What's new

Strong forces, love them or hate them?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Certain rides and elements are either loved or hated from preference of how they prefer the forces. An example are the Batman clones, they are loved by many, but hated by many for the same reason people love them. Same with pretzel loops and other "intense" parts of rides, like the turn after the drop on I-305 or Skyrush in general. what are your opinions on the strong forces like these, or any other that comes to mind.

One thing I have seemed to notice is that is varies based on where you are from. Americans seem to enjoy stronger forces, while those across the pond don't. Is this accurate or am I just noticing it from some people and not the others?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
tomahawKSU said:
Skyrush in general
Enough said!

As far as Americans loving forces more than other nationalities - I simply can't agree with you there, bud. The reaction of everyone at the Live to SkyRush, Bizarro & Phoenix was equal across the board.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I hate feeling like an obese person is sad on my head, therefore rides like Batman, Intimidator 305 and various other vile contraptions in the US last summer really went to the bottom of the list.

I do enjoy intense airtime and intense launches though.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Ejector airtime and big launches are great, but I don't like massive positive G's if they go on for too long.

Mike

Giga Poster
I'm the same as Jordan really.

Give me big, swoopy hills with a ton of speed and plenty of airtime any day, but leave the high G turny bits out of it... That said, I LOVED Kumba, although I do think this could just be an exception.

marc

CF Legend
I prefer high positive g.

Airtime to me is boring. I don't mind ejector time, but floater time on b&m's is just lame. I prefer out of control rides.

I just prefer speed, love the feeling of the air pushing me back and taking my breath away.

This is probably why I prefer older coaster to newer ones. Am probably going to have to change what I like as high g coasters are becoming harder and harder to find.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Haven't yet met a G-force I didn't like. Strong positives, ejector or floaty negatives, lats, in-line G's, zero G... I'll take the lot of them. Coasters like I305 & El Toro which combine several of these into one ride are my favorites. I also generally just love the sensations of speed & altitude as well, which is probably why I have Millennium Force higher than most enthusiasts.

ECG said:
As far as Americans loving forces more than other nationalities - I simply can't agree with you there, bud. The reaction of everyone at the Live to SkyRush, Bizarro & Phoenix was equal across the board.

Those are all airtime machines, though, and I think Tom was mostly referring to rides like I305 or Batman which are known for their high positive G's (correct me if I'm wrong on that). I've sort of noticed the same thing, but I agree with what you're saying & I think that the error in this observation is based on a limited sample size of opinions. I can't imagine that there'd be some sort of cultural difference that would incline Americans to prefer positive G's more than the British do. If anything, our fat asses should hate them more for multiplying our already-excessive weight, right? :wink:

It just depends on the kind of forces. I dislike strong positive G forces like on I-305 simply because I don't think the sensation of dying or greying out is an enjoyable one. Strong laterals can be okay but if it smashes my side into the train and hurts my rib cage, then no.

Strong linears and strong negatives are okay though!

Snoo

The Legend
ECG said:
tomahawKSU said:
Skyrush in general
Enough said!

Well.. for SkyRush.. MOSTLY across the board. :p

I love every force really. Of course.. there can be too much of a good thing.. such as SkyRush.. which blurred the line between acceptable and painful airtime.. which I never thought would happen. As I've noted before, if I have to LEARN to ride something for it to be comfortable, that's too much.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Love em.
ALL strong forces: positive, negative...lateral? Sure why not. Though those may be the worst. I like a rough ride but not a painful one, so yeah a shaky woodie is cool but when thrown into the sides too hard that sucks.
Forceful rides like I305 and Batman are great, and ejector air is always fun.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Snoo said:
ECG said:
tomahawKSU said:
Skyrush in general
Enough said!

Well.. for SkyRush.. MOSTLY across the board. :p

I love every force really. Of course.. there can be too much of a good thing.. such as SkyRush.. which blurred the line between acceptable and painful airtime.. which I never thought would happen. As I've noted before, if I have to LEARN to ride something for it to be comfortable, that's too much.

I was the only person who came off of Skyrush with a moan, and it wasn't about the restraints! ;) I like positive forces a lot, but the only - repeat only - ride thus far in my coaster experiences which I have found to be too intense was Skyrush. I loved the first ride during the day, but during the ERT, after about 3 rides it was making me feel a bit ill and I had to take a quick two minute rest before I continued. The rattling trains didn't help much though (and if the ride was a bit smoother I don't think I'd have felt so ill as to actually necessitate a rest).

I would say I like airtime more than positive-g though, even if both are high on my list of enjoyment factors.

BBH

Giga Poster
Only thing I truly can't stand are lateral forces, but everyone's on that same boat.

So long as my school bus driver's not sitting on me, or at least it doesn't feel that way, I WILL enjoy the ride.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I loved the relentlessness of batman - but I think if you combined the forces with extreme roughness it would be totally unpleasant - although I'm surprised that some people love Nemesis but hate Batman

Ben

CF Legend
I love strong forces <3 Batman is amazing <3

I think I'd adore Skyrush, it looks insane.

I do love the not so forceful stuff like B&M hypers too, but, you also can't go wrong with an Intamin hyper that isn't in Germany or at SFA.

Forceful launches are amazing too <3

Brookes

Giga Poster
Yeah I really enjoy strong positive g-force. It was probably the first thing I looked for in a good coaster before I rode anything with any proper airtime. Sometimes too much can get a bit uncomfortable though and start to give you a headache, as I found on rides such as Dragon Kahn and Speed: No Limits.

AquaTrax

Mega Poster
If a Linear is super long like Superman: Ride Of Steel at Six Flags America, it sucks, but if it is powerful, it's fun. I don't like big positive g's on helixes or high speed turns, or even inversions. I like negative g force way better though. When I experience airtime I feel proud for a brief second because I feel like a weigh less. (Joke, well half of it) I kind of have to agree with Taylor on this one.