What's new

Spotify

peep

CF Legend
I came across this awesome new program on the BBC website. It is a new downloadable music player. What's the difference with this one then? It already has thousands of music ready for you to listen to! You can have a free version or pay a small fee each month.

How is it paid for then? Every now and then it plays an advert, the advertisement revenue pays for the royalties for the music. So not only can you listen to the music you want but it's legal :D

I downloaded it earlier and it is great. Obviously it doesn't have everything you might want to listen to but it is new and it'll probably grow.

Website

Ben

CF Legend
God, I've had it for weeks, catch up :p Only because a hottie gave me a link to the beta a while back...

What I love about it the most is the vast amount of random musical albums I can listen to on it I've not even been able to find anywhere else <3

And stuff in other languages, like Disney soundtracks, so I can say I'm "practising for the listening test", when in fact, I just like the Lion King. In any language.

It's amazing. Everyone should get it. My iTunes hasn't been opened since I got it xD

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Yeah, i've had it for a couple of weeks now. NME had a big article a few weeks back on it. It has got a pretty large archive already, and the Spotify fellas are claiming they want to have all music on there before long, but that sounds like a slightly audacious claim. I had a bit of a search around when I first got it and there's still a fair amount of my own collection not available on there, so its not usurped my own music collection yet. If they can acheive their aim, it could be a very good tool indeed, especially seeing as its in the pipeline to make it portable, effectively meaning it'll rival other portable music devices.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
I heard about it off another site a looong time ago. It's glorious, and it has the Nightmare Before Christmas <3

Now, if only last.fm scrobbled what was listened to...

Mike

Giga Poster
I'm LOVING this program.
Almost any song I want to listen to, with minimum faff, and I'm actually listening to some music legally for once. :lol:
Thanks John!

Mike

Giga Poster
Probably because the music you listen to is rubbish that noone's ever heard of before. ;)

Ben

CF Legend
If there's a better use of time than working your way through every recording of Les Miserables ever, I don't want to know it.

<3

Lea Salonga

<3 <3

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Well, I didn't give them any credit card details, so they'd better not have any! Its the free service, who'd pay just to get rid of a brief advert every now and again?

peep

CF Legend
^It says in the article that it was also before Christmas and not a lot of details were taken. Not as fail as monster, how many times has that site been hacked now?

Ben

CF Legend
I wouldn't want to get rid of them, it's fun to have them go "Hi, this is Roberta from Spotify" to which you can reply "Hi Roberta from Spotify"

It adds a little social element to it all.

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
LMAO Ben! :p

How many people have actually had their details taken? Surely not enough people pay for it to be THAT many....

It has Leonard Cohen.... so i'm happy.... even if it doesn't like Above and Beyond...

NASHER

Roller Poster
It's very good, I got it weeks ago.
It's got some good stuff, but there are some very good/popular bands missing. (pink floyd, AC/DC, Led Zep e.t.c) but overall I think it's a very good service, and can only get better with time. The adverts aren't at all intrusive, and only last for thirty secconds or so, so it's not realy a problem. I also found it interesting that U2's new album was up before it's release. Could spotify be used more and more like this as a tool to push albums prior to release? It's certainly an interesting thought.
I think that this can only be a good thing for the music industry, as I am strugling to think of any benefits that ilegal file sharing has over this (other than putting the music on mobile devices). It is easy, fast, high quality and virus free. While it may not be the be all and end all of the online music business, I feel that it is a very exciting new piece of technology.

lol

Mega Poster
Ploddish said:
I heard about it off another site a looong time ago. It's glorious, and it has the Nightmare Before Christmas <3

Now, if only last.fm scrobbled what was listened to...

It does.