What's new

Spinball Whizzer to Sonic Spinball?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
If they fail to have Sonic music, I'll kill somone.

They won't use classic music, though. They won't even use the good early 2000's cheese. They will use up to date trash, prob from the game that the retheme is celebrating.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Ok, someone cleary has too much time on their hands if their uploading the Sonic drowning effects to youtube.

Made me laugh though.

yinyang

Mega Poster
Jools said:
Do you know what would be great, if the drowning music went into the Alton Towers theme tune, it could easily work. cool) If the Alton Towers theme sounded 2000 cheesy pop.

Made me laugh insanely, Jools you deserve a medal, great quote :)

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I actually wouldn't mind some music from Sonic CD. The music in that game is ace AND it's retro, too :--D

But I REALLYREALLYREALLY think they should use Chemical Plant Zone. It's an awesome tune and it's massively popular among us fans.

Just as long as they don't use anything from Sonic Heroes and onwards it'll be brilliant <3

kimahri

CF Legend
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIseg6zeBA0[/youtube]

1:12 <3

And Sonic really needs to die off.

Darren

Roller Poster
This pretty much confirms the Sonic re-theme of Spinball Whizzer:

Sonic.jpg

http://www.altontowers.com/

Ollie

CF Legend
So the track is still going to be red? So basically they've made the supports slightly darker and stuck Sonic vinils on the cars over the Spinball logo.

Dave

CF Legend
But who cares Benin!? **** sake, its a quick solution to a ride that had flaking paint and a lacklustre theme.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
So we're replacing a lacklustre theme with a lacklustre theme?

I dislike quick solutions like this... There's such a difference in the older rides at Towers compared to the newer ones...

Surely they could've spent money on making Air's tunnel better? Especially if the rumours are indeed true of this moving eventually...

Jake

Strata Poster
^ Yeah, but they're already getting a new coaster this year, so what would be the point in stealing the limelight from that?

Besides, Spinball is a 'cash cow' coaster anyway. It's popular, but not something that people especially visit the park for. They're just tidying it up a bit. It's always going to be liked by the GP, but it's never going to be amazing, so theres no point in spending loads of cash on it.

Darren

Roller Poster
More information now:

A Sonic-branded rollercoaster will launch at Alton Towers next month.

The rollercoaster is part of a three-year deal between Alton Towers and Sega, which will see the publisher hold exclusive video game rights at the resort. The Alton Towers Hotel will also feature a Sonic The Hedgehog themed room, which guests can stay in and play the latest Sonic games.

The rollercoaster is an updated version of Alton Towers’ Spinball Whizzer, and will be called the Sonic Spinball as of Saturday, February 13th.

“We are delighted to be working with Merlin Entertainments and Alton Towers Resort” said Sega UK marketing director Amanda Farr.

“Partnering Sonic with one of the UK’s most popular destinations for a family day out is a fantastic opportunity for people to engage, and have fun, with the Sonic brand. I’ll certainly be there at the launch of the rollercoaster to have my turn!”

Alton Towers’ sales and marketing director Morwenna Angove added: “It’s a great joint venture between the Alton Towers Resort and Sega. The affiliation of both brands will add to the great family offering at the Resort for kids seeking fabulous family fun and adrenalin addicted adults.”

And a new logo:

SonicLogo.jpg

New theming, sound effects and car design is expected for the new season.

tks

Strata Poster
Alton aren't exactly advertising this as a new ride (sort of) I don't see what the problem is. Sponsorship deals happen with rides all the time, Tidal Wave - Original Source, MANY RIDES - Imperial Leather.

It spruces the thing up, and Spinball was looking a bit PALE last season anyway.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
So we're replacing a lacklustre theme with a lacklustre theme?

I dislike quick solutions like this... There's such a difference in the older rides at Towers compared to the newer ones...

Surely they could've spent money on making Air's tunnel better? Especially if the rumours are indeed true of this moving eventually...

I think you're missing the base point here Benin.

The sponsorship means that Alton get Spinball repainted for free, and a free bit of PR.

They've not spent money on this, Sega are paying for it all. So the choice was:

1. Pay no money and have a tired looking ride.
2. Pay no money and have your tired looking ride repainted a fresh new theme.

Clearly, nobody is going for option 1.