What's new

Song of 2010

nealbie

CF Legend
So, there's an album topic, why not branch it out to those who aren't really interested in music at all and just absorb the **** that Simon Cowell and co. pump into the charts?

So, what are your top 10 songs (singles) that were released this year? Will be interesting to see what CF's mainstream music tastes are! :p

1. Crossfire - Brandon Flowers
2. For The First Time - The Script
3. Resistance - Muse
4. This Ain't A Love Song - Scouting For Girls
5. The Flood - Take That
6. Fireflies - Owl City
7. Famous - Scouting For Girls
8. Could You Be The One? - Stereophonics
9. Take It Off - Ke$ha (if only she would! :roll: )
10. Shame - Gary Barlow & Robbie Williams

The album, certainly....... the song, was February I believe.... may have been Jan.

And YOU'RE supposed to be the Muse fan here! ;)

I don't bother with singles, especially ones that have already been released in an album...

Henceforth, in my eyes, the song was ORIGINALLY released in 2009... Hence it should be up for consideration in this...

Neutron Star Collision however, can be...

Tbh, I don't know.

I listen to several radios stations throughout the week, yet I have very little idea of what's actually current. I don't follow music. I listen to what's on and if I like it, it sticks.

Tomorrow I could hear a song for the first time that's been released for several years. It's new to me, but not necessarily released this year.

So to save myself embarrassment, I'm not going to list songs that have been a "Song of 2010" because some pendant is bound to come along and say "that was released in July 2008" or something similar. And that cheeses me off.

My favourite song of 2010 is I Walked by Sufjan Stevens. It's very simple but it's one of those tracks that gets better with every listen.

I love songs that I love straight away, but it's the growers that are truely great. I also think Robyn has not released a bad pop track the entire year, and that's with 3 albums so go her.

I'm sure there's alot more but on the spot that's what I'm thinkin.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25OC3m5QdYY[/youtube]

This isn't definitive by far, just what I can think of. And not in order.

1. Dancing On My Own - Robyn
2. Your Love Is My Drug - Ke$ha (album was last year, single was this year, so shut up Benin)
3. F**k You - Cee Lo Green
4. The Flood - Take That
5. Stay The Night - James Blunt
6. Just The Way You Are - Bruno Mars
7. My Wicked Heart - Diana Vickers
8. Telephone - Lady Gaga (see number two's additional notes)
9. Love The Way You Lie - Eminem
10. The Only Exception - Paramore (again, number two's notes)

Yeah, that's good by me.

1. Na Na Na - My Chemical Romance
2. The Final Frontier - Iron Maiden
3. Let The Guilt Go - Korn
4. Alejandro - Lady Gaga
5. Serpents In Solitude - Funeral For A Friend
6. The Last Fight - Bullet For My Valentine
7. Keep On Bringing Me Down - Forever The Sickest Kids
8. Nightmare - Avenged Sevenfold
9. Fear Campaign - Fear Factory
10. Witchcraft - Pendulum

That's about it. With the exception of a few, not much on this list ever got played on the radio, but were still released as singles. Because radio stations hate metal. I never really listen to the radio, but from what I did hear this year it was awful.

Enigma Shadow said:
1. Na Na Na - My Chemical Romance
2. The Final Frontier - Iron Maiden
... Get out :p That's blasphemy, right there...
And while my research shows it only saw release as a single in the States, I'm still going to argue that The Only Hope For Me Is You has been the best single to come out of Danger Days thus far, though I'll allow SING an honourable mention as well.
Basically, as if Neal's cruel reminder that 2010 provided offerings from Scouting For Girls AND City of Owls wasn't enough, I've come to the conclusion that it's been a fairly slow year in terms of singles. That said, I only really end up with singles if they come out before an anticipated album release...
Since all I've just done is gone through iTunes finding anything with a 2010 release date, this list isn't exactly going to be definitive, and sorry to anything obvious I miss :)

- MCR's two US releases, as we've already mentioned.
- Maiden's Satellite 15... The Final Frontier, even if it was one of the weaker of their 21st century singles.
- Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare. Totally agreed, but with the best living drummer taking up the sticks, what did we expect?
- Bullet For My Valentine - The Last Fight was a good choice, but I think Your Betrayal just about has the edge on it. Bittersweet Memories, again, is only a US release :? Regardless, a true return to form following the awkward [and downright wet in some places] second album.
- Atreyu - Lonely. Their 2009-10 releases paled in comparison to the first three albums, but... it came out this year, and it's on my iPod, so it gets a mention.
- We Are The Fallen - Bury Me Alive. Rising from the ashes of Evanescence, everything on this album smacked of unfulfilled potential, but while a former American idol contestant didn't exactly help, the Spring release lent the lyrics a certain amount of potency.
- Amy Macdonald - Don't Tell Me That It's Over. Yes. Seriously. For reasons beyond my comprehension, I think she's amazing.
- Lena - Satellite. Her chart performance here didn't exactly match that of elsewhere in Europe, nor in Eurovision itself, but unforgettable as the song was, iTunes seemed to think it deserved to be remembered.
- Goo Goo Dolls - Home. Again, God only knows how this lot have found their way into my iTunes, and while they're last on the list because I only just remembered them, this song got a LOT of play from me over the Summer.

... and if there's any justice in the world, then Seventh Wonder's Alley Cat will see single release in some quarter, thus fairly conclusively topping my list.

I... think I've almost managed ten there, and I'm sure Neal will be quick to point out some guilty pleasure wallpaper or other that I've forgotten Spotifying over the last 11 months :) Weirdly, I vaguely remember us agreeing on a surprising amount of chartbothering drivvel in the Jubilee Odyssey station back in August :p

On my last.fm my top 10 played (from 2010) are:

1. The Saturdays - Higher
2. The Saturdays - Missing You
3. Cascada - Pyromania
4. Ke$ha - Take It Off
5. Katy Perry - California Gurls
6. Ke$ha - Your Love Is My Durg
7. Sugababes - Wear My Kiss
8. The Saturdays - Puppet (although not a single) =Sugababes - About A Girl
9. Cascada - Night Nurse
10. B.o.B - Airplanes = Ke$ha - We R Who We R

1: Katy B - Katy On A Mission
2: Chris Brown - Yeah x3
3: David Guetta ft Rihanna - Who's that Chick
4: Katy B - Louder
5: BoB ft Hayleigh Williams - Airplanes
6: Robyn - Criminal Intent
7: Afrojacks ft Eva Simmons - Take over control
8: Natalia Kills - Mirrors
9: Swedish House Mafia - One
10: Jessie J - Do it Like a dude / Do It like a dude (Jakwob Remix)

This is my list of 2010.

Will said:
I... think I've almost managed ten there, and I'm sure Neal will be quick to point out some guilty pleasure wallpaper or other that I've forgotten Spotifying over the last 11 months :) Weirdly, I vaguely remember us agreeing on a surprising amount of chartbothering drivvel in the Jubilee Odyssey station back in August :p

Ohhhhh, why did you have to bring up Fantasy Island's ATROCIOUS taste in music?!

I do certainly remember us agreeing that neither of us wanted to be Avril Lavigne's girlfriend! :p

And unfortunately Show Me How wasn't released as a single from KCACO, so I can't think of anything obvious that you might have missed.

1.Deadmau5 - Strobe
2.Edward Maya - Stereo Love
3.Afrojack ft Eva Simons - Take Over Control
4.Katy B - Katy On A Mission
5.Tim Berg - Seek Bromance
6.Rusko - Woo Boost
7.Chase & Status - Let You Go
8.Magnetic Man - I Need Air
9.Skrillex - Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites
10.Pendulum - The Island (Part2)

Higher by DeeMinion.

I somehow KNEW that would be your post, Ian.

I haven't listened myself - but I sense high sarcasm levels! :p

Tbh, it's not as bad as I was expecting (sorry, Jools :p). Not my cup of tea, but yeah, it was ok.

I had a listen..... I didn't like it. BUT. It wasn't atrocious like I was expecting.

Hope that career path goes well for you though! :)

What makes everyone think it's going to be bad, I know pop isn't everyones cup of tea, but to be honest I love my pop, but I just enjoy the writing and recording, it makes me go to another world where I can express my feelings and imagine anything, thanks, my next single will be out in January or February, it's a bit different, quite a uinique sound, but maybe that's a good thing, album spring next year too. :) Anyway back on topic XD

Can't really think of a huge number right now, so in no particular order:

Katy Perry - California Gurls: It's not that it's a good song particularly, but it really reminds me of this whole summer, which was **** ing fab!

Robyn - Dancing on my Own: Loved it from the first time I heard it and another "anthem" from my summer trip. I miss San Diego :sad:

Janelle Monae - Tightrope: Instantly loved it when I heard it in a club in New York and it introduced me to one of my new favourite singers. **** ing love her.

Nicki Minaj & Eminem - Roman's Revenge: I want to dislike the "Kim Clone Clown", but I can't, though I am looking forward to seeing Lil' Kim smack the s**t out of her.

Lil' Kim - Black Friday: Response to the above track. Clever and brilliant. Very "old school" Lil' Kim and no doubt fodder for a lot more stuff to come.