What's new

Sochi 2014

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster
After seeing the Ice Hockey topic, I decided to make a general topic for the Olympics, I will watch a lot of it, this year, because I love it so much.

TilenB

Strata Poster
No comments about the Olympics? That's kind of surprising...
These Olympics are turning out to become the most successful in the Slovene sport's history. So far we have 3 medals, Peter Prevc's silver in ski jumping, Vesna Fabjan's bronze in Cross-Country and Teja Gregorin's bronze in biathlon.
And about the other sports. I find it quite surprising that Shaun White didn't even get a medal in Half Pipe. Also Great Britain got their first Ski/Snowboard olympic medal in Women's Snowboarding Slopestyle. Congrats!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I'm really enjoying watching it, especially the skiing and snowboarding! I'm not too keen on the curling! Loving the games!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I have been watching hours and hours and hours of these Olympics. Even recording it to watch after 21:00GMT. I just wanna watch as much as I possibly can, I understand why you might boycott watching, Russia's general attitude to the gay community isn't great but the way I see it, it's the IOC's Games just being held in Russia, why not support your country and athletes just because some in Russia give it a bad name.

I've watched speed skating, cross country skiing, curling, ice hockey, figure skating, freestyle skiing, half pipe, luge. I just can't wait for the skeleton and bobsleigh. So good. So interesting. Love it.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
American coverage is dog ****. I'm recording every event as it is recorded, and it seems like almost all of them just turn into figure skating.

I'm spending a few hours a day fast forwarding til I get to the event I want to see. Can't wait for bobsled!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Team USA are doing poorly compared to what they usually do and what I was expecting them to do.

Team GB...well we only have two mountains and there in Scotland so a bronze will do nicely.

And how Shaun White didn't snap his board earlier I'll have no idea.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I go NUTS about any international sports and I've been blowing up Facebook with plenty I posts abou everything. Screamed and cursed REALLY loudly last night after seeing Shaun White mess up twice not because he messed up, but because that was a SORRY half pipe. Should've true to do it in a colder day so it wasn't all slushy and killed all the speed.

Other athletes this year I really like are Alex Bilodeau (so happy he won!), Lolo Jones, Gracie Gold, that Yulia girl from Russia, and Belle Brockhoff. And really enjoying Apollo Ohno an Jonny Wier as commentators for the US broadcast. Since it's his last year I really hope Shaun White does this for Pyeongchang if he can.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Problem is there aren't colder days. It was 20C (70F) in Sochi today. Yes it's colder in the mountains. they have natural snow, but the half pipe is only just above the snow line...and the snow in the pipe is being used, and will continue to be used.

I head from somewhere the speeds on the luge were around a second quicker than at Vancouver because the surface of the ice was very damp adding further lubrication.

therick311

Mega Poster
2012Jarrett said:
Screamed and cursed REALLY loudly last night after seeing Shaun White mess up twice not because he messed up, but because that was a SORRY half pipe. Should've true to do it in a colder day so it wasn't all slushy and killed all the speed.

While I agree that the weather has been creating some challenging conditions for some events, the conditions are the same for everyone. He borked it.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Shaun White just blew it. He should have done the same thing in the finals that he did in qualifying - namely putting down his routine from last year's X-Games for his first run. He can do that blindfolded and received a score of 95.75 for it in the qualifier. That would have put even more pressure on I.Pod for the second run and would have guaranteed him a medal, regardless if he landed the YOLO on his second run or not. It's even likely that he would have won without ever taking a second run since I.Pod finished with a 87.5.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Finally, Team GB have a very real chance of a gold today in the women's skeleton.

4 years ago in Vancouver, Amy Williams took gold for Great Britain in the women's skeleton, she's retired, can Lizzy Yarnold do it for Britain?

I'll just edit this in:

SHE'S DONE IT! Lizzy Yarnold has taken Team GB's first gold medal of the Sochi Games, absolutely brilliant. It's also Britain's 10th ever gold medal.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Norway has performed well below expectations this time 'round. Fourth places and fifth places in events such as cross-country or biathlon, where our skiers have swept the events at the World Championships for years. Petter Northug, AKA the most hyped thought-to-be gold winner we've had for years, hasn't got a single medal yet. Marit Bjørgen, possibly the best female skier in history, failed miserably at her parade event. The ski jumpers haven't done terribly well either, and the Dutch have become too good at skating for us to conceivably beat. We totally dominated the sport until the concept of indoor skating halls was invented.

At least we've done better than the Swedes, though. And we still top the all-time medal statistics, though other countries are creeping closer for every Olympics, mostly due to the inclusion of new events we don't have athletes for. Still, adjusted for population, I think we have no reason to complain about the statistics.

lauren

Roller Poster
I'm really happy with Canada so far. We did exceptionally well at Vancouver, with the home crowd, and I don't really expect a repeat performance. Really proud of finishing Gold & Silver in Men's and Women's Moguls. I can't wait for hockey :D

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I've been sleeping weirdly for the past few weeks, so usually am up for the early 5am-8am starting events in the UK and being busy throughout the day so missing the rest. Slowly becoming a curling expert.

I'm personally really looking forward to the 2022 Winter Olympics in Georgia!

...Alabama.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Pokemaniac said:
Norway has performed well below expectations this time 'round. Fourth places and fifth places in events such as cross-country or biathlon, where our skiers have swept the events at the World Championships for years. Petter Northug, AKA the most hyped thought-to-be gold winner we've had for years, hasn't got a single medal yet. Marit Bjørgen, possibly the best female skier in history, failed miserably at her parade event. The ski jumpers haven't done terribly well either, and the Dutch have become too good at skating for us to conceivably beat. We totally dominated the sport until the concept of indoor skating halls was invented.

At least we've done better than the Swedes, though. And we still top the all-time medal statistics, though other countries are creeping closer for every Olympics, mostly due to the inclusion of new events we don't have athletes for. Still, adjusted for population, I think we have no reason to complain about the statistics.

What about Aksel Lund Svindal? He was also quite utterly defeated in alpine skiing. He was the main favorite for gold in both of the speed disciplines, yet he got away with only 4th and 7th place. But on the other hand, Jansrud's gold and bronze were a huge surprise (at least for me), so that Norway didn't leave Rosa Kutor completely empty-handed.
Taking the ski jumping into the consideration, I believe that (after how the whole season has gone for Norway so far) Bardal's bronze should be considered as success.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I got REALLY mad and flipped over a tray table watching figure skating yesterday. I'm sorry, but five of the six people that places above Ashley Wagner FELL. Very happy for all of the athletes, big congrats to Adelina Sotnikova, but I really felt like the judging was **** .

I just don't do well with bad judging. Wish I had footage of some of my reactions to the 2010 World Cup.