What's new

Snow Closing UK Parks

Pierre

Strata Poster
Due to the adverse weather the UK is experiencing, Alton Towers and Drayton Manor have both announced they won't be opening today.

I know this weather is unusual for this time of year but I guess does bring the argument back about parks opening early in the year I guess? Not ideal for the opening weekend(s) of your season.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Lightwater Valley have just joined that list... they were due to open for first time this season today.

Worries me that one, theres not a drop of snow where I am but LWV is only 40 mins down the A19 :? must just instantly get mega at some point.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I personally think it's down to money, not guest safety.

The snow ain't that bad really, t'is windy though. But ultimately, it's VERY cold. Wind chill is well into the minus temps, I didn't enjoy getting to my car, let alone walking around a park riding coasters.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think parks should open every day their calendar states, regardless of weather.

Availability of attractions on offer is different. That could be effected by staff unable to get to work, the cold, etc. But as long as guests are aware when they enter the park, and asap via websites, Twitter and Facebook, there is no issue.

People book trips in advance and they often cannot be canceled.

I went to Dollywood on a snowy day. Sucked, but the park deciding to close would have been worse.

Parks can solve many issues by providing a variety of attractions and entertainment so that there is stuff to do in the event of weather related closure. There would also be benefit to parks in that they could provide a different experience during winter months and remain open, like Dollywood, Busch and even Chessington do.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

nadroJ

CF Legend
ERMAHGERD SNUR!

Seriously though, I'd love to walk through Alton Towers in proper snow, I've done it in light snow before with no problems.

marc

CF Legend
Joey it's also for the safety of people getting there both the public and workers. The roads leading to Alton are bad enough in the rain let alone the snow.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Definitely guest safety. Like joey said, they could run on reduced operations and ask certain staff not to come in... It's amazing what people think, I know it's a whole different ball game but we had to postpone a Boxing Day game at home before. People were convinced its so we didn't have to pay double time but in reality we lost thousands and thousands of pounds on hospitality and general ticket sales as the replay was a Tuesday night in feb :)

What do we think of this unprofessional tweet from flamingo land? https://twitter.com/flamingolanduk/stat ... 8795432960

T0M

Hyper Poster
^ I found it quite humorous. Lightwater Valley always make bitchy swipes on Facebook regarding things happening at Alton Towers - "our car parking is free" etc.

Pleasure Beach seemed to have made a veiled swipe as well by saying they were OPEN shortly after Alton Towers broke the bad news.

spud

Roller Poster
I live ten miles from lightwater and theres no snow here at all, even earlier on there was only a light sprinkle, can't imagine its much worse ten miles down the road.

marc

CF Legend
Yeah Pierre I did see that tweet was going to reply to them saying at least other parks open their rides when the suns out but thought better of it.

Spud the other week there was no snow 6 miles from home but there was 5 miles from home and it took me nearly 3 hours to do them 5 miles.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Good on them I say. Going by what Gavin said in that other thread, LWV have been pretty bitchy towards FL before, so right back at 'em I say.

Mark

Strata Poster
I'm sorry but I think it is very good that the parks shut in extreme weather.

First, one of the things you always hear is to avoid making journeys unless utterly necessary. It would be incredibly irresponsible for theme parks to encourage (by default) people out onto the roads. Especially when so many cars are getting stranded on the roads with snow actually settling up to the roof. They showed an image of Derby and it was insane levels of snow.

Secondly, I highly doubt that they have the staff numbers available that would be able to keep the park safe. Alton is treachourous in ice conditions for instance. With hilly areas etc it wouldnt be long before someone falls over and does them self a mischief.

Granted they could open but not have rides open but I'd be pretty hacked off if I did manage to get there only to find the park open but I couldn't actually do anything. That would be a complete waste of a ticket.

Given the situation at the moment and what I just saw on the news, it's far safer for them to close.

Rob

Mega Poster
Don't start getting hmphy about it. If Alton opened, you'd have pretty much no coasters. B&M's (anyone who visited Thorpe back in the February openings will know this), have a required minimum temperature to operate. Typically around 4-8 degrees, considering today was -1, you're going to struggle. Secondly, you're guaranteed to valley a coaster when it faces standing snow on the running rail. Think about the wheel assembly; it'll just fill the thing up and add super friction to the train; roller coasters are not fitted with snow plows!

Parks will of course have to consider guest safety, operational abilities etc, but there is also the added question of who in the right mind would venture out into a foot of snow (as is the case at my house in Leeds), to go to a theme park, to get flung around at temperatures probably not far from -10 with windchill considered?

It's full expected and understandable! Also for those living near lightwater claiming lack of snow; it's VERY localised. I work in York, where it's bare, and live in Leeds, where I had to dig my car out this morning - and have seen all varieties of snow cover in between!

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ I know the snow is 'VERY localised', I was more concerned about the snow reaching me - I wasn't claiming LWV were closing for the sake of it :)

LWV have just announced they won't be open today either.
Alton announced they won't be open today last night.
Drayton Manor haven't officially announced but people are claiming on twitter they're closed again too.

Edit : Drayton have officially announced they're closed now too.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
If New York can get their **** together and running like normal during extreme weather, than so can we. Trouble is, our governments / corporate facilities are tight bastards and would rather save money than keep a promise.

As you can tell, I am an expert in this field and I know everything there is to know about these situations.... :?:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
If New York can get their **** together and running like normal during extreme weather, than so can we. Trouble is, our governments / corporate facilities are tight bastards and would rather save money than keep a promise.

As you can tell, I am an expert in this field and I know everything there is to know about these situations.... :?:

Just so I'm clear here - is this the same "new york" where coney island was closed all day on our visit last year due to "moderate rain"?

nadroJ

CF Legend
caffeine_demon said:
Screaming Coasters said:

Just so I'm clear here - is this the same "new york" where coney island was closed all day on our visit last year due to "moderate rain"?

Ohhhh SNAP! XD

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Haha, caffeine_demon <3 It's very true though ;)

Mark said:
They showed an image of Derby and it was insane levels of snow.

We got about 3 inches one day, 2 inches again overnight here in Derby. Not that bad really - all of the A and B roads were clear and fine. Having said that, the further into Derbyshire you get and into Staffordshire border, it was treacherous and my friend who works for AT couldn't get anywhere near the Towers.

Alton were calling in all staff today who could make it to clear the snow ready to open tomorrow as much as possible. Staff who made it in to the area before the snow hit have been kept at the hotel for a few nights for free as they've been unable to exit the park, as have some guests I believe (Maddy's been at the park this weekend, hasn't she?).

Personally, I think Alton, Drayton and other parks in the midlands area were right to shut. Guest safety and employee safety should always be first.