What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

davidm

Strata Poster
Cast-off Thorpe Park attraction finds its way to Salford...

BBC News said:
The 2,500 sq m I'm A Celebrity... Jungle Challenge will be part of the new Watergardens development next to the Lowry Outlet Mall in Salford, Greater Manchester.

(OK, not really; there was a recent announcement of some sort of ScruffyDog/ITV related thing at Salford Quays ; LINK HERE and HERE - obviously this is that)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
While checking out potential creds for a Tokyo trip, I noticed that Surf Coaster Leviathan at Hakkeijima Sea Paradise is listed as SBNO:

https://rcdb.com/1258.htm

That's a massive shame if true since it was a fab coaster, and now means that park has no coasters left at all. I don't always trust RCDB's SBNO listings since it's been known for people to just get spited and then report something as SBNO when it isn't, but I won't be making the effort to find out for myself this time.

Also, Enchanted Kingdom outside Manila is finally getting a new coaster, a custom Mack spinner. It's a smaller one at around 55 feet tall and 1,260 feet long (a bit smaller than the Sierra Sidewinder model), but it's still quite major for a park that opened in 1995 with a Vekoma rollerskater and second-hand boomerang and nothing else since.

https://rcdb.com/17773.htm

TilenB

Strata Poster
While checking out potential creds for a Tokyo trip, I noticed that Surf Coaster Leviathan at Hakkeijima Sea Paradise is listed as SBNO:

https://rcdb.com/1258.htm

That's a massive shame if true since it was a fab coaster, and now means that park has no coasters left at all. I don't always trust RCDB's SBNO listings since it's been known for people to just get spited and then report something as SBNO when it isn't, but I won't be making the effort to find out for myself this time.

Their website lists both the coaster and the Blue Fall drop tower as being down for 'equipment inspection'. Google translate makes it sound like a temporary thing and the rides are still listed on there, so hopefully it'll all reopen before too long.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
For surf coaster Equipment inspection is a polite way of saying the ride crashed so we are closed while we sort all this out.

Back in August a full train hit the back of an empty one in the station injuring a man and a woman
 According to Seapara, the coaster is a mechanism that automatically stops the vehicle by getting rubbed against the lane at the landing, but it didn't stop. The rear-end vehicle was a 24-seater and 23 people were in the vehicle. At the time of the accident, he was traveling at a speed of about 10 km / h.

The coaster will cease operating until the cause is known. Sea Para acknowledged, “We take the situation seriously and heavily and work to prevent recurrence”

As we know with any Japanese rides minor accidents can lead to fairly long shut downs. But I'd be surprised if it didn't open again.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Which park in South America has a clone of Blue Fall?
Beto Carrero.... but without the audio or false drops
Although looking at Wikipedia, it says it's not as tall as BF, but I believe when it was sold they were supposed to be identical. But wiki can be wrong

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Also, Enchanted Kingdom outside Manila is finally getting a new coaster, a custom Mack spinner. It's a smaller one at around 55 feet tall and 1,260 feet long (a bit smaller than the Sierra Sidewinder model), but it's still quite major for a park that opened in 1995 with a Vekoma rollerskater and second-hand boomerang and nothing else since.

https://rcdb.com/17773.htm

Out of interest, where might RCDB have found these stats for the spinning coaster? I'd like to see if there is a layout available as well.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Knotts and Triotech to announce new attraction for the park at IAAPA 2019 (see in twitter but easier just to copy the schedule)

Also yay for gwazi car unveiling. Some other interesting sounding things on there as well. Looks like Luna Park (Coney Island) might be getting a new cred (edit: which apparently has been announced) as well as new rides from Zamperla.

Last edited: