What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
A 60-year-old female worker died Friday, two days after falling from a golf cart in the backstage area at Disneyland in California. The employee, who worked as an administrator for Club 33 (the exclusive members-only dining club located above the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction), received a head injury in the fall. Source

How does it get stuck like that, I would have thought stafety systems would have been in place to get it back down at the very least? Would gravity have been impossible/unsafe?

Last edited:

Boodangy

Mega Poster
^ Wha... How does that happen??? The gondola side of the arm is still much heavier than the counterweight, like this has to be the most freaky combination of perfect amount of momentum during a power cut off combined with perfect wind conditions etc for it to reach equilibrium like that. Never mind people swinging their legs moves pendulums like this more than you'd think (source, I go on an intamin gyro swing 3-6 times a week)

If it's not the perfect coincidence/combination like I described then the only other idea I can come up with is that Zamperla also puts a physical brake in their pendulum rides that might kick in to slow the arm down during an emergency stop, like said intamin gyro I go on regularly (the emergency brake is LOUD) but I wouldn't imagine that kicking in perfectly at the moment where it'd stop it upside down.

0rdinary-her0

Roller Poster
It's hard to say what occurred here. Both arms are powered by individual motors whose program, I assume, is synced to rotate both arms adjacently. I've always assumed the central post connecting both arms is for both structural stability and a mechanical linkage ensuring both arms rotate in unison if one motor is lagging.

My guess would be one of the motors failed or malfunctioned causing the arm rotations to not sync with the uneven weight distribution causing that central post to shear and detach resulting in the mismatch rotation?

cocoa

Mega Poster
maybe its like in the 3 body problem when they made the particle physics experiments disagree, except instead they're making flat rides malfunction oddly

dkspencer

Roller Poster
Last edited:

The_bullgod

Mega Poster

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1718874652581.jpg
    FB_IMG_1718874652581.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 5