What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

cookie

Giga Poster
Terra Magma at Bobbejaanland is currently closed after multiple employees working on the ride fell ill from a suspected bacterial infection. The park says they've done checks on humidity and temperature levels inside the building but found nothing out of the ordinary, but any bacteriological tests will have to be carried out by an external company, hence the park closing the ride as a precaution until such tests can be carried out in the coming days. There have been no reports as of yet of any guests falling ill.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
...I honestly look forward to the day Elitch shuts down and they build condos or something else there. Denver should have a park somewhere out east of the city...
Looks like your wish will partially come true. Elitch isn't shutting down, but is moving to a new location in Colorado (possibly Aurora) to make space for a new downtown Denver development project.

Source

embean01

Roller Poster
I just spotted how much Disney have increased prices for Genie+

hdd72qh.jpg

This was around $15 a day in 2022 - what the heck! Disney really are taking the Mickey…

Edit - apparently this might be seasonal surge pricing? Regardless, mad dollar.
Glad i got to go in may when it was still one solid fee. It is more expensive but still not unreasonable, especially compared to the price of other park’s skip the line passes. Disappointing though.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Kennywood has announced that the last rides of the season on Racer will be tomorrow, Saturday, September 15th, before the wooden dueling coaster undergoes retracking as part of a multi-year project this fall for the amusement park's preservation program. The park says a team of carpenters, electricians and maintenance technicians will work on replacing more than 1,000 feet of track. Having worked with the park's maintenance team many times over the years, I'm assuming this will be an in-house project.
Source

cookie

Giga Poster
Black Mamba at Phantasialand is back open after being down since late August due to an alleged structural weakness at the bottom of the loop. Track and supports in that section were apparently replaced.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Black Mamba at Phantasialand is back open after being down since late August due to an alleged structural weakness at the bottom of the loop. Track and supports in that section were apparently replaced.

Yeah I'm not gonna be getting over the fact it spited me by a few days anytime soon.

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
An event hall in Eifelpark in Germany caught fire Friday evening, causing significant damage to the structure valued up to half a million euros. Fortunately, no injuries were reported, and quick response from local emergency services prevented the fire from spreading to other attractions. The park reopened on Saturday as normal.

1007eifeg2.jpg

1696686387511.png

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
May not be small (or recent). But apparently Six Flags has decided to give every last one of their trapdoor slides the axe.
Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 16-57-40 (1) Bonzai Pipelines Six Flags New England - search results ...png
("It" = Bonzai Pipelines at SFNE)

Bonzai Pipelines at SFA is already long gone, as is the slide of the same name at SFSTL (that one's cabanas now), and the Bonzai Pipelines at SFNE have been walled off and are likely to be removed shortly (along with Typhoon most likely, because that was seriously damaged in the same 2021 storm that sent Fireball to an early grave). Keep an eye on the rest of the SF trapdoor slide sites...

Matt N

CF Legend
Oh my, that’s unexpected!

Has there been some sort of incident or something involving a trapdoor slide that has spurred Six Flags to do this, as it seems odd to just systematically remove all of them at once without some kind of extrinsic motive to do so?

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Oh my, that’s unexpected!

Has there been some sort of incident or something involving a trapdoor slide that has spurred Six Flags to do this, as it seems odd to just systematically remove all of them at once without some kind of extrinsic motive to do so?
Another post in that thread went along the lines of "Manufacturer said remove them all due to an accident". So yea

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Small fire at Heide Park in an old office near the park entrance.

Firefighters are currently tackling it. No reported injury concerns but the park is being evacuated.

Lukas D

Roller Poster
Hey look Legoland California's doing a thing
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/1738vat
(the two removals in question are likely Safari Trek and Fairy Tale Brook btw)

EDIT: Fairy Tale Brook isn't on the chopping block. Or at least this isn't replacing it.

EDIT 2: disregard above, FTB is outta here
Interesting. Screamscape speculated here this might be the LEGO Factory Adventure Ride from New York (and Korea), but the stated hall is both significantly larger and a few meters taller than that ride. So might this fit a themed indoor coaster? Merlin are currently adding coasters to LEGOLAND parks all over their portfolio so it wouldn't surprise me.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
SFGAm is giving some of Demon's rockwork the axe.
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/17810jd
Apparently the rockwork was in awful state outside and in even worse state inside, but this development has kicked off a flurry of discussion stating the ride's going to be removed. I don't buy it. If it were on the chopping block it'd have been teased/announced already. As it stands it appears we're only losing Revolution and Mardi Gras Hangover (although Screamscape suggested the 2004 on that gravestone could actually represent King Chaos which MGH replaced so it may only be MGH, but more likely it's both).