What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Indy

Hyper Poster
While yes, the ride has been around for a long time, nothing about Lance's post makes sense.

1) I don't buy for a second that the ride was about to be repainted. Baynum just repainted the ride in 2019 and it still looks fine. Painting coasters isn't cheap and SeaWorld isn't going to unnecessary spend money just to change the color.

2) "Busch Gardens response was to cancel the pending rehab and limit Kumba to one-train operations going forward, other than the occasional rare exception." I was there ten days ago and it was running two trains for no obvious reason. It wasn't an unusually busy day.

3) "The goal is to run Kumba through the summer, and Howl-O-Scream if the trains last that long." Fatigued trains aren't the reason why rides get scrapped; fatigued structure is. While trains are expensive, they are cheaper than ripping out a 4000ft long coaster and are easily replaceable.

4) "...it just serves as notice from B&M to parks that they have 18 months left to schedule a replacement or plan the retirement for the ride." B&M aren't soothsayers. The notion of giving a formal 18 month notice reeks of BS. They can identify areas of concern, but it's generally going to be a go/no-go. Either it's cracked, or it's not. Either it's thick enough, or it's not. The idea of specifying 18 months to make a decision puts a certain amount of liability on B&M and I find it impossible to believe that they would accept such liability.

Lance has been punked before and I really think he's being punked again. Now the ride might very well get ripped out in the next few years, but his rationale isn't making much sense.

Rein

Roller Poster
If it is that, I imagine it also includes water used from the flushing of urinals, which would add things up surprisingly quickly imo.

Then again, I've never thought highly of Bellewaerde's food, so......

Thinking about it, here's the document I found the info. Maybe we have a Dutch-speaker on the forums who can clarify whether what I've said is actually vaguely right or if my limited Dutch means I'm, ironically, talking out my rear end? 😂
View attachment 16624

A Belgian here! Although funny, I think your conclusion is not entirely correct.
They try to explain why they should opt for a larger rainwater well for reusing the water in toilets and for gardening. The number you refer to suggests that on average 25 customer flushes per day occur in that toilet. At 5 liters per flush, that gives a total of 125 liter of water usage a day. It does not mean 1 customer flushes 25 times a day 😂 But we can conclude that on average an employee uses the toilet 6 times a day (30 liters a day divided by 5 liters per flush) ;) So my guess is that this is about a toilet not accessible for theme park guests, because they are also extending their office building.

Digging deeper, I found that they take 100 flushes a day per toilet as a reasonable average for the newly build toilet block, although it might be an underestimation they say, given the amount of guests and the time they spend inside the park (between 6 and 10 hours):
bellewaerde.png

Aasimuk

Roller Poster
First post, so please be nice if I am posting this in the wrong place!

Found this over at https://www.retaildestination.co.uk...offer-heading-for-camden-market-hawley-wharf/

LabTech, owners of Camden Market, have announced the signing of a UK debut site for Babylon Park, a new family entertainment leisure concept, at Camden Market Hawley Wharf.

The 35,000 sq ft, three-floor leisure venue will be Babylon Park’s flagship location, providing a multitude of activities, including a roller coaster, drop tower, and bumper cars, alongside video and simulator arcade machines, soft play areas, and karaoke rooms.

It will open later this spring, with an intergalactic theme that will encourage learning about living more sustainably, and a family-friendly F&B offer including soft and hot drinks, ice creams, and waffles.

Commenting on the signing, Teddy Sagi, owner of Camden Market Hawley Wharf, said: “It is hugely exciting for Camden Market Hawley Wharf to be the first home in the UK for Babylon Park. The new entertainment centre reflects our emphasis on introducing fun and unique concepts to the destination, and being family-friendly it sits perfectly alongside our existing and forthcoming leisure operators, contributing greatly to the town’s domestic and international appeal.”

Efi Malka, owner of Babylon Park, said: “Opening our first venue in the UK, within a space that champions family-friendly concepts in an inviting atmosphere is a great move for Babylon Park. We are looking forward to bringing our brand-new concept here, which will define and set the tone for our expansion across the rest of Europe and provide an opportunity for visitors to explore and learn, and have tremendous fun while doing it.”

Babylon Park is a global amusement park operator with 19 sites in three different countries and has plans for further worldwide expansion in the coming years.

The Camden site will be their largest to date, and has been designed and created by P&P Projects, who are behind many high profile attractions around the world including Madame Tussauds and Nickelodeon Adventure.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Kumba is a fun ride, but it's pretty dated - it's the more generic, less exciting version of Montu (an equivalent, broadly speaking). I don't feel like the park needs both.

A decent hyper or a giga would be a more than worthy replacement and really take the line-up to the next level.

Imagine a park with a giga plus Iron Gwazi, Montu, Cheetah Hunt and SheiKra... phwoar!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
A Belgian here! Although funny, I think your conclusion is not entirely correct.
They try to explain why they should opt for a larger rainwater well for reusing the water in toilets and for gardening. The number you refer to suggests that on average 25 customer flushes per day occur in that toilet. At 5 liters per flush, that gives a total of 125 liter of water usage a day. It does not mean 1 customer flushes 25 times a day 😂

Ahhh thank you!

I was reading it as "Number of flushes per customer per day", not "Number of flushes by a customer per day".

Still, I found that a pretty interesting 'scratch of the surface' insight into the amount of water a park might use! And into the predicted toilet habits of guests! 😅

JoshC.

Strata Poster
According to Screamscape, the park don't want to announce Kumba's closure. So the conspiracy theorist viewpoint here would be that of course the park will tweet something like that, because they don't want people to think it's going.

For now, I'm erring to take things at face value over a rumour with as many holes as Swiss cheese.

solarfall

Mega Poster
According to Screamscape, the park don't want to announce Kumba's closure. So the conspiracy theorist viewpoint here would be that of course the park will tweet something like that, because they don't want people to think it's going.
If that were the case, wouldn't they just say nothing and ignore the rumor? I feel like 90% of people who go to the park regularly don't even know what Screamscape is.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
If that were the case, wouldn't they just say nothing and ignore the rumor? I feel like 90% of people who go to the park regularly don't even know what Screamscape is.
To be fair King's Island did it with Vortex where they put out a post saying it would stick around and then it went but I don't know the exact timescales.