What's new

Slippery serpent @ Thorpe

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
couple of days old from posting this but news none the less:

Slippery Serpent Removal 7/07/2010

On the evening of Tuesday 6th July, THORPE PARK started to remove Slippery Serpent from the Octopus Garden area of the Park.

The decision was made to close the attraction due to the fact that for a ride of its nature, Slippery Serpent had unrealistic maintenance costs and the ROI (return on investment) for the business was not viable.

"We are constantly researching and looking to develop our product offering and this removal ensures that we are continuing to develop the Park's overall objective to establish its brand positioning within the very competitive industry, as the nation's Thrill Capital. Any future developments can be found here on Thorpe Park Mania.

http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/07-07-2010/Slippery-Serpent-Removal

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A removal of a family friendly ride at Thorpe isn't going to attract families through the door. Although that doesn't concern me directly, I doubt it will make much of an impact anyway.

It's nice to know that they are reviewing what they have and soundly investing in what they have.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Think it was the train one...

I remember having to squeeze into it many years ago as I was taking my younger cousin on it...

That's about it... Lol... Octopus Garden is the most forgettable kid's area in any park...

spicy

Giga Poster
Yeah it was the train one, probably the best ride in Octopus Garden for the kids.

Thorpe Park desperately needs something for kids, especially after Fungle Safari went aswel, I suppose the Fish is the best thing for them.

Tim

Roller Poster
SAW_gameover said:
Tim said:
Will there be a dismissal ERT event for this attraction?

Emailed Thorpe yesterday, and one of the woman said she'd find out, and get back to me in a few days

OH BOY

I hope there's a competition for last ride. And also that I win it.

Then I could tell people, and they would care even less than they usually do when a coaster enthusiast tells them such a fact

Hurri

Mega Poster
Good luck with the ERT, on my visit last Wednesday the ride had totally gone.

I expect the rest of OG to follow. Just like the play areas and everything else aimed at kids. The beach and CCR will probably be next.

The problem with OG is this: the rides have maximum height restrictions, so even though my little girl has been technically able to go on them all her life, they don't allow accompanying adults. I'm not going to put a baby on their own on a ride, for obvious reasons. That's why nobody uses OG, as soon as the child is 90cm they can go on bigger rides, but still want/need an accompanying adult on the smaller ones...

When Thorpe finally realises it'll always have a family market and needs to cater to that, it'll be too late.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Hurri said:
Good luck with the ERT, on my visit last Wednesday the ride had totally gone.

I expect the rest of OG to follow. Just like the play areas and everything else aimed at kids. The beach and CCR will probably be next.

The problem with OG is this: the rides have maximum height restrictions, so even though my little girl has been technically able to go on them all her life, they don't allow accompanying adults. I'm not going to put a baby on their own on a ride, for obvious reasons. That's why nobody uses OG, as soon as the child is 90cm they can go on bigger rides, but still want/need an accompanying adult on the smaller ones...

When Thorpe finally realises it'll always have a family market and needs to cater to that, it'll be too late.
I think your thoughts on octopus garden are spot on.

But, I don't think the park will ever loose out from it's lack of family aimed attractions.

How many visitors to any theme park on any given day are visiting for their first time or the first time in so long the park is unrecognizable from their last visit? I'd guess a majority. If I'm right, then it doesn't matter.

If you want to give your kids a grand day out, go to one of the other TWO family attractions in the area. One of which has attractions for adults, too. Everyone's happy.

Thorpe tackles it's target audience well, and whilst I'm all for them having variety of attractions, it won't ever be a hindrance to them not to.

A

Anonymous

I thought it was the water slide that you see as soon as you exit the dome/get into the park.