What's new

SlingShot opens at Six Flags Magic Mountain

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Kind of forgotten about with all the Full Throttle goings on, but Magic Mountain now has a sling shot.

I2013-01-07-58C934E42412_230x230.jpg

http://content.sixflags.com/news/ma...mail&utm_campaign=SFMM&utm_content=2013-01-20

BBH

Giga Poster
Rode Dare Devil Dive at SFGAm, these skycoasters are absolutely insane. Good addition to the park.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
SkyCoasters like Dare Devil Dive are not SlingShots & feel very different.

Nic

Strata Poster
The last thing they need in that corner of the park is another up-charge attraction. Apocalypse is lonely enough as it is. They really need to do something to give the crowds an incentive to trek all the way down into that corner. More opportunities for parting with even more of their cash will not do it.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Well said Nic & I completely agree. I was really hoping for a HUSS Giant Frisbee type ride like maXair/Delirium or a Zamperla Giant Discovery like Black Widow at Kennywood, that has great capacity & offer non-coaster thrills. These type of rides only exist in the Midwest & both U.S. coasts could really use one.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ah, see, I'm always under the mind set that the smaller the Sling Shot, the better. These larger ones really aren't as good, they provide a kind of floater airtime sensation at the top, but that's kind of it. The smaller ones are completely mental, with that sharp ejector followed by insane spins. I know that they're two completely different rides, but I do prefer the smaller ones.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^It's not a mater of big or small, but rather which type of SlingShot it is. Many small ones are bungee launched instead of the common spring launch that's found on bigger ones. However, there are a few bungee launched big ones as well, like the one at Zero Gravity in Dallas, Texas.
So if, you think that the smaller one(s) you rode were mental, wait until you try a big bungee one. They're almost too intense. The kid & I had an unlimited ride wristband & after trying everything (SCAD Tower, Bungee Jump, SlingShot, SkyCoaster & the SkyScraper Booster) once, we re-rode everything except the SlingShot because it was too much to ride again so soon after the previous go about 45 minutes earlier. However we returned at night to do them all again. :wink:
I prefer the floater airtime of the huge spring loaded SlingShots over the ejector bungee loaded ones, but you get used to spring loaded ones very quickly & the thrill of riding them disappears. Even though the thrill is gone, I still like the sensation & the views they offer. Of course this goes completely against my preference in coasters, where ejector airtime always wins out over floater airtime. :?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I think with this being placed in the back corner, it's small enough that if they ever wanted to put a coaster back there, a station and then let it go towards the main park. Still, a giant frisbee would've been such a better addition, hell any large flat would be better. This park just keeps making bad decisions with new additions.