What's new

Slender: The Eight Pages

reddude333

Giga Poster
Alright, so it's a little late but the Slender craze is still among us. For those of you who haven't heard, Slender: The Eight Pages is a first-person horror game based on the legend/myth of the Slender Man, a tall, thin faceless figure wearing a black suit. The object is to collect all eight pages from the woods at twilight without being caught by the Slender Man. I had seen a couple videos on Youtube about Slender so I thought I would give it a try. Honestly I thought I might have taken away some of the suspense by having seen reaction videos and even some gameplay footage...but I was so wrong. I thought the best way to add to the eeriness factor would be to play alone in my room with the lights off and headphones in. Needless to say, I found the game oddly terrifying (or at least it sent chills down my spine).

Comment to let me know what you think of it? Have you played Slender? How many pages did you get? What do you think of the Slender Man meme as a whole?

Here's a link to the download page for the game if you wish to try it for yourself:

http://slendergame.com/download.php

kimahri

CF Legend
I have not played Slender, everyone else pretty much did that for me. It's a beta and by the looks of it, it's a raw and unbalanced game and Slenderman was cooler before Marble Hornets.

Edit: +1

Intricks

Strata Poster
Not yet played the game, but really enjoy the whole myth behind him and the two or three channels that had dedicated themselves to doing a series of sorts about Slender himself.

I know Hollywood has taken Slenderman and made a few movies BASED off of it (to an extent). Examples:

The Tall Man
Smile (or smiley (to an extent))

reddude333

Giga Poster
^^Perhaps, but everyone playing it didn't take away from the apprehension I had playing it under those conditions. I think the raw/graphically inferior aspect of the game prove that brilliant sound and visual timing are all it takes to scare the crap out of people (although I suppose Paranormal Activity [and plenty of other before]) have shown that as well. I recommend trying it at least once. If it's not for you, it's not for you though.

kimahri

CF Legend
A loud noise startles most people. When I happens as much as it does in slender it's just gets dull. It's not what made The Slenderman as enjoyable as it was in the beginning. Meh, internet, more people, more likely to be over saturated.

SCP Containment Breach looks like it could pull off a better game.

Ha, the guys at work were raving about it at work so I went home and played it by myself, but I got too nervous. Then I played it later with someone else in the room, but it was pitch black and we had the sound up high. We were saying how boring it was and literally not more than like, five seconds after we said that Slender popped up and scared us ****!

I wouldn't play it again but it was fun once.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Yeah, I totally agree. The game lulls you into a false sense of security and then BAM! Also, something I found interesting/terrifying, it seems playing it a second (or third) time only makes it worse as you are anticipating him so much more than the first time.

^ I agree. The second time I played it after I knew what happened, I ended up tossing the computer away once the screen went a bit fuzzy (since it seems to do so when he's around).

reddude333

Giga Poster
Haha! Totally know the feeling. I love having my friends play it though...usually I let them figure out stuff on their own :p