What's new

Skyline Park | Sky Dragster | Maurer Söhne Motorbike

Ben

CF Legend
Nope, still don't understand why this is a thing.

I get what they've gone for but it just doesn't work as a theme park attraction.

Lofty

CF Legend
The throughput on this is going to be absolutely disastrous. Especially if you've got a couple in a row that don't want to accelerate to it's greatest potential, meaning a longer ride, meaning a longer dispatch, meaning a longer queue. Just nope.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Just add it to the list of Skyline's crap-capacity rides.

Ben

CF Legend
Or, crapacity.

Haha.

It'll be OK at Skyline I imagine because of the sort of park it is, but anywhere proper and it'll have real issues. I just can't see the market for it at all? I'd be worried about maintenance too with all those different components and such a complicated ride system for something so ****.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I don't know what is already known, but the most important facts from the video related to Sky Dragster:
  • -The guy talking is the Maurer CEO
    -Working on it since 2009
    -Acceleration with more than 1g
    -The rider can control the speed/acceleration
    -12m maximum height
    -270m lenght
    -made of 70t of steel
Other information:

• -Maurer Rides is planning a very high ride, "Perhaps even the highest of the world".
    -He talks about how amazing their restraints are :^)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Ireeb said:
Other information:

• -Maurer Rides is planning a very high ride, "Perhaps even the highest of the world".
First point- I have a feeling that Maurer picked up that Poler Coaster project. It seems like a ride type they'd do.

Second point- lol.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Ireeb said:
Other information:

First point- I have a feeling that Maurer picked up that Poler Coaster project. It seems like a ride type they'd do.

Second point- lol.

Since you made an interesting point with that polercoaster, here a translation of what he exactly said (translated as well as I can):
"Perhaps it's going up very high, like, the highest coaster... possibly even of the world. It will take a few more years, but the planning is in progress." (@7:10 in the video).

I thought Intamin has the contract? But that coaster would fit Maurer very well. They love vertical lifts and weird coasters - both applies to the poler coaster. Also on the POV videos the tracks looked a lot like Maurer XCAR tracks. I don't know if that is coincidence (perhaps they just used a default track style) or intentional. The 4-across trains didn't look like Maurer though. Also, he says a few more years, does anyone know how the poler coaster is scheduled?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
The Poler Coaster is scheduled for this year, but as far as I know, it's still a hole in the ground.

Intamin does currently have the contract, but I wouldn't be surprised if they announce that Maurer took over the project at IAAPA this(or maybe even next) year. As for the animation, I think it was just the default track style.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
A brief translation of this German news article about the Sky Dragster Coaster model: http://www.parkerlebnis.de/maurer-rides ... 32320.html

Maurer Rides presents their new roller coaster concept with the "Spike(R)"-technology. Riders can decide on the speed of the ride. The Portfolio contains tree different train-designs and a duelling version.
maurer-spike-racing-duelling-coaster-modell-620x350.jpg

A prototype (Sky Dragster) with the concept the presented at the Euro Attractions Show 2016 in Barcelona wills start test rides shortly.

The vehicles are powered by using cogwheels, riders can accelerate and brake on their own. The maximum acceleration is 1.2g, the maximum speed is 60 km/h (~37 mph).
maurer-spike-zahnradtechnik-620x350.jpg

The vehicles communicate with each other as well as with the central control system to ensure the safety distances are being maintained and to adjust the speed to prevent too high g-forces on narrow sections of the layout.

Maurer offers the ride as single- or duelling-version, as well as custom designs. The layout at Skyline-Park is a default layout.
maurer-rides-spike-duelling-coaster-modell-620x350.jpg

There are no limits for custom designs, even vertical sections (upwards) are possible. The gear rack and the power rail on the track allow all radii and bankings, with 100% traction, no slippage and an absolutely silent and smooth ride.

The innovative vehicles are equipped with an accelerator throttle, a boost button, a touchscreen which displays the current speed and acceleration, brake lights and a sound system for motor sounds which change depending on the acceleration and speed.
game elements like attacking each other or a virtual fuel tank are also possible.
maurer-rides-spike-cockpit-concept-620x350.jpg

For the Spike(R) coaster there are several vehicle types which are similar to the vehicles of the Bike- and Wing coasters which Maurer presented last year.
  • "Spike Race"- two riders are seated above the track like on a motorcycle
    "Air Race" four riders are seated left and right next to the track
    "Bike Race" four riders are seated above the track in motorcycle-themed vehicles.
maurer-rides-spike-car-design-concept-620x350.jpg

All vehicles have one thing in common: The only restraint is a belt around the waist/hip.
maurer-rides-spike-gurt-concept-620x350.jpg

To add some kind of competitions to the single-track coasters, there will be a "highscore" list with daily- and all-time-records, which, in theory, will allow guests to compete even with riders who rode the same coaster in a different theme park.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I think it would be cool if wasn't just 270 meters. With a cool and long layout it could be nice, but like thy are building it at skyline park? No thanks. How long will the ride go? 30 seconds?
EDIT:
I just calculated: If you ride it with an average speed of 30 km/h (18.6 mph), you would need 32,5 seconds to finish the ride.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Edward M said:
Am I the only person who... kind of likes it?

I actually like the idea. How it will work out in the real world is yet to be seen.
But if you are going to test something like this then chuck it at Skyline Park. No one seems to like that place anyway :p

As for the worlds tallest thing. They've been rumbling on about this for a while. Its certainly not the Polercoaster contract. Which seems to now be Intamin (wasn't it originally S&S?).

Though whatever this tallest coaster in the world thing they've been murmuring about for a few years I will be about as surprised to see it actually happen as the Polercoaster.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Well a least the cars hold some design integrity. I'm intrigued to see this in action, eager to see the faces of the disappointed Germans when their pursuit for a "highscore" is foiled by the person in front, excited for the the potential collisions and frightened about the unavoidable 'Is it a cred' threads that'll emerge.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ but is it a cred?

Also, have we seen this yet (didn't spot it above)

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUt2sK9qDnY[/youtubevid]

nadroJ

CF Legend
^I don't think it is. If a powered bobsled isn't a cred (like the thing at Toverland) then this certainly isn't.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Themepark.nl have posted a video of this abomination testing:
[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/Themepark.nl/videos/1276097655757958/[/facebookpost]