What's new

Six Flags to open park in Nigeria

NOOO I thought the title said Niagara.. I almost had an attack!

Nigeria seems a bit random though, like, I don't hear of many people traveling there, and isn't Nigeria considered a third world country? I think theme parking is the last thing Africa needs to worry about.

Emmett

Giga Poster
From looking at RCDB they only have 2 small parks at the moment so for Six Flags to set up a park is a big risky move.

They have a big oil industry in Nigeria so there are porbably plenty of people with money to spare and their economy might be alot better than surrounding countries. Also maybe Nigeria is a tourist hotspot in relation to other African countries so they can attract people from further away.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
They got an email off the Honourable George Magooby's widow. He had $67 million hidden in a bank account and she needed a company to invest to get around the laws and to release the cash.

Sounded too good to be true... ;)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Well, actually, Nigeria is one of the wealthiest countries in Africa due to huge oil resources. It's GDP is above that of countries such as Israel, Egypt, and even Pakistan, and is rising. It's the eight most poulous country in the world, as in, roughly as populated as the US East coast (150 million people livign in an area of the same size).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria#Economy

While human development is rather low, I guess the middle class is large enough to justify a park. Remember, Lagos is larger than New York in terms of population, and even though the income rater are quite much lower down there, and half the population is less than fifteen years old, there should be at least a five-digit number of people who can afford parkgoing.

Also, remember that Nigeria is a growing economy. It's GDP growth is around 28%, which means that if it keeps growing like that, it will almost have tripled by the time the park opens. I'd say that it will be a wise move by Six Flags to be established there when the boom hits. Though, we will see red numbers the first few years or so.

Also, they get a place to put Astroworld's SLC.

kimahri

CF Legend
Pardon me my friend but I am nigeryan royltee and I nd you to send me money. Please ignore the fact that i can't spell Nigerian, or Royalty.

Uh, seems interesting I guess. It's a new park so it's better than nothing.