What's new

Six Flags to close 15 rides in the chain after 2020

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
I'm going to leave a few of my predictions down here on what rides will or could be removed (apologies if i don't name the ride itself)
. Tidal Wave - Magic Mountain
. Goliath at SFNE Refurbished ad probably sent to a park like America
. Log Flume at SFGA
. Alpine Bobsled - SFGE
. Parachute - SFGA
. Batwing - SFA
. SFOG - Splashwater Falls (even though it's already closed)
. SFSL - Superman Tower of Power
SFOT - El Sombrero
. SFFT - Hustler
. SFM - Aquaman Splashdown
Can't think of any more currently!

Justin2000

Mega Poster
I'm going to leave a few of my predictions down here on what rides will or could be removed (apologies if i don't name the ride itself)
. Tidal Wave - Magic Mountain
. Goliath at SFNE Refurbished ad probably sent to a park like America
. Log Flume at SFGA
. Alpine Bobsled - SFGE
. Parachute - SFGA
. Batwing - SFA
. SFOG - Splashwater Falls (even though it's already closed)
. SFSL - Superman Tower of Power
SFOT - El Sombrero
. SFFT - Hustler
. SFM - Aquaman Splashdown
Can't think of any more currently!

Twister at SFGAdv
Tasmanian Devil at SFDK
Tomahawk at SFNE

We're at 14

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
SFoG - Sky Buckets started being hit or miss in Fall of 2019 and were closed all of 2020 season. That could indicated they have a major issue with them.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

No idea if it's legit or not but it's sad if so as it seems like log flumes and cable cars are always getting the chop these days and it's nice to have chill rides at parks as well as thrill rides. Classic Von Rolls skyride are almost getting rarer by the year.

I've not been to SFOG but apparently the Sky Buckets hasn't operated much in the last few years. Anyone got any more info on this?

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
Sky Buckets at SFOG was hit and miss in 2019, did not operate at all in 2020. I was there yesterday and the cable that supported the cars has been removed. No indication whether is was being repaired or removed. I hope they are refurbishing it as I always loved it.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
it's sad if so as it seems like log flumes and cable cars are always getting the chop these days
Agreed - specialy as I come from nothern Europe and always love to cool down once or twice in the American summer heat. Loved the flume at SFMM when I was there. Parks in hot climates should at least built a new "heavy wet" ride when tearing down old ones...

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Tidal Wave at SFMM is being demolished at the moment.

Not sure if it was closed from before 2020 (I seem to recall the similar ride at SFOG has been closed for a while) and it seems like it's to make way for the new coaster but it could have been part of the 15 rides that were quoted as being removed.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Tidal Wave at SFMM is being demolished at the moment.

Not sure if it was closed from before 2020 (I seem to recall the similar ride at SFOG has been closed for a while) and it seems like it's to make way for the new coaster but it could have been part of the 15 rides that were quoted as being removed.
I remember it also being mentioned that those 15 rides included rides that were SBNO but not removed across the chain, so I wouldn't be surprised if both Tidal Waves are a part of those 15.