What's new

Six Flags Qiddiya| Saudi Arabia | Theme Park

Christian

Hyper Poster
That coaster surely looks ambitious, especially considering that the huge hill is not even the first drop.

What worries me is that they seem to box in the park between a race track and a mountain, leaving little room for expansion. That's not good if their ambition is to build one of the greatest parks in the world.

Rzx

Roller Poster
That coaster surely looks ambitious, especially considering that the huge hill is not even the first drop.

What worries me is that they seem to box in the park between a race track and a mountain, leaving little room for expansion. That's not good if their ambition is to build one of the greatest parks in the world.
They're planning to build a second park as a second phase, and the park itself has some room for expansion ( the red dots are areas for expansion) :BD0E4EF8-3DF9-421E-ACF1-62D652F8FA65.jpegand outside the park there is a 6 acre plot of land under the cliff:2B404D06-37B1-49BE-B4F5-18C8EF3FAF16.jpeg

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I honestly do not see this doing well. The Ankapark comparisons earlier in the thread mirror some of my own two cents. Riyadh first off is no Dubai- Unlike the UAE, it is not a massive transport hub. Emirates and Qatar Airways are some of the biggest carriers in the world and both Doha and Dubai are high traffic cities. Riyadh would need to take off first IMO to sustain a large park, it barely is on the map as of right now. The laws in Saudi Arabia are also known to be a lot more harsher. The lack of autonomy for Women, and the mass murder of the LGBT community do not make it an appealing country to visit, sure these problems persist in Doha and Dubai, but they are a lot milder, and i believe some tourists would be put off.

I think a small park maybe of been a better bet, but that would rely on domestic appeal. We can only guess what the people there think of it, but besides The UAE, what big theme parks have thrived in The Middle East as a whole?

Christian

Hyper Poster
I honestly do not see this doing well. The Ankapark comparisons earlier in the thread mirror some of my own two cents. Riyadh first off is no Dubai- Unlike the UAE, it is not a massive transport hub. Emirates and Qatar Airways are some of the biggest carriers in the world and both Doha and Dubai are high traffic cities. Riyadh would need to take off first IMO to sustain a large park, it barely is on the map as of right now. The laws in Saudi Arabia are also known to be a lot more harsher. The lack of autonomy for Women, and the mass murder of the LGBT community do not make it an appealing country to visit, sure these problems persist in Doha and Dubai, but they are a lot milder, and i believe some tourists would be put off.

I think a small park maybe of been a better bet, but that would rely on domestic appeal. We can only guess what the people there think of it, but besides The UAE, what big theme parks have thrived in The Middle East as a whole?

Last month, the Saudi government, announced that they will set up "Riyadh Air". It will be a second Saudi national airline with massive proportions. The plan is to directly take on Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways and Turkish Airlines. They even got Etihad's former CEO to run it. They are even considering serving alcohol onboard, as there will be a focus on transit passengers. We also shouldn't forget that Riyadh has a population of about 7 million people and all of Saudi Arabia has 38 million people. That's a massive domestic population and certainly plenty enough to sustain a large amusement park. If the park is well connected, of good quality and without stupidly high prices then I dont doubt that people will be coming. They really gotta work on their image, if they want international tourists. The whole hideous anti women and anti LGBTQ rhetoric, certainly isn't helping them.

Overall. If this park is done right, I think it has all the conditions to thrive purely based on the local population and the future traffic coming from that massive new airline.

Last edited:

bratcurry

Mega Poster
The lack of autonomy for Women, and the mass murder of the LGBT community do not make it an appealing country to visit, sure these problems persist in Doha and Dubai, but they are a lot milder, and i believe some tourists would be put off.
To be frank, you're overestimating the chilling effect human rights infrigements against minorities have on people that are not part of said minorities. Although every person I know was against Qatar hosting the world cup, most of them watched it nonetheless.

Christian

Hyper Poster
To be frank, you're overestimating the chilling effect human rights infrigements against minorities have on people that are not part of said minorities. Although every person I know was against Qatar hosting the world cup, most of them watched it nonetheless.
Honestly, I know more straight people boycotting Saudi due to LGBTQ issues, than I know LGBTQ people boycotting Saudi. I even know LGBTQ couples who have a had a great time in Saudi and really want to go back. Being part of the community myself, I wouldn't mind having to get into the closet to ride some great coasters. As the goon motto says: "everything for the creds".

Of course, I disagree with Saudi LGBTQ policy. It is absolutely disgusting and dont take this as an endorsement of it. If I were to live my normal life in Saudi, I could be executed. I pray for all the young LGBTQ people who have to grow up there, instead of in a respecting country like I got to do. Though, all of that does not stop me from wanting to visit, experience the beautiful country, and meet the people, even if I dont agree with their dictator's policies.

Last edited:

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I think it hits home in Saudi Arabia in very relevant ways. It is one of the most gender segregated countries in the world. Would you have only male/female trains of a coaster? Or would you not be able to run the ride with a mixed sex pair who did not know each other sitting next to each other? Would non Saudi women be comfortable obeying the strict dress codes throughout the whole day on a summers day? It certainly provokes some interesting thoughts.

Honestly, I know more straight people boycotting Saudi due to LGBTQ issues, than I know LGBTQ people boycotting Saudi. I even know LGBTQ couples who have a had a great time in Saudi and really want to go back. Being part of the community myself, I wouldn't mind having to get into the closet to ride some great coasters. As the goon motto says: "everything for the creds".

Of course, I disagree with Saudi LGBTQ policy. It is absolutely disgusting and dont take this as an endorsement of it. If I were to live my normal life in Saudi, I could be executed. I pray for all the young LGBTQ people who have to grow up there, instead of in a respecting country like I got to do. Though, all of that does not stop me from wanting to visit, experience the beautiful country, and meet the people, even if I dont agree with their dictator's policies.

I personally wouldn't visit. I am open to countries that don't really enforce the death penalty (the UAE), but Saudi Arabia just has too many killings that scare me off honestly. Obviously every LGBT person is different, but i do think i would draw the line at this country. I do hope though that the pivot towards tourism may see improvements, but i doubt it.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I think it hits home in Saudi Arabia in very relevant ways. It is one of the most gender segregated countries in the world. Would you have only male/female trains of a coaster? Or would you not be able to run the ride with a mixed sex pair who did not know each other sitting next to each other? Would non Saudi women be comfortable obeying the strict dress codes throughout the whole day on a summers day? It certainly provokes some interesting thoughts.

This is pure speculation. But I am guessing they would have specific male or female rows on the coaster. Due to the various coaster forces, I have many times by accident touched the rider next to me when riding, especially on forceful coasters it's not rare to get an accidental, leg, foot, arm or even head touch. I think that's not ok in Saudi and I guess they will need to gender separate rows.

Regarding head pieces. Those traditional clothes are actually brilliant for the heat. I have traveled quite a lot in Palestine/Israel and usually wore keffiyah (traditional male middle eastern headdress). It's surprising how well they protect from heat/sunburn. I guess the woman's versions work similarly. Judging from Ferrari World, conservative muslim women usually dont ride coasters. I dont think I ever saw one on Formula Rossa. If the traditionally dressed women do ride, the normal headdress stays on well on most coasters. Very forceful coasters such as Falcon's Flight might provide specific headpieces that insure that they stay on, alternatively specific straps to better strap the woman's own headpiece on. Males will probably have to remove everything from their head when riding.

The women dress code in Saudi is just to wear modest opaque loose-fitting clothing, no headwear is required. If it's made from cotton or linnen or some other breathable lightweight material it's not that bad. It might even be better than exposing your skin to the dangerous sun. I doubt anybody is outside during the day in the summers. It's unbearable, regardless of what clothing you wear. Because the Six Flags park is outside, I guess it will only be open on evenings/nights in the summer.

Last edited:

Rzx

Roller Poster
There is a couple of things that you guys got wrong:

1- the death penalty is only for people who murdered people ,meaning that the lgbtq+ would not get executed they will be imprisoned and that goes for straight people too if they kissed in public.

2- as in the rides it will be like any normal park the same as the uae (btw Saudi already had an annual carnival winter wonderland if you're curious you can find footage in youtube)

and if you have any questions ask me I'm from Saudi Arabia

rob666

Hyper Poster
Hudud...sodomy...death penalty?
Correct me if I am wrong, but homosexual sex means death under Saudi law, doesn't it?
Stoning people to death for loving someone of the same sex hasn't actually happened for a decade or so, but it is still enshrined in law.
Same for adultery or a dozen other offences, including saying words against the faith...not just for murder at all.
Murderers can get "off with it" by paying blood money...a different version of justice to the one I am used to.
Give the place a miss personally thanks.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
First: OH MY WORD ITS HAPPENING*

Second: I would indeed assume it's all that color. I like it honestly.

*being constructed, opening & project completion not guaranteed 😂

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I'm not entirely sure that it's a new track gauge TBH. To me, that looks the same width as Hyperion. But all-new trains is almost a guarantee. This is from the initial artwork/animation posted years ago:
1680810946236.png
I highly doubt it will look exactly like this, but general assumptions made off this: 2x2 seating arrangement, a falcon-themed lead car piece, seemingly with windshields at the front of each car. This render has the old style OTSR restraints depicted, but seeing as they haven't produced a ride using those since ~2013, I would expect the modern-gen lap bar.

What a wild time to be actually discussing the construction of this ride 😂