What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain cooking something up for 2025?

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
This thread on ParkFans:

Is stating:
  • SFMM will get a coaster in 2025, allegedly replacing the Golden Bear Theater and possibly Laughing Dragon Pizza and Ninja as well, potentially with a drop of around 300 feet.
  • If it is a giga, it will be more focused on speed rather than airtime
  • According to Screamscape it may involve Vekoma and thus may not be a giga
Keep an eye on this one...

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Have kept an eye on this one and fast forwarding to now, we’re several weeks into Golden Bear Theatre demolition. This be the most recent coverage of it;

I do know with certainty that Intamin reps were snooping around that area of the park about a year ago, no doubt they’ve been back if involved. Word on the street is that SFMM want to “compete” with the very powerful new Family Coaster roaring into Universal.

The other interesting rumor is that if Intamin this may have something to do with Superman at long last. It’s been no secret that the coaster’s future has been murky, and they’ve in the past shown passholders crazy ideas of what to do with it. See, there it is;

So yeah, Superman or not, something is definitely cooking and if they choose to go coaster then they have land to play with;
A43AB3C1-C570-42DC-8ECB-C730F0351871.jpeg

In other unrelated park news X2 has been gifted a new lift chain and that big new parking lot solar canopy is coming along nicely.

Attachments

• 7FEE36BC-CED7-4C7D-8EA4-BF0DA23B13FA.jpeg
    7FEE36BC-CED7-4C7D-8EA4-BF0DA23B13FA.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 224F6F79-30F4-449B-88E3-B62F155DD8F4.jpeg
    224F6F79-30F4-449B-88E3-B62F155DD8F4.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 37

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
"Cycling in"? Could that mean a motorbike/straddle seat coaster?
Afraid that I'm not at leisure to say who is working on it just yet, but yeah the teaser was pretty on the nose for what it will be. I don't mind saying that some time ago there were ideas for a motocoaster of sorts, that plan appears to be moving forwards.

Personally I don't believe that SFMM needs to go all in on another coaster so soon, especially at a time where they've started bucking under the weight of so many attractions to maintain. Last year was an utter ****show in all respects of park operations. Some of it was supply chain, some of it staffing, and a serious case of mismanagement was thrown into the mix. Fortunately the old SFDK guy has just been shown the door with Jeff Harris (former SFMM interim president and a finance heavyweight at SFOG) being brought aboard as park president, and for the first time in forever they currently have almost all of their coasters operational at once. I wouldn't have minded another giant flat at the park (Starflyer or Super Air Race), but SFMM knows coasters and that's a solution they will turn to.

bratcurry

Mega Poster
Such a relief to read, it's nothing crazy. Else I would have had to postpone my 2024 visit a year until it was open. 😂

Launch coaster without a doubt. I am doubting a Motorbike with Artic Rescue and Pony Express being so close. Also that name just doesn't fit with a cycle. I am still guessing vekoma launch of some sort. If not I still want a ultrasplash loop model wedged between WW and RR. Speculation aside...that name just plain socks. Sounds like some Chinese knockoff of a C teir Marvel movie.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't follow the proud ol' SFMM tradition of building coasters right before that coaster type undergoes a paradigm shift, leaving SFMM with coasters that feel obsolete or inferior to comparable alternatives even after a few years. There are just so many examples to show here, some more notable than others:
  • Ninja, built right before the sunset of the Suspended Coaster as Inverted Coasters took over and did the same thing better.
  • Batman The Ride, built right before clones of the layout started appearing everywhere, and B&M scaled up the concept with bigger, custom layouts like Cedar Point's Raptor.
  • Flashback, the first coaster to be designed using computer-modelled 3D curves in space ... but without doing much interesting with them. It was a historic proof-of-concept prototype, sure, but it was soon made obsolete as a ride experience by more modern multi-loopers.
  • Viper, built right before B&M revolutionized the sit-down looper, leaving the old Arrow loopers looking weird and old-fashioned.
  • Psyclone, the woodie with the trains made by B&M. Not sure how badly that affected the ride experience, but there might be a reason why B&M never did that again. At least Psyclone got a full five years before GCI came to the stage and showed everyone how to build modern wooden coasters, though, which is a longer "grace period" than most other entries on this list.
  • Superman: The Escape. SFMM built the world's tallest and fastest launch coaster ... and then six years later came TTD to deliver a superior concept for that "fast - up - down - brake" type of ride.
  • Riddler's Revenge: The tallest, fastest, longest stand-up coaster ... built right before everyone realized that stand-up coasters were kind of crap and the ride type died out entirely.
  • Goliath, that time Giovanola built hypers and went out of business right after, and then B&M and Intamin started building better hypers.
  • X: Impressive concept, a nightmare maintenance-wise, and SFMM got to be the park that learned it the hard way.
  • Déjà Vu: Have I seen this ride type fail before?
  • Green Lantern: First Flight. The biggest, baddest Intamin ZacSpin ... built right before S&S launched a vastly superior take on the gimmick. Turns out that rotating around the axis of each seat makes a much smoother ride experience than rotating around the center point of a seat pair. Green Lantern lasted for only six years before being disassembled and relocated to Canada ... where it was never even put together again.
  • Full Throttle, the first ride to incorporate a mid-course swing launch ... right before the mid-course swing launch was revolutionized by not requiring the train to come to a full stop. And the ride was built without much of a layout other than that launch.
  • Twisted Colossus: By no means a bad RMC conversion, but it was the early days of the ride type, and RMC got a lot bolder with their designs shortly thereafter.
Sure, SFMM has had some undeniable success stories too, but in their eagerness to "push boundaries" they seem to have received a knack for purchasing coasters just before they are outdated by new developments in the industry. One can argue that this boundary-pushing at SFMM has been the cause of said new developments in the industry on a couple of occasions, so their boldness is not a bad thing overall. But never have I seen a park being so unlucky with its purchases, so filled with coasters that were shortly followed up by a much improved version built elsewhere.

Heck, if they get a new Zamperla straddle coaster, watch it being a prototype Zamperla makes a ton of lessons from, so that they can sell a superior model to eighteen more parks across the country in the next five years.

ricklap77

Roller Poster
Very true what you sais above! SFMM has a lot of coasters but not the best ones. I think their best type of coaster would be a giga.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't follow the proud ol' SFMM tradition of building coasters right before that coaster type undergoes a paradigm shift, leaving SFMM with coasters that feel obsolete or inferior to comparable alternatives even after a few years. There are just so many examples to show here, some more notable than others:
  • Ninja, built right before the sunset of the Suspended Coaster as Inverted Coasters took over and did the same thing better.
  • Batman The Ride, built right before clones of the layout started appearing everywhere, and B&M scaled up the concept with bigger, custom layouts like Cedar Point's Raptor.
  • Flashback, the first coaster to be designed using computer-modelled 3D curves in space ... but without doing much interesting with them. It was a historic proof-of-concept prototype, sure, but it was soon made obsolete as a ride experience by more modern multi-loopers.
  • Viper, built right before B&M revolutionized the sit-down looper, leaving the old Arrow loopers looking weird and old-fashioned.
  • Psyclone, the woodie with the trains made by B&M. Not sure how badly that affected the ride experience, but there might be a reason why B&M never did that again. At least Psyclone got a full five years before GCI came to the stage and showed everyone how to build modern wooden coasters, though, which is a longer "grace period" than most other entries on this list.
  • Superman: The Escape. SFMM built the world's tallest and fastest launch coaster ... and then six years later came TTD to deliver a superior concept for that "fast - up - down - brake" type of ride.
  • Riddler's Revenge: The tallest, fastest, longest stand-up coaster ... built right before everyone realized that stand-up coasters were kind of crap and the ride type died out entirely.
  • Goliath, that time Giovanola built hypers and went out of business right after, and then B&M and Intamin started building better hypers.
  • X: Impressive concept, a nightmare maintenance-wise, and SFMM got to be the park that learned it the hard way.
  • Déjà Vu: Have I seen this ride type fail before?
  • Green Lantern: First Flight. The biggest, baddest Intamin ZacSpin ... built right before S&S launched a vastly superior take on the gimmick. Turns out that rotating around the track axis makes a much smoother ride experience. Green Lantern lasted for only six years before being disassembled and relocated to Canada ... where it was never even put together again.
  • Full Throttle, the first ride to incorporate a mid-course swing launch ... right before the mid-course swing launch was revolutionized by not requiring the train to come to a full stop. And the ride was built without much of a layout other than that launch.
  • Twisted Colossus: By no means a bad RMC conversion, but it was the early days of the ride type, and RMC got a lot bolder with their designs shortly thereafter.
Sure, SFMM has had some undeniable success stories too, but in their eagerness to "push boundaries" they seem to have received a knack for purchasing coasters just before they are outdated by new developments in the industry. One can argue that this boundary-pushing at SFMM has been the cause of said new developments in the industry on a couple of occasions, so their boldness is not a bad thing overall. But never have I seen a park being so unlucky with its purchases, so filled with coasters that were shortly followed up by a much improved version built elsewhere.

Heck, if they get a new Zamperla straddle coaster, watch it being a prototype Zamperla makes a ton of lessons from, so that they can sell a superior model to eighteen more parks across the country in the next five years.
It's a good point and for the most part I agree, but you're a bit harsh on a couple of them 😂 sure superman was usurped by TTD but 6 years is an age in this industry. I mean MF lasted less than 3 months before it was usurped.

I guess it's a bit of a problem with buying early versions of rides. You could level the same argument at most of Alton's early output.

Nemesis - opened same year as Batman just before B&M started going for bigger faster custom rides like Raptor
Oblivion - opened just 7 years before Busch revolutionised the Dive Coaster concept with Shiekra
Air - opened just 3 years before Tatsu blew it out of the water
Rita - opened just before Stealth went taller and faster in its own country
Etc etc

While I know it doesn't sound like it I do actually agree with you, they've some poor ride choices over the years, I do feel calling things like twisted colossus and Batman out is a bit cruel 😂

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It's a good point and for the most part I agree, but you're a bit harsh on a couple of them 😂 sure superman was usurped by TTD but 6 years is an age in this industry. I mean MF lasted less than 3 months before it was usurped.

I guess it's a bit of a problem with buying early versions of rides. You could level the same argument at most of Alton's early output.

Nemesis - opened same year as Batman just before B&M started going for bigger faster custom rides like Raptor
Oblivion - opened just 7 years before Busch revolutionised the Dive Coaster concept with Shiekra
Air - opened just 3 years before Tatsu blew it out of the water
Rita - opened just before Stealth went taller and faster in its own country
Etc etc

While I know it doesn't sound like it I do actually agree with you, they've some poor ride choices over the years, I do feel calling things like twisted colossus and Batman out is a bit cruel 😂
Yeah, some of them are stretches at best, and some weren't surpassed for a good few years and got to regin uncontested for a while. But it does have a compound effect on the park's current lineup. Many of the rides there seem outdated compared to vastly better counterparts elsewhere (or they went and ran with a concept that didn't quite work).

In terms of Alton Towers, one could argue that the park is under such restrictions that it could never match the bolder younger siblings anyway. Oblivion couldn't be built with a 60-meter plunge towards the ground from way up high, after all, as it couldn't be taller than the trees. But I think Rita definitely aged like milk. Not because Stealth is taller and faster, but because it was built right before the end of the period when a launch could be the central gimmick of a coaster. It is comparable to Full Throttle, in a way: It is all centered around its propulsion mechanism, which was surpassed by multiple other coasters shortly therafter, and the rest of the layout does nothing interesting at all. It just sheds speed while it meanders back to the station. Rita is a coaster with "nothing but a launch", built right before coasters that merely used their launch to get up to speed for much more interesting and varied layouts. I mean, just consider the second half of Maverick, which was built only two years after Rita.