What's new

Six Flags Great America 2014

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Six Flags Great America has posted a video to youtube that says "follow the journey" so even though many of us thought that the park would be receiving a skyscreamer, this does not at all sound like that. Could it be a flat ride? This sounds like one of those advertisements that is used for coasters, so we might finally see that launched coaster added to the park this year! I personally was expecting skyscreamer this year and then the coaster in 2015. Thoughts on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSCm6QM5dlY

BBH

Giga Poster
As I said on SFGAmWorld, this is either going to be a pleasant surprise or a gigantic letdown. I'm leaning towards the latter, it might just be some sort of animatronic dinosaur walkthrough.

njn63

Mega Poster
If it was going to be anything over 125 feet wouldn't they have approval already? I went through the meeting records and there is nothing so I'm going to say it isn't a coaster.

BBH

Giga Poster
njn63 said:
If it was going to be anything over 125 feet wouldn't they have approval already? I went through the meeting records and there is nothing so I'm going to say it isn't a coaster.
The zoning board meeting is Wednesday the 21st, but in the past finalization (before the Jim Reid-Anderson era, however) has run into mid-September or even well into Fright Fest.

It's definitely not anything to do with Eagle, however, since they are running Eagle Blue backwards for Fright Fest. Because they are running it backwards - or at all for that matter - until the end of October means that it isn't a candidate for an Iron Horse refurbishment. (Rattler closed at the beginning of August, and Texas Giant was closed for an entire year to do the I-Box treatment, so it's physically impossible.)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
No... It isn't impossible, just unlikely. They could do what happened at 6FoT, and close it for all of 2014 and open it in 2015.

I think it will be something unspectacular for 2014.

njn63

Mega Poster
I think it's funny how much Screamscape scrubbed their page after the Eagle rumor got shot down.

I think the premier launch is most likely based on the space/height/cost. Probably could break some records with a wild wooden coaster but it just doesn't make sense based on the space.

njn63

Mega Poster
Fastest wooden coaster with only a height of 165 feet? El Toro has a 176 foot drop so it'd either have to go underground or be launched...

I'm trying not to get my hopes up because I'd love to see a new wooden coaster there. :)

Intricks

Strata Poster
^^ Never said anything about US or the World, but it could go under the service road another 20 or so feet to nab longest drop height and speed, but I have a feeling its just going to go faster than American Eagle.

^ Id say them or GG. How much did Toro cost again? Was it in the same ballpark as Voyage or Outlaw Run?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: Six Flags Great America 2014

Outlaw Run was like 10-12 million I believe, but don't quote me on that. Much much much cheaper than Intamin, plus how many GG has SF made? Then look at their great relationship with RMC (seemingly) and the success of all 3. Plus they have done a lot of work with SF over the years.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Im only suggesting GG because of Voyage and Hades, mainly because of their underground sections and sheer size/compactness they offer, plus they have far more wooden coasters designed and built than RMC has (experience over the new kid on the block).

Plus, Six Flags has stuck to their Iron Horse treatments rather than building from the ground up, although they have done some topper track treatments for a few of their wooden coasters. I would say Herschend has a better chance of building another Topper Track coaster more than anyone else currently.

BBH

Giga Poster
Six Flags has shown they're not afraid to take coasters underground to boost speed without sacrificing height. (See American Eagle, alternatively Raging Bull)

njn63

Mega Poster
Live stream of the Gurnee Zoning & Planning Board meeting tonight at 7:30pm:
http://sfgamzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2535
Intricks said:
Im only suggesting GG because of Voyage and Hades, mainly because of their underground sections and sheer size/compactness they offer, plus they have far more wooden coasters designed and built than RMC has (experience over the new kid on the block).

Plus, Six Flags has stuck to their Iron Horse treatments rather than building from the ground up, although they have done some topper track treatments for a few of their wooden coasters. I would say Herschend has a better chance of building another Topper Track coaster more than anyone else currently.
Six Flags has no (recent) history with GG though and based on the reviews of Outlaw Run I really don't see why they wouldn't have RMC at the top of their list.
BBH said:
Six Flags has shown they're not afraid to take coasters underground to boost speed without sacrificing height. (See American Eagle, alternatively Raging Bull)
Six Flags didn't build American Eagle but good point on Raging Bull. I always forget that tunnel has a real purpose.

njn63

Mega Poster
Layout:
09iv.jpg

Heights:
BSO6LxpCYAAX0iD.jpg:large

Looks like a dive loop by the station?