What's new

Six Flags / Cedar Fair Merger Announced

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
They also lack anything here in Florida, a state I know both companies always wanted to get into.
True.

Given its large population and massive tourism industry , I've always thought Miami would be a good spot, but given how it's so constricted between the Atlantic and the Everglades, making it one of the most land constrained major metro areas in the nation, perhaps land is now just too expensive to make the economics of a massive, land-gobbling theme park work there these days.

Looking at things regionally, Six Fairs (or Cedar Flags, if you prefer) will be a bit thin in the burgeoning Southeast region of the nation, with just Carowinds and SFOG.

Regional break down of the 26 combined theme parks:

Northeast: 7
Midwest: 7
California: 4
South Central: 3
Southeast: 2
Canada: 2
Mexico: 1

Last edited:

hootie3

Roller Poster
True.

Given its large population and massive tourism industry , I've always thought Miami would be a good spot, but given how it's so constricted between the Atlantic and the Everglades, making it one of the most land constrained major metro areas in the nation, perhaps land is now just too expensive to make the economics of a massive, land-gobbling theme park work there these days.

Looking at things regionally, Six Fairs (or Cedar Flags, if you prefer) l, they are a bit thin in the burgeoning Southeast region of the nation, with just Carowinds and SFOG.

Regional break down of the 26 combined parks:

Northeast: 7
Midwest: 7
California: 4
South Central: 3
Southeast: 2
Canada: 2
Mexico: 1

Orlando is really the perfect FL theme park location but they're about maxed out at this point. Tampa could be a decent spot. But I think a great spot would be Lake City area. Right off I-10 and I-75, which would be "on the way" for most travelers going towards Orlando. It would be close enough to Valdosta to maybe force Herschend to do some upgrades to Wild Adventures. Plus as a personal bonus it would give us in the Jacksonville area a true "home park", lol.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Unfortunately, since CF is calling the shots on this one, I'd wager RMC and Intamin just got walled off from most of the NA market. RIP.
RMC and Intamin were literally my first thought as well, but I went more with the "maybe we'll start seeing them in Cedar Fair parks" angle. I didn't really consider the other side, but now that you mention it, it could be a worry. I guess it depends who at Cedar Fair are particularly anti-RMC/Intamin and how much power they have over the new company.

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
Kinda makes me think that if the new Vekoma installations going in at SFGAdv and KI next year are well-received by both the GP and park management, Vekoma could potentially get on an INSANE roll with a re-newed relationship with a 26 park mega-chain, and a continental market relatively underserved by Vekoma's reinvented product line.

ricklap77

Roller Poster
Likewise I do hope this is a purposely slow transition, even just the "Cedar Point, a Six Flags Company Park" or something to the effect of adding Six Flags as the "underwritten" corporate owner.

Putting a little more of a think on this to @Lofty's point, while this will lead to a more cost-effective corporation with lower overhead cost; there will still be 43 properties to feed (27 from Six Flags, 16 from Cedar Fair) and oversee now. While I expect the status quo for lower priority parks not to receive significant upgrades/investment (Michigan's Adventure, Darien Lake, etc.) and stay relatively stagnant so long as they turn a profit - I worry those low-priority parks could see ever reduced investment, especially if there is some sort of angle or thought to add investment to parks with delayed improvements or upgrades across either parks. IDK, it's hard to fathom the ride additions strategy from here when the two lead competitors are merging. 😅

The idea has been floated that somehow the smaller parks would be sold off or liquidated by some in the coaster community. I feel that remains a separate issue (you would sell off or close a property if it wasn't making target revenue, regardless), but do wonder what this all will mean for the not-Cedar-Points-and-Magic-Mountains of the world.
Smaller parks could be sold yes but some smaller parks turn in a good profit. I have heard several times that La Ronde was one of the most profitable parks within the Six Flags chain! For the past few years they have removed older attractions every season and not replaced them, and the customers are still there and I mean the park is crowded. So huge park doesn'nt necessarily mean big profits. I think with this merge we'll see less huge attractions being built as there will be less competition. With the aftermath of the pandemic and the looming recession, the better years for the amusement industry might be behind us. I think that in NA we have been really spoiled with many attractions being added on a regular basis and spending on new ones might be on the brakes for a little while. New rides and coasters might eventually come from parks that close within this new chain.

ViperGTS500

Roller Poster
RMC and Intamin were literally my first thought as well, but I went more with the "maybe we'll start seeing them in Cedar Fair parks" angle. I didn't really consider the other side, but now that you mention it, it could be a worry. I guess it depends who at Cedar Fair are particularly anti-RMC/Intamin and how much power they have over the new company.
I feel like RMC is on thin ice but Intamin already fell through the ice..

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Kinda makes me think that if the new Vekoma installations going in at SFGAdv and KI next year are well-received by both the GP and park management, Vekoma could potentially get on an INSANE roll with a re-newed relationship with a 26 park mega-chain, and a continental market relatively underserved by Vekoma's reinvented product line.
I spoke with Har Kupers earlier this year about Vekoma's North American comeback with their new lineup of coaster models and he said that I haven't seen anything yet. He said all the current installations and announcements are just a drop in the bucket compared to what's coming.

RideTheCyclone

Roller Poster
I could see the projects Six Flags planned with RMC will absolutly go forward in the newly formed mega chain. Hopefully that means a Raptor at SFOG will be a thing after those projects are done. They need one really badly

Lofty

CF Legend
The ONLY criticism that I have towards this is the human collateral that will inevitably form part of it.

In essence, the company now has double the senior management team that it needs, at a senior level. With the move to North Carolina, the head office is either a) going to have to allow remote working for those that are unable to move, b) offer some pretty hefty relocation packages, or c) lose some of the people from Six Flags' SMT.

I do feel for their team, but, sadly, business is business.

hersheyfan410

Roller Poster
The ONLY criticism that I have towards this is the human collateral that will inevitably form part of it.

In essence, the company now has double the senior management team that it needs, at a senior level. With the move to North Carolina, the head office is either a) going to have to allow remote working for those that are unable to move, b) offer some pretty hefty relocation packages, or c) lose some of the people from Six Flags' SMT.

I do feel for their team, but, sadly, business is business.
From what I understand, shedding weight at the corporate level (especially SF managers) was a big reason for this whole endeavor. I agree it’s a huge bummer that staff is getting let go with their families, expenses etc. I’m currently looking for work and it’s never an easy process. Anyway, I’m cautiously optimistic that the merger will make the parks better after a few seasons/years.

RideTheCyclone

Roller Poster
An unfortunate incident happened on Goliath at SFOG with some ride operators refused to let people board on the train before closing hour. This apparently affected some YouTuber were affected by it after attending the grand opening of Kid Flash a few hours ago. This is something that I have never heard off happening. Let’s hope this does not become a thing and spread it other parks in the chain with this merger taking place.

Last edited: