What's new

Silver Star

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Random, but something I've been wondering.
To anyone who has been on Silver Star at Europa Park..

How is it?
It's kind of infamous for its trim brakes and I've heard comments such as "made this the biggest family coaster in Europe"
Now I'm not one to believe the internet...so I figured that's some hyperbole.
How's the ride? Also, do you think it gets robbed a bit with all the trims?

nealbie

CF Legend
When I went in summer 2010 all of the trims were off as was the mcbr, so it flew around and was really good! There was a marked improvement acknowledged by two people with me who'd been before saying it was now mega compared to how much it sucked when trimmed.

Some CFers went recently, so I'd be interested to find out if the trims are still not causing immense upset, because to me (whilst I've never personally experienced it when the trims are on) it seems the ride quality varies wildly from amazing when off to the "massive family coaster" ratings you've stumbled across online when they're on.

Better not make a habit of this helpful and informative post malarky xD

andrus

Giga Poster
I went the same year as nealbie and thought it was fine :) Great fun! But it's really far from the intensity and greatness that some of the other B&M hypers are! The trims were on when I rode it, and the trains crawled over the hills. Like I said, it's a fun coaster but not very intense and it's lacking a bit when it comes to airtime..

marc

CF Legend
Went on it about 5 years ago and did not like it.

Yes there was lots of floater but it was just trim trim trim brake trim.

The best part was the s-bend near the end.

Don't think I'm a fan of floater time tbh.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
The new magnetic trims are unnoticeable. I never rode it with the old trims, so I don't know how they compared.

I've been on other B&M hypers before and wasn't that impressed, but had some amazing rides on Silver Star after learning how to ride it. The trick is to leave a bit of a gap between you and the restraint, and then hold the restraint open a bit throughout the ride. If you do that, you really do float on the hills. There's a whole load of airtime to be found on every hill as long as you know how to get the best out of the ride. If you get stapled or ride with your arms up, you'll probably come off disappointed.

marc

CF Legend
The ride 5 years ago was trim trim trim brakes trim s-bend

Yes it gave floater but I just found it boring and every hill the same.

Darren B

Giga Poster
I didn't notice the magnetic trim's one bit. It's a great ride, it does what a B&M hyper is supposed to, and does it very well. Arguably it doesn't have the most inspiring layout, but again, it's a B&M hyper, it doesn't need one.

Basically, great ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
The ride 5 years ago was trim trim trim brakes trim s-bend

Yes it gave floater but I just found it boring and every hill the same.

It's still trimmed, but you don't really feel it grab. It's just as you're cresting and as you're starting to float anyway, so I found that the trim actually added a little to the airtime as the train slows and you move forwards (like a light version of Stealth's brakes).

It is B&M floater though, so it's really how much you enjoy that. I found the coaster really good fun and I think better than both Apollo's Chariot and Nitro, but that's all. I enjoy the floater and it's a really "nice" ride, but it's hardly going to set the world alight unless the floater really pushes your buttons.

I guess it's a "depends on what you like" coaster :lol:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I also found that the trims at one point added a bit to the airtime - that bit and the s-bends were the best parts of the ride, I'd certainly say Nitro was better though!, not sure about apollo's charriot...

andrus

Giga Poster
I definitely think the airtime was stronger and more sustained on Nitro though. And Nitro was a much better coaster imo!! I don't know with Apollo's Chariot though, I was a little bit disappointed with that one. AC and SS probably rank the same for me (ie a lot lower than Nitro).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I seem to remember enjoying Apollo's Chariot more than Nitro. Nitro was a bit shaky and bumpy which detracted a little. It is like comparing the Inverts (or maybe even worse) in that the rides are all so similar that it's hard to really distinguish between them.

I do want to ride more B&M Megas now close to riding Silver Star just to get a contemporary comparison for myself :)

TilenB

Strata Poster
Its a great coaster, I don't really remember any trims, while riding it in June 2010.
O_O it's almost two years now!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I was expecting the worst due to the constant "Silver Trim LOL" posts I'd constantly seen, but I really enjoyed it. I tend to really like B&M hypers anyway, and this did no more or less than the rest of them.

The mantra that "floater airtime isn't airtime" that a few people seem to follow is ridiculous in my opinion. If your arse is off the seat, it's airtime, and your arse is off the seat on every one of those hills. No, you're not thrown out of your seat (well, actually you are in the back rows coming off the mcbr), but you're still getting airtime.

However, I can understand if people find the layout boring and repetitive because, like most B&M hypers, it is.

marc

CF Legend
Maybe I need to ride it again as they done a lot of work the other year.

When we rode it, it rattled down the drop and you could really feel the trims. We still done it 6 times and it was always the same.

Glad it's got better, Richard said it was much better the year after we all went.

bergochdalbana

Mega Poster
The magnetic trims have made the ride a lot better, since they grip "gently" along the whole length of the train, where as the mechanical ones gripped hard at the end of the train. The magnetic brakes also have a fixed brake force, and can't be changed due to different train speeds as the mechanical does, which will make faster trains go faster over the hills, and thus produce more airtime and a better ride.
It might also be a more psychological thing since you don't hear/notice them as much due to their gentler nature.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I have been riding it today and yesterday and it has been running with lots and lots of airtime, floater and even some ejector. A bit rough but all the airtime makes it a must ride plus i barely felt the trimes activated so maybe Europa Park got the message. Back is best!