What's new

Should I buy NL2?

Patrik3

Roller Poster
Hi

Sorry I'm not much active on Coasterforce anymore... I haven't even been on a ride in ages (I've not been on a rollercoaster since before Swarm opened at Thorpe... so that must be at least a couple years :( )

Anyway, I slightly want to get back into No Limits, but apparently NL2 is already out... should I buy it?

- Is it worth it?

I don't know exactly what $49 is in £, but I don't have much money at the moment...

- Is it any easier to create tracks in NL2?

The biggest thing that puts me off playing NL more is that it takes forever to make a semi-decent track and iron out all the spikes/pumping... It's a big commitment trying to make even a modestly sized coaster, so I have loads of 'just-started' projects that I've only made a couple turns on, before getting bored and starting something else...

- Do people who already bought NL get any sort of discount on NL2?

(Just checking..!) Also, is it possible to import tracks from NL and work on them in NL2?

- Do people on Coasterforce still look at coasters from NL?

If I decided not to buy NL2 and then created some awesome coaster on NL that I wanted to show off... would anyone be interested...?

Also... I saw some game on Steam that looked really exciting. I can't remember the name but I'm sure other people have seen it - it was in closed beta when I saw it... Maybe I should get that game instead?

I'd really appreciate if someone could answer my questions... I do want to get back into NL, and NL2 looks pretty fantastic and exciting but unless it really is worth it I don't have 30 quid (ish?) to spare...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Patrik3 said:
Hi!

Patrik3 said:
- Is it worth it?

I don't know exactly what $49 is in £, but I don't have much money at the moment...
As of 21:03 UTC, it's just shy of £30.
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/con ... USD&To=GBP

Patrik3 said:
- Is it any easier to create tracks in NL2?

The biggest thing that puts me off playing NL more is that it takes forever to make a semi-decent track and iron out all the spikes/pumping... It's a big commitment trying to make even a modestly sized coaster, so I have loads of 'just-started' projects that I've only made a couple turns on, before getting bored and starting something else...
I haven't actually gotten the chance to use NL2 much, I've had far too much work on at Uni at the moment to really give it any time (I'm barely using CF as well to be honest), BUT NL2 is more complicated. I think it's similar to when you first start NL1, at first it's very difficult and complicated, but I'm sure one you get used to it it's more than manageable.

Patrik3 said:
- Do people who already bought NL get any sort of discount on NL2?

(Just checking..!) Also, is it possible to import tracks from NL and work on them in NL2?
There's no discount for people already having NL1. And yes, you can import tracks from NL1 to NL2, although I don't know how much editing ability gets transferred across. Someone else might have to tell you that.

Patrik3 said:
- Do people on Coasterforce still look at coasters from NL?

If I decided not to buy NL2 and then created some awesome coaster on NL that I wanted to show off... would anyone be interested...?
I'm not really downloading much at the moment (I will likely have a big day of doing it at some point when I need a break), but I certainly wouldn't discriminate against NL1. Only thing is, NL2 has a lot more to it and so gives you the change to be more creative.

Patrik3 said:
Also... I saw some game on Steam that looked really exciting. I can't remember the name but I'm sure other people have seen it - it was in closed beta when I saw it... Maybe I should get that game instead?

I'd really appreciate if someone could answer my questions... I do want to get back into NL, and NL2 looks pretty fantastic and exciting but unless it really is worth it I don't have 30 quid (ish?) to spare...
I think you're probably talking about Theme Park Studio. That's about as much as I can tell you!

Patrik3

Roller Poster
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll hold off on it just now and try making more tracks in NL1 for the moment...

nemesis_guy

Roller Poster
Patrik3 said:
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll hold off on it just now and try making more tracks in NL1 for the moment...

I've used both NL1 and 2 and once you get used the new editor in NL2 I do find it easier to create tracks, I find the coasters I build now are a lot smoother. At first though it will be confusing especially if you're used to NL1 editor.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Creating tracks in NL2 is infinitely easier and simpler in comparison to NL1. NL2 uses an entirely new track interface that allows you to create ultra realistic, super smooth and flowing tracks with complete control over shaping and banking. A much more powerful and potent GUI than before.

With the original NoLimits, every vertex you placed served 2 purposes, one to deal with the flow of the spine and the other to deal with the flow of the banking. If you didn't get your spacing proper then you ran into issues with the bankings being off slightly between segments which caused jerks and unwanted nonsense. It took a lot of practice to become proficient with creating smooth tracks, which is generally why a lot of people reverted to using FVD's (Newton 2, FVD++, etc.) to make their tracks because they either couldn't become proficient with making tracks smooth or just wanted more control than what was available at the time.

With NL2, all of that has changed. The roll nodes and track nodes have been separated to the point where it is now incredibly simple and easy to create smoother tracks. You can basically use as many track nodes as you want and you won't run into issues with banking jerks or little knots here and there from varying your segment lengths. Track shaping is very easy and simple to control now, especially with the visual radius comb and force tools. You can physically see if the element you're making isn't round, or if there's a unruly jerk in the middle that needs to be ironed out. Roll control is also simpler and easier as well since the roll control is isolated from the track nodes. You can manually heartline everything or you can set the heartline to either the track default or to a custom height and the program will take care of the rest. Getting that perfect banking is also easier than ever too since the program can now calculate all of the forces and properly bank to eliminate lateral force. Rolling between roll nodes is also smooth- no need to evenly space the roll nodes, the software automatically creates an even flow.

All of this is not to say that it's basically idiot proof- you will still need to put some effort into it to control shaping and rolling and whatnot, it's just been made simpler now for the average user. Those of us who are above and beyond average generally find that we can use these new features to an even greater advantage and make complex shaping and radical elements that just weren't possible before.

Supporting is also easier too since there is a clone tool. If you have a complex structure and you need to make multiples of it then you can clone it and paste it at will. Makes for a speedier build time instead of sitting there for hours trying to make each structure. Other cool features like Beam Nodes let you place a support node on any pre-existing beam (even in the 3D "Perspective" view) to make support connections easier. There is also a Flance Node as well that lets you quickly make flanges with just the click of a mouse. The NL2 team also fixed the annoying support gap issue that was present before in NL1- you know the one where you wound up with that annoying and ugly looking gap at any angle on a support beam, since the ends of the support tubes ended abruptly. You had to place another support over it, or carefully design your structure so as to avoid this obstacle entirely. Well now you can place a support beam and then branch one off at a 90* angle at the end and the program will join the tubes with a proper joint.

The scenery editor, scripting engines, weather engine, terraformer, so on and so forth are also very powerful and can add a HUGE amount of detail to your ride like never before. Making landscapes is simpler, tunneling is easy, scripting onboard audio, lights, making scripted flat rides, creating custom trains with custom track- it's all easier than ever before. There really are no limits to this 2nd installment!