What's new

Should Alcohol be Served in Theme Parks?

WildMouse

Roller Poster
Short answer. Yes.

There's nothing better than a relaxing pint to break up the day.

It's all about moderation. I see no joy in getting totally sozzled at a theme park. :drinking:

Lofty

CF Legend
The whole alcohol debate grinds my gears, if in moderation, Yes, of course, it actually loosens people up and can make them have more fun, this is a proven fact, so, guests can have a lot more fun in your park if you serve alcohol, I'm not saying that they won't if you don't etc. But, they should have got to a point in serving that man alcohol where they realise that he's reached his limit, you have to blame the people serving it for that.

It's the same in the bar I work (I've worked there for 3 years), if you can see someone is becoming drunk rapidly, you put a "DNS" (Do Not Serve) on them, so nobody will serve them any alcoholic beverage until they've clearly sobered/gone away. This is a universal trick, the park have obviously not put this into fruition.

marc

CF Legend
But is there a need to walk round a park at 10:30 am with a pint in hand like we saw at Thorpe yesterday? The park had only been open 30 mins lol.

Lofty

CF Legend
Why not? Just because it's not what you'd do, doesn't mean it's wrong? (Actually it does, but you get me) Each to their own and all that ****!

Ha. I have to say I've done that before, plenty of times, I've started drinking at 7am a few times going on a Holiday <3

marc

CF Legend
In a theme park? I just don't get it but whatever.

It's the ride ops that have to clear up the sick, I feel bad for them.

Mark

Strata Poster
I've only ever once started drinking early, due to the world cup when I was at college. I only had 2 or 3 but found by 5/6pm I was totally exhausted and ended up falling asleep.

I have never had any alcohol in a theme park apart from 1 pint in the England area of Epcot in the evening waiting for the fireworks. Even then it felt really weird and 'not right'.

I guess I've never associated alcohol with theme parks.

However I've seen several occasions when people were off their heads and being overly aggressive, loud and generally obnoxious towards other people in the queue.

Ben

CF Legend
Mark said:
I've only ever once started drinking early, due to the world cup when I was at college.

Hold on... What?

Were you drinking to numb the pain :p

I agree though, if I drink that early I fall asleep and have a headache by supper.

Mark

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Mark said:
I've only ever once started drinking early, due to the world cup when I was at college.

Hold on... What?

Were you drinking to numb the pain :p

I agree though, if I drink that early I fall asleep and have a headache by supper.

Haha. Pretty much yup, on both counts.

fretboardpyro

Mega Poster
I really don't think alchohol has a place in theme parks. It makes louts louty-er and creates an oppressive atmosphere when large groups are wrecked in lines.

I don't go to theme parks to feel like this, I go to feel liberated and have fun. I certainly don't take my little boy to places where there are large groups of smashed yobs, and as theme parks are family orientated I don't expect it in a theme park.

tks

Strata Poster
fretboardpyro said:
I really don't think alchohol has a place in theme parks. It makes louts louty-er and creates an oppressive atmosphere

Have you ever set foot in a pub?

nadroJ

CF Legend
^You're going to the wrong pubs then haha! I find pubs relaxing and friendly and much prefer them over say, a nightclub.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I think only if people can drink responsibly. People who go to parks and get hammered and are being rude and annoying just ruin the time for the people who want to go and have fun and enjoy the rides and the park.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Sure.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a libertarian in nature, so I tend to disdain restrictions lol but really I see no problem.

I've only seen it at Cedar Point anyway...I think maybe Hershey as an area?? But that's exactly it, it's not like you can buy beer at cart vendors, (unless you can at some) there are always designated areas, and obviously a park will enforce the 21 year rule (or whatever it may be for you).

You can get wasted at a sporting event, or bar...why not a park? It's really no different. Maybe there's a lot more people around but really...gotta have faith in people. A few bad apples, but most will be fine.

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
nadroJ said:
Ashstrodamus said:
I was at Six Flags over Georgia in the mid-2000's. My brother and I wanted to get a beer so we asked a security guy where we could find an alcoholic beverage in the park. They laughed at us and said, "These people would murder each other if we served alcohol in the park." I assumed he was talking about "black" people, as about six or seven huge fights broke out that day, and every one of the participants were, well, black. (No racist)

Wow.....errm...you do realise that putting 'no racist' at the end of a really racist post doesn't get rid of the racism, right? Just sayin'.
I was just being silly. They do that "no racist" on another forum I frequent all the time, but really, there was no racism present as I was speaking facts.