What's new

SFSTL | Rookie Racer | Vekoma Junior Coaster | 2023

JackFish

Mega Poster
Xcalbuler is being taken out and with that, there could be room for a new coster or flat ride. There would certainly be room for a kiddie coaster which I've heard rumors about but it's possible that maybe they could fit something else in there. Unlikely, for a new major coaster, but never the less, let's discuss it!

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
I know some things I maybe shouldn't, so will be careful. Xcalibur has been super troublesome over the past few years, and this was gonna be the offseason that they made a call on its long-term viability. Separately, Six Flags St Louis did reveal at CoasterCon that they would be getting a family friendly attraction near Boss this year with a 36" height requirement, which lines up with a certain Skyline model. Never mind that they're allegedly training staff to man an unknown kiddy coaster this season;

As for what happens beyond that, can't say. Enjoy your new P'sghetti Bowl this year. ;)

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Xcalbuler is being taken out and with that, there could be room for a new coster or flat ride. There would certainly be room for a kiddie coaster which I've heard rumors about but it's possible that maybe they could fit something else in there. Unlikely, for a new major coaster, but never the less, let's discuss it!
As Tantrum stated, an unrelated new coaster is opening near Boss. Really interested to find out what replaces Xcalibur though.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
K so I was told people were being trained on an unknown new kiddy coaster this year. Did not expect that Vekoma curveball.

Indy

Hyper Poster
It seems they did a sweeping chain-wide release early this morning as news outlets are reporting on it and the attraction pages are easily found on each park's website. SSFFT's is confirmed to be named KID FLASH Cosmic Coaster as well.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Ahhh the trans studio model of Vekoma junior. Which are a all clones of a ride installed in South Africa 22 years ago.

It's such an odd model. The first one opened in 2001, it took 16 years before another one opened and now there's almost 30 of the damn things.

Very strange.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Ahhh the trans studio model of Vekoma junior. Which are a all clones of a ride installed in South Africa 22 years ago.

It's such an odd model. The first one opened in 2001, it took 16 years before another one opened and now there's almost 30 of the damn things.

Very strange.
Wasn't the original one built as a custom model for the indoor park in South Africa? Then Transmart bought it on the 2nd hand market and ordered 20 more clones of it. It kind of makes sense as an indoor ride with walkways beneath it, but looks positively bizarre as a fenced off outdoor ride considering how high it stays off the ground for most of the layout.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Wasn't the original one built as a custom model for the indoor park in South Africa? Then Transmart bought it on the 2nd hand market and ordered 20 more clones of it. It kind of makes sense as an indoor ride with walkways beneath it, but looks positively bizarre as a fenced off outdoor ride considering how high it stays off the ground for most of the layout.
Correct. The original one is now in a mall in Indonesia. Just find it so weird that all these clones are of a 22 year old ride.

You're right. It's an unusual outdoor ride. I do wonder if Frida, the Saudi ride and this ride might be ones Trans Studio ordered and were manufactured but didn't get installed in Indonesia.

They originally ordered 45 and 20 or so of those didn't get built. (Vekoma sorted out a manufacturing plant in Asia specifically for these which shows how big a deal it was)

I assume the majority if not all of the remaining ones didn't get actually fabricated but perhaps one or two did before the rest of the deal fell through and they have found their way elsewhere?

Who knows. It's a nice theory but not one we can prove.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I think there is some merit to Frida being made for another park and last minuite installed at Energylandia. Seeing that coaster there surprised us all.

Find it very wierd to just fence off the whole SFSTL coaster, they could atleast add a Frida style walkway.

Niles

Giga Poster
Great they are getting a new coaster but what really interests me is that Six Flags are working with Vekoma.

*Looks at RCDB* The last time SF got a new coaster from them (not a relocation) was the deja vu trio back in 2001.

So while a bit of a dream im hoping that mabey this is the start of some next gen Vekomas coming to the chain.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Great they are getting a new coaster but what really interests me is that Six Flags are working with Vekoma.

*Looks at RCDB* The last time SF got a new coaster from them (not a relocation) was the deja vu trio back in 2001.

So while a bit of a dream im hoping that mabey this is the start of some next gen Vekomas coming to the chain.

Wasnt the rumour that Six Flags had ordered 3 coasters from Skyline for 2023? Maybe Skyline could only deliver 2 with such short notice. As SFSTL was already promised a kiddie for 2023 they reached out to other manufactueres and Vekoma happened to be able to quickly provide a coaster.

Heavy speculation but I hope this is the start in a long relationship.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Wasnt the rumour that Six Flags had ordered 3 coasters from Skyline for 2023? Maybe Skyline could only deliver 2 with such short notice. As SFSTL was already promised a kiddie for 2023 they reached out to other manufactueres and Vekoma happened to be able to quickly provide a coaster.

Heavy speculation but I hope this is the start in a long relationship.
From what we originally heard out of IAAPA, Six Flags bought a pair of dueling coasters from Skyline. A pair as in 2. Both of those were confirmed for SFFT and SFOG in all due time. However, there was a sudden flurry of word just after the New Year that Six Flags had also decided to purchase another two P'Sghetti Bowls of unknown layouts, around the same time that I first heard that the park was training staff on an undefined kiddy coaster. The former intel has been proven wrong.

They originally ordered 45 and 20 or so of those didn't get built. (Vekoma sorted out a manufacturing plant in Asia specifically for these which shows how big a deal it was)

I assume the majority if not all of the remaining ones didn't get actually fabricated but perhaps one or two did before the rest of the deal fell through and they have found their way elsewhere?

Who knows. It's a nice theory but not one we can prove.
According to comments on Reddit, around 30 or so were purchased but only 28 delivered, with at least two refused delivery due to the onset of COVID. Those two were Frida at Energylandia and Yan Coaster at Yerevan Park, which by pure coincidence are also the only two of its kind operating outside of Indonesia. My theory is that this one wasn't completely produced before the shipment, as the lead car's fixture is a Formula 1 car and in contradiction to the Crazy Taxi front cars.

Naturally this is great news for Six Flags St. Louis, but overall just one piece in a major course correction for Six Flags. Selim Bassoul has made a desperate 180 after his grand plan of less capital investment and more price hikes shat the bed, with attendance dropping 33% chain wide in Q3 of 2022 and generally pissing off the shareholders. Naturally, Six Flags went on a shopping spree at IAAPA just days after the Q3 call, and very vocally signed deals with manufacturers on whatever 2023 attractions they could get the shortest lead times on; quick-to-manufacture P'Sghetti Bowls from a company with a flexible production timeline, Proslide kiddy slides, and in this case a coaster that was already produced. The only other solution would have been the used rides market. Even the waterslides haven't begun production yet, and for a manufacturer with an extremely busy schedule that is cutting it very close. Today's announcement was strategically timed, ahead of tomorrow's Q4 earnings call, where the new investments will be championed ahead of likely lukewarm figures.

In summation I hope these eleventh-hour efforts pay off, thus reinforcing the message that new rides can and will continue to be what attracts visitors. Nobody would really complain about a return to the Jim Reid Anderson strategy.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
According to comments on Reddit, around 30 or so were purchased but only 28 delivered, with at least two refused delivery due to the onset of COVID. Those two were Frida at Energylandia and Yan Coaster at Yerevan Park, which by pure coincidence are also the only two of its kind operating outside of Indonesia. My theory is that this one wasn't completely produced before the shipment, as the lead car's fixture is a Formula 1 car and in contradiction to the Crazy Taxi front cars.

The original order was for 48 Vekoma coasters (not all 247m rides but the majority were) not around 30 and that was direct from Vekoma at the time and the only bit of the whole thing that's pretty solidly confirmed.

So quite a few more than 2 or 3 were cancelled or postponed. There's a couple more currently expected to go into Indonesian Transmarts with the completion with a couple of delayed malls due to finish construction soon (after a long covid delay) so it's still unclear exactly how many were cancelled and how many were just postponed.

Also there are more than 2 outside Indonesia. There's one at BLVD World in Saudi and it's even a taxi themed one. If any of them are transmart offcuts it's gotta be that one. It's even the same colour as transmarts litter of them.

Justin2000

Mega Poster
Wonder if this could lead to more Vekoma's at Six Flags Park

Some parks could use their new Launch*/Looping Coasters* and Junior Boomerangs/Splash Party's*

*I haven't been on them but they look cool/fun

cookie

Giga Poster
According to comments on Reddit, around 30 or so were purchased but only 28 delivered, with at least two refused delivery due to the onset of COVID. Those two were Frida at Energylandia and Yan Coaster at Yerevan Park, which by pure coincidence are also the only two of its kind operating outside of Indonesia.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, Frida didn't happen because of Covid, since it opened six months prior to the first recorded case in Wuhan. I think the reddit comment got that wrong.

Last edited: