What's new

Sea World San Diego |"Manta"| Mack Launched

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Manta - Mack Launched Coaster for Sea World San Diego

Blue Fire's really good, but, I'm not sure the track work is any better than on an Intamin. It's the fab trains that do it <3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

OK, your Stealth example is... dubious. I'd almost go as far to say wrong.

As for the corkscrews, two points:
1. They're different elements. The corkscrews on Maverick ride very differently to other corkscrews. They feel almost more like the B&M ones. You feel yourself climbing and then you're snapped over the top and feel yourself then falling towards the ground. It doesn't feel odd at all, and I think it's just a matter of angle. See below:
2. The angles of the photos are different. So it's very hard to compare shaping. As far as I can see they're basically the same. At least, they're not different enough to back up your claims.

I haven't done BlueFire though, so I'll have to take Ben's word for it being the trains. It really doesn't surprise me that the lap-bars make the ride feel much better than the horrid OTSRs on Maverick.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

^ Next time you're at Thorpe, stand head facing horizontal to the Fins on Stealth and you'll see the jolting. I have mentioned, and pointed this several times at lives. If Undead were here, he'd back me up lol.

The takes on the entrance to their corkscrews are different too. Intamin ducks and banks where Mack just follows through. So there are styling differences.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9182 ... 8at233.png
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9182/s ... 8at233.png

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Screaming Coasters said:
^ Next time you're at Thorpe, stand head facing horizontal to the Fins on Stealth and you'll see the jolting. I have mentioned, and pointed this several times at lives. If Undead were here, he'd back me up lol.

The takes on the entrance to their corkscrews are different too. Intamin ducks and banks where Mack just follows through. So there are styling differences.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9182 ... 8at233.png
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9182/s ... 8at233.png
Right, so what you're really saying is that you prefer the shaping of the Mack corkscrews, not that the Intamin ones are poorly done. I get you. ;)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Thats pretty much it, yup :)
And their takes on some other stuff. Its a different flow.

Ben

CF Legend

Shame this doesn't HAVE any Corkscrews really then isn't it?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

I did say "And their takes on some other stuff. Its a different flow."
Brain didn't quite process that bit, did it?

Xpress

Strata Poster

All this talk about inversions... And not a single one in sight on Manta. Fascinating.

Xpress

Strata Poster

Screaming Coasters said:
Anyway, I'm done and I'd rather you keep your thoughts to yourself because you're turning into the CF Clown.

I feel he already has..

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Lol don't mind him, Its his opinion or no ones XD

Back on topic, I didn't know Mack even made launch coasters, I've only ridden a handful of their spinning and wild mouse coasters. But it seems they pretty much stick to the family coaster market rather than going for thrill seekers.

andrus

Giga Poster

^Well yes they've only just started to make thrill coasters. Blue Fire was built in 2009 and there hasen't unfortunately been built another one since.. :( There has been rumoured that Mack has got several orders for launch/mega coasters, but aside from the mega-lite at Etnaland no other has been confirmed.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Oh wow. I looked Blue fire up in rcdb and it looks pretty sick. Anyone ridden it? Is it a good idea that Mack trying to get into that market?

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ Ive never been to Europa Park or ridden any major Mack rides, but Ive only heard tremendously good things about Blue Fire.
I think it is definetly a good idea. They have shown that they are able to make those sort of rides if a company or theme park approaches them and thats what they are looking for.
But they can also do smaller stuff, like Manta, and the awesome water coasters (JTA's and Posiedon).
Macks focus target will never be like B&M or Intamin's, however I do think it is a good idea for them to be making different sorts of coasters. It seems like theyve had plenty of experience to make this ride work.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Ben said:
Blue Fire's really good, but, I'm not sure the track work is any better than on an Intamin. It's the fab trains that do it <3

Ben, i was referring to this not the corkscrew post. I believe this counts as an opinion. The trains on this coaster and its theming make it exciting. Could you imagine this as a sit down coaster.

Ben

CF Legend

^It... is a sit-down coaster.

And that's totally unrelated to the discussion we're talking about here, so where's the relevance?

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

I thought it was a flying coaster like the one in Orlando? Ben I think your the only one posting here who has ridden it.

Shubinine

Mega Poster

I rode Blue Fire too, and i'll say that iSpeed(which I've obviously ridden too) is no match for it. Blue fire is pretty much IMO the best launched coaster in Europe.

On Topic: This looks great actually. It's nothing big or that, but it looks great even for a family ride.

It's sad that Mack does not get orders to install more, Blue Fire-ish rides. Are the parks dumb or what? That ride freaking OWNS every launched intamin out there(not the strata ones obviously), and I think that Mack can come up with a even better one if asked...

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ that seems to be largely debatable.
While Im not going to actually state which I think is better, as Ive never been able to go to Europe, I have heard and read remarkably amazing reviews of iSpeed. Blue Fire of course has gotten amazing reviews, but iSpeed seems to be the one that wins out.
Again, just from the impressions I get from reading reviews and whatnot.

Point is, Blue Fire is good enough to be considered the better one, therefore we should expect Manta to be pretty great.

And Venom2053, its definetly not a flying coaster.
Its very different from the Manta in Seaworld Orlando. Practically different in every single way except color - and name haha.
This Manta is much slower and shorter, has 2 launches and is definetly not a flying coaster.
So you thought it was a flying launched coaster?
That would be GREAT! But I think its wishful thinking lol.

I assume its trains will be like Blue Fire:

http://rcdb.com/4074.htm?p=23198

And here is a predicted layout of the coaster on No Limits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5U-277V49Q

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Okay, I've cleaned up the topic, deleted the arguments and contacted both Ben and Screaming Coasters about it. Completely off topic, but I thought everyone would like to know :)

I'd like to make an on topic attempt, but I don't have much to say without repeating the phrase "sexy curves" :lol: