What's new

Sea World San Diego |"Manta"| Mack Launched

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
The only real (common) weather-based obstructions are:
Wind - affects crane operations.
Rain - Hampers concrete operations, earth moving
Extreme cold - Either hampers concrete operations or requires special (Read: expensive) formulations.

Since San Diego doesn't get squat for rain or cold, and the ride is very low to the ground, minimizing the need for large cranes, this thing should have flown up in a matter of a couple weeks. The theming might take longer, but structural assembly of the ride should have been done by now.

Xpress

Strata Poster
rollermonkey said:
Since San Diego doesn't get squat for rain or cold

I was unaware you actually lived here... Because if you did you wouldn't be stating these outrageous claims.

34*F at night is cold, don't care who you are. Just a couple of degrees south and water freezes. Past couple of weekends it was raining, and we're expecting more rain this weekend. The ground on sight is in all likelihood mud, most of the stuff around here is clay.

Ben

CF Legend
Xpress said:
rollermonkey said:

I was unaware you actually lived here... Because if you did you wouldn't be stating these outrageous claims.

34*F at night is cold, don't care who you are. Just a couple of degrees south and water freezes. Past couple of weekends it was raining, and we're expecting more rain this weekend. The ground on sight is in all likelihood mud, most of the stuff around here is clay.

Haha, said like a true Californian pussy.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Xpress said:
rollermonkey said:

Actually, I lived there for seven years, from 1992 through 1999. In the neighborhoods of Tierrasanta, Paradise Hills and Clairemont Mesa, thank you.

34F? In Julian sure. Not as likely at Mission Bay.

Oh, and cold is a matter of perception. When I lived in Minnesota (1999-2001), 34F would have been a veritable heat wave in mid-winter.

Xpress

Strata Poster
You don't even have to go to Julian- I remember one night it was SNOWING in Crest, which is ~15 miles from Julian, not to mention the lower elevation. The temperature outside was 27*...

Mission bay is only 1700ft lower, so it was definitely in the 30's. Agree with what UC said.

Ben

CF Legend
The fact they have guidelines that say they can run inside if it gets 'cold' isn't making them look any less pussy.

Xpress

Strata Poster
I can imagine with the weather we're having today, construction isn't happening.

Ben said:
The fact they have guidelines that say they can run inside if it gets 'cold' isn't making them look any less pussy.

Ben, unless you have something to contribute to the thread, go shut the **** up. I don't see you working on construction, now do I?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Seaworld just released this update: http://youtu.be/PPql-0S7bFI

The station looks like it's going to look really nice. And they mentioned some sort of movie in the launch tunnel. Is it just me, or does this sound a bit like Blue Fire? It's somewhat different, but it's the same idea. It makes me wonder if Seaworld just liked Europa Park's idea to do this or if Mack designed this model to be compatible with dark ride sections.

On the bright side, it looks like the track might be nearing completion, and the station appears to be moving right along. If they continue at this pace, I think we might start seeing testing as early as April!

Lofty

CF Legend
Why do they always have to have **** irritating presenters? She needs to learn how to breathe.

Lofty

CF Legend
It really does look like a fun coaster, I really can't understand the layout no matter how many times I try. But, yeah, it looks like a great coaster.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
This transition is just pure sexyness and should provide some of the only airtime ever to grace California.
dsc0047te.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Yeah, I never mentioned the whole sharpness of hills, I was merely debating the fact that speed isn't necessarily always the biggest factor for airtime.

Lofty

CF Legend
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HN-8MlSj4&feature=g-all&context=G2ec919cFAAAAAAAAFAA[/youtube]

It's completed, a video showing the final piece being hoisted in place!