What's new

Screens on dark rides; what do you think of them?

What do you think of screens on dark rides?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. As technology advances, screens are growing ever more present within dark rides. Initially, it was Universal and Disney who pioneered the use of screens on rides, but regional parks eventually cottoned on, and most new dark rides built nowadays have some form of screen within them. However, screens are somewhat of a contentious topic among enthusiasts, with many complaining that their use has killed creativity within dark rides. So my question to you today is; how do you feel about screens on dark rides? Do you hate them? Do you not mind them? Do you like them? Or are you undecided? Or does it depend on the context?

Personally, I don't mind screens at all. In fact, when fused with physical theming as part of a more varied ride experience, I really like them, and I do think they can add a certain something to a ride when used well!

Now I don't rank dark rides to any huge extent, but if I did, I'd say that a big percentage of my top dark rides use screens to at least a certain extent. To be honest, off the top of my head, I'd probably say my top 5 dark rides are Tower of Terror, Gringotts, Spider-Man, Transformers and Forbidden Journey, in that order. 4 of those 5 use screens to at least some extent, and 3 of those 5 are quite heavily 3D-based, although they do have a lot of physical set pieces and effects as well. I love a traditional dark ride with physical sets & animatronics as much as the next person, but to be honest, I do think that the 3D element does add a certain level of dynamicness to those rides that I really like! However, I do think that for me to really love a screen-based dark ride and rank it in that top tier, it's got to be a tracked ride system of some form that fuses both screens and physical theming; I don't think a ride that is literally just a screen and nothing else (I'm thinking of things like Simpsons, Star Tours, Sky Lion, and Flight of Passage amongst others here) is really something that would be able to rank in my top tier of dark rides, as much as I do really enjoy some rides of that type. I personally prefer the tracked ride systems that have a bit of physical theming in there alongside the screens, and they're the screen rides that rank among my top dark rides.

So basically, I'd actually say that I like screens on dark rides on the whole! Don't get me wrong, I love a good physically themed dark ride with physical sets and animatronics as much as the next person, and a dark ride certainly doesn't need screens for me to like it, but I don't personally identify with the hate towards screen technology that some harbour; I do think screens can really add something to a ride when used well!

But what's your opinion on the contentious topic of screens?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Depends on the context and the way in which they're used... Not a fan of 'shooting screens' at all... I have a damn good gaming PC at home, with VR too, which looks and plays better than any screen based shooting ride... Unpopular opinion here maybe, but I hate Maus Au Chocolat!!!

Archie

Mega Poster
to be honest i have never really considered it as i haven't been on that many dark rides but personally i would say i prefer physical theming but i don't have a problem with screens

Gazza

Giga Poster
I don't mind when they are integrated into sets, but I hate when it's like the Madagascar dark ride at Universal Singapore and they just give up and make the last scene screens floor to ceiling.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I don't think a ride that is literally just a screen and nothing else (I'm thinking of things like Simpsons, Star Tours, Sky Lion, and Flight of Passage amongst others here) is really something that would be able to rank in my top tier of dark rides
Completely agree - it's far too limiting for anything like that to compete with the best.

I'm fine with them generally, in the best cases they're used appropriately to enhance the ride with a piece of media that perhaps something physical can't quite do justice to.

I can't think of many of my favourites that don't have a screen at least somewhere. Use as many mediums as possible I say. Well, except VR.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Screens can really add to an attraction, if used well. They need to be used in a way that really adds something dynamic to an otherwise great environment, though, preferably to do something that wouldn't otherwise be practical to do, and the quality of the video needs to be good enough to maintain the suspension of disbelief.

The problems come when either when the video is either janky enough to break the very illusion that they're trying to create, or when the video tries to become the entire ride experience. I guess I can make an exception for a really well done flying theatre or simulator, but only if both video and ride motion are 100% on point. Most of the time, they're not.

Not a fan of 'shooting screens' at all... Unpopular opinion here maybe, but I hate Maus Au Chocolat!!!
No, that's entirely fair, IMO. You can do this well, but very few attractions do. So many have either static scenes, or have targets that barely respond when you hit them. The end result is usually an experience that feels very bland, as if nothing that you do has any effect.

The one attraction that I remember standing out in this regard is probably Huntik at Rainbow Magicland. That ride was an interesting mix; Imagine static targets along the lines of Duel or Tomb Blaster, but with the addition of screens in specific places and scenes. Unlike many other rides, however, Huntik had hordes of enemies coming directly at you out of the screen. They went down easily from a single hit, but those short sequences were a pretty relentless few seconds of trying to stem the tide. The feedback loop with something like this is important, and Huntik is one of the few times where there were moments when I felt like I was really accomplishing something. If you hit something on screen, you got a real sense of the impact.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Screens in my opinion can be a great tool in special effects, but are always best when supporting practical sets, props and other RT effects!

One huge bugbear is when screens edges arent hidden or integrated into the environment - especially in naturalistic environments like caves.... it completely breaks any sense of immersion going round seeing square and rectangle screens everywhere!

Last edited:

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I did instinctively think “blergh, screens” but SpiderMan at IOA is sooooooooo good, exactly how screens should be integrated (if done bombastically); with props, practical effects and a sprinkling of illusion 😍

Heth

Mega Poster
I did instinctively think “blergh, screens” but SpiderMan at IOA is sooooooooo good, exactly how screens should be integrated (if done bombastically); with props, practical effects and a sprinkling of illusion 😍

I agree with this. When screens are all there is, or are done poorly they are horrible. For example I hated the screen sections of Forbidden Journey. However, Spiderman used them so effectively.