What's new

Saw Alive: Thorpe Park Horror Maze for 2010

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Thanks, guys. It looks like a typical Eurofighter, but with more theming than most of them. If the theming makes the ride better, then good.

If it detracts from the experience, then I could see it being a problem.

It sounds like the park built the ride up (hype) to be more than it is. This would be very similar to what happened with the Dark Knight mouse coasters.

They made it sound like it was going to be the greatest thing ever, when in reality it's just a mouse in a box.

You guys were made to think that it was going to be the most amazing coaster ever, when you were 'just' getting a new, custom Eurofighter.

That's a complaint that I can understand, and commiserate with. Of course, I'd rather have the Eurofighter than a mouse...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
jacoaster said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
If it had the same level of theming as we see on Mystery Mine and Fluch von Novgorod, then it would be good...

As the theming is not, I don't rate it...
For christ's sake... why do so many people moan on and on about the theming??

I mean, what on earth were you expecting? It's Thorpe Park. They are not going to be producing Disney-quality theming. Saw is arguably the best themed ride in the park, yet apparently it's still not good enough... :?

If there was evidence that Thorpe could do much better theming, then I could understand the moaning. But there's not, so you're just unappreciative.

I'm sorry for picking on you specifically - this post applies to all the other moaners too.

I was expecting more than a shed that looks like it's meant to have depth but severely lacks it... And lots of wire fencing... And metal, lots of metal...

I was hoping the theming would be good all over, inside it's decent, but the way people were talking about it I thought the queue-line would be all indoors, covered with props and stuff, but a corridor and 3 sets of stairs? Blergh...

It was over-hyped so much for an average ride which could've been done so much more better, with originality theming wise and not leeching onto a rather old franchise which could fade in the future...

Martyn B

CF Legend
Hmmm, Colossus is surely due a re-paint.... ;)

My money would be on a re-theme for Samurai. But then surely having 2 Saw rides would warrant a new themed land?

jacoaster

Roller Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
I was expecting more than a shed that looks like it's meant to have depth but severely lacks it... And lots of wire fencing... And metal, lots of metal...

I was hoping the theming would be good all over, inside it's decent, but the way people were talking about it I thought the queue-line would be all indoors, covered with props and stuff, but a corridor and 3 sets of stairs? Blergh...

It was over-hyped so much for an average ride which could've been done so much more better, with originality theming wise and not leeching onto a rather old franchise which could fade in the future...
I do agree that it was a little over-hyped (I mean it's hardly the "world's scariest ride" :lol:), but I still think it's a great addition to the park. The theming in my opinion is very good for Thorpe Park. All the queue line props, the themed signs, the blood running down the stairs, and the general atmosphere around the ride - it's all much better than what Thorpe usually do. I just don't see why loads of people still moan when it's the best theming Thorpe Park have done in years, possibly ever.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
It's a bad thing though since it's the best theming Thorpe have had since Amity Cove isn't it?

Thing is if Merlin really WANT to be the best they need to give us the BEST quality they can, Disney have made amazing work with generally ordinary and possibly cheaper rides... So why don't Merlin do the same?

This is probably best to say in another topic, but a lot more could've been done to the ride, and if 'smaller' parks are able to give their rides 10x better theming than Saw alone, why can't the SECOND BEST company in the world give it the same level of theming? That's the issue more than anything... As I said though, this may be a better thing to talk about elsewhere...

And Martyn B, the way Thorpe is going now is of the amusement park, such as Cedar Point and the like, so the areas don't even exist anymore... Not properly like the old days anyway...

neo

Mega Poster
Saw - The Ride: Extreme Edition?

I’ve known about this possible upgrade/new attraction/experience since I looked at the UK Saw VI website earlier this month:

http://www.saw6movie.co.uk/

(Click on the Saw – The Ride link.)

I do suspect an Extreme Edition upgrade is all this is though. When riding it earlier this year I did spot potential areas for an upgrade to be implemented.

Such as with the Jigsaw puppet at the end of the ride; there is lighting specifically on this puppet, as if it should give a spiel. They already have the “Congratulations, you’re still alive. Most people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you, not anymore.” spiel playing in the area, but when I rode, I could only just hear this.

Perhaps an “upgrade” would see the puppet talk along with a louder spiel. It makes sense after all, the second car is already delayed for an intro spiel, and maybe this would see the first car delayed at the end for this spiel.

They could also turn up the body water fountain to hit riders (as was originally rumoured to be intended).

So those are two possible areas for improvement. It’s about the level of modification the films undergo for the DVD Extreme Edition anyway. I’d certainly enjoy those improvements in any case.

Jools

Giga Poster
I love SAW, I rode it 9 times yesterday, wtf is all this about headaches :?, anyway... I would like to see more in the dark section, personlly I find the air cannon bit quite boring, and the queue isn't what it could be, even with actors, and maybe some more fire and mist effects could be added.

jokerman

Giga Poster
There isn't enough queue to be able to do anything. And what there is gets ruined by some employee/ride op standing in there watching and controlling the queue.

Jools

Giga Poster
jokerman said:
There isn't enough queue to be able to do anything. And what there is gets ruined by some employee/ride op standing in there watching and controlling the queue.

Outside too I mean, there is loads of room there!

Ollie

CF Legend
neo said:
They could also turn up the body water fountain to hit riders (as was originally rumoured to be intended).
It does hit the riders sometimes. I've been caught by it a few times although the height of the water changes all the time for some reason or it only hits some people in certain seats. But yeah it would be good if it got everyone. It's a very weir sensation being sprayed with water while upside down.

Jools

Giga Poster
To be honest, the public care about the thrill more than the theming anyway, so I see where Merlina re coming from, they can really market there rides, as after all, that's what it's mainly about, Thorpe have had many oppurunities for this, some they have used, others they havn't because the public just aren't interested, but theming doesn't attract them, but with Disney, they have the advantage of being based around one of the biggest and most recognised brands in the world. (Other than McDonalds, knowing how sad htis world is now).

Martyn B

CF Legend
Thorpe could never be like a Disney park, no matter how much effort was put it in. It is, and always will be a 'Six Flags of England'. Which isn't always a bad thing.

Saw is disliked alot due to the ride type (Thats what I believe anyway). It could be the exact same layout, but as a Dive Machine, and everyone would love it.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Probably speed the lift hill up by a couple mph and call it Saw 1.5 or something.... Didn't the "improve" stealth after the first year too?

Ollie

CF Legend
It may not even be an upgrade of the coaster. Maybe a re-theme of a ride or a new small attraction.
Don't forget it says "get ready to turn up the terror as Jigsaw returns with a spine-chilling new SAW experience for 2010. " I've Highlighted the words that stand out to me. Notice they say it's a 'new' 'experience' so it may not even be a ride. Maybe some sort of walk-through or show.
Also wouldn't we have seen planning applications and stuff by now?

And are they still doing what they've got in these plans?
http://www.themeparks-uk.com/images/sto ... -Large.jpg

marc

CF Legend
Tbh all this is just to get people back on the ride next year, it's that simple.

Unless its a big update most people will not even notice the changes, and when I say big update I mean like Mission 1 to Mission 2.

I would change so much of the theming tbh. Infact I think they would be best to rip out every thing before the inside drop and them stupid air blower bits and redo both sections.

At least they are going to do something and the area will be better when they get than 2nd bridge built.

I have a feeling this is their last chance with the ride now.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Nic

Strata Poster
I can't be arsed to wade through this whole topic, sorry. So, I'm going going to make a rare coaster-related post and throw the vadge-view out there....

When I first rode this, I loved it. Yes, it may be beacuse of the hype, but who cares. I really enjoyed myself and couldn't wait to ride it again and again and again. surely that's why we all love coasters isn't it? Because we enjoy them? Although you'd be hard pushed to believe that from the way some of you lot moan all the bloody time.

I think the theming is good. I don't know what you all expected. As its been said earlier in the topic, the ride is all crammed inside the building, so they couldn't have had more of the queue indoors (this is assuming that they couldn't have made the building any bigger what with the constraints on reclaimed land, and tight planning controls etc) The first time Sara and I rode this, the queue scared the crap out of us. Remember, most of the GP won't go on it more than once, and won't know what's inside before they get there. Besides, look at the other rides that Thorpe have churned out in recent years... now try and tell me that the theming is crap.

The reason I have seriously gone off this ride is because it ****ing hurts! Most rides I can go on about 8 times in a row and still feel fine. The last few times I've been on Saw, I've had to have a half hour break after just one go because I've felt so crap. Even on the first day, with the added enthusiasm, I did 4 goes and had to have a lengthy break. The only problem I have with this ride... is the ride itself. I'm very excited by the prospect of the bottom of the drop being re-tracked, althoguh that is by no means the only painful bit.

In short, the only people I think have done badly in the making of this ride are Gerstlauer and whoever the contractors were that actually erected the ride. There's evidently a problem with the way the footers were aligned and/or the way the track was built. There were tons of teething problems at the start with the control systems and programming. This would suggest to me that it was not fully tested as much as they would've liked - was the build a rush job? Why were Gerstlauer not on site for a week or so after opening, as I understand this is usually standard practice with newly built coasters?

As for the apparent updates, I wouldn't hold your breath for being able to tell the difference, tbh. As we all know, Thorpe aren't exactly thorough when it comes to, well - anything. It'll prob be something like a new soundtrack in the ride area! The whole thing is to try and get people back next year, despite the fact that it doesn't look like there's going to be anything at all that's going to be genuinely new.

But anyway, as I say the only thing I care about is the track. If they sort that out properly and make the ride a smoother, and therefore less painful, experience, then I for one will be happy. (oh, and they need to scrap fastrack and make the SRQ a permenant feature!)

Right, vadge-rant over.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I'm very excited by the prospect of the bottom of the drop being re-tracked

What up with the bottom of the drop? Its a brand new coasters, yet I hear its as bad as the bottom of Big Dippers drops?

Rage & Speed dont have this problem, but the only problem I have with them, well Speed, is that I seem to get a head ache afgter a couple of rides, even though it ain't rough!