What's new

Runaway Mine Train, runs away again!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
"Allegedly" it's part of the recovery procedure for the ride. If it stalls, it can't power itself back to the station, so the engineers halve the train to get the engine back to the station. Then they drag the back end back and recouple it.

Allegedly ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
If you read the comments, several people are suggesting that the train stalled (whilst empty) but didn't separate of their own accord. The train was apparently separated later on by the engineering team so that it could be recovered more easily. A bit of a pain for Merlin, and probably quite embarrassing, but not something that would put riders at risk.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Hmm, I'm not sure I buy that engineer thing.. Why would they separate it towards the front and not dead in the middle? Doesn't make sense.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Because surely closer to the front (the three carriages in the first picture) is going to be easier/lighter to get around the rest of the circuit than 5 or 6 carriages?

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
The comments imply that it's something to do with how much of the train can make it back under its own power. That seems to make sense - if they can get part of the train back to the station, that makes the process of winching the remainder back to the station a bit easier.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Smithy said:
Because surely closer to the front (the three carriages in the first picture) is going to be easier/lighter to get around the rest of the circuit than 5 or 6 carriages?

So you're trying to tell me that they're gonna pull this through with their hands? lol

I'm not sure how many cars it has, but lets say 10.

Surely its easier to pull 5 and 5, than it is to pull 2 and 8... This is why I don't buy it. Trains aren't heavy to pull at all. I used to pull whole Vampire trains all the time. And even if they were to pull this through, they'd use a series of winches or a crane anyway.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
Smithy said:

So you're trying to tell me that they're gonna pull this through with their hands? lol

Yes, that's why I wrote ''They're gonna pull this through with their hands''.

Surely its easier to pull 5 and 5, than it is to pull 2 and 8... This is why I don't buy it. Trains aren't heavy to pull at all. I used to pull whole Vampire trains all the time. And even if they were to pull this through, they'd use a series of winches or a crane anyway.

And if it's not possible to pull 5 and 5, why must you automatically jump to 2 and 8? Why would they not pull 2 and 2 and 2 and 2 and 2?

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
It stalled when I was on it, back in May on the Smiler opening day (when it didn't actually open). Lost power, rolled back into the tunnel, then immediately fired up again and continued like nothing had happened. I don't really know if that bares any correlation to this, but it immediately sprung to mind.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Motor blew ('allegedly' ;)), if I recall these are usually situated at the front of the train...

Of course, pushing a train up a hill is very different to pushing Vampire's trains when on a slight downwards slope... Besides, if they only need the front part of the train, then that's all they need to remove... No point removing the entire thing if you don't need to...

Plus, they now have bonus theming in the Rapids tunnel!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Plus they probably did it by hand anyway as all the cranes and winches are permanently on call in X-Sector ;)

If the motor has gone, then it probably was quicker to just unhitch the front with the broken bit to work on. It will have required less heavy lifting kit to get it back to the station. Though what do they do to get the other carriages re-hitched?

Martyn B

CF Legend
Sorry to drag up a fairly old-ish topic, but perhaps they dismantled it like they do so it's easier to push the smaller train back to the station, repair it, then reverse it back to pick up the rest of the train....? Just an idea....