What's new

Rumor: Cedar Fair monthly memberships for unlimited access

killrnut

Roller Poster
Cedar Fair appears to be considering monthly membership options for unlimited park access, as an alternative to annual season passes.

I got sent a survey today from cedar point, because I'm a season pass holder, and one of the questions asked how appealing the idea of a "monthly membership" for unlimited park access sounds, as opposed to the current annual season pass format. With the monthly membership being a lower cost, and not expiring at the end of the season. I wish I would have screenshot this question, as now I can't get back to it. Apparently during months where your "home" park is closed, there would be other perks, possibly including discounts on meals at partner restaurants, discounts at movie theaters, early access to sporting event tickets, etc. One other detail was mentioned: Your membership would not expire for the first 12 months, so it sounds like you would have to pay for a year up front, but after the year is up, it's a per month cost for life, or until you cancel.

Sounds interesting. Anyone else heard anything similar?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Re: Rumor: Cedar Fair monthly memberships for unlimited acce

Six Flags is doing it too.
And most Orlando parks have been doing it. Busch,SeaWorld,Uni, even Disney have monthly plans.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

Cheaper? Sounds good to me! Kings Island here I come!

bmac

Giga Poster

CanobieFan said:

Hopped on this train the second it was announced, will likely do the same with Cedar Fair's parks.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

One way or the other, Cedar Fair will be more than happy to take my money.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

I would absolutely love if they implemented the idea. I'm away at college for the months of September and October so I'm currently paying for two months without being able to visit the park.

Ben

CF Legend

^Did you read the post? You don't pick your months, you just pay monthly.

killrnut

Roller Poster

CanobieFan said:
And most Orlando parks have been doing it. Busch,SeaWorld,Uni, even Disney have monthly plans.

Did not realize this. I just looked up the six flags plan. Unlimited access and parking to any SF park for 11.99 a month?? Hell yes I would take advantage of that. Just too bad I don't live near any SF parks, but I'm sure someday I'll get around to visiting a few.

therick311

Mega Poster

This seems like a bad deal, unless your home park is open year round.

I took a quick look at the Six Flags membership page, they require a 12 month commitment. So you will end up paying for it over the off season. I believe they also charge an activation/setup fee.

I normally decide on season passes (for any chain) based on my travel plans for the year. If I plan to go to more than one park in a chain, then a season pass is probably a good idea. Otherwise, I just look for other deals (hotel combo with tickets, etc.)

Now, if they throw in some additional deals like restaurant/hotel deals during the off season, they might have my interest.

killrnut

Roller Poster

therick311 said:
This seems like a bad deal, unless your home park is open year round.

Say you get a membership TODAY and can only go until CP closes for the season at the end of October. You'd be paying a monthly fee from November through April to ensure that come mid-May, you had unlimited admission and are ready to roll. For your typical american, Paying less than $15 a month is a hell of a lot easier than paying $160 all at once for a season pass, or even $45 at once for just a one day admission.

I think something like this could easily get more families into the park, as parents may feel they can't afford $160 or so in admission for a family of 4 for just ONE DAY, but can afford ~$60 today for the first month of 4 memberships and ~$60/month so their family can go all season.

therick311

Mega Poster

Well, since we don't have any clue what Cedar Fair might charge for this I am going to go back to the Six Flags example.

It actually will cost you more to get the membership for 12 months, then a season pass will cost. Also, you are not factoring in the activation fees. You could just as easily save the money yourself during the off-season and put that money toward a regular season pass.

Below are the costs of a season pass from Six Flags St. Louis, my home park. These do not include taxes. Also note that Six Flags doesn't publish what the activation fee is.

Regular Season Pass: $64.99
Regular Membership: $6.08 x 12 months = $72.96 + activation fee

Gold Season Pass: $104.99
Gold Membership: $9.42 x 12 months = $113.04 + activation fee

njn63

Mega Poster

^That's what I expected.

Just keeping the poor poor. If you can't manage to save money yourself you're going to have to pay someone to do it for you.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

SeaWorld Entertainment has had the EZpay program for almost 10 years. It comes out to the same price as a 1 year AP, and your rates are locked in. Basically you HAVE to pay for the first year, but then it goes to a month by month basis and if you choose to keep paying it will stay active.

When I worked in the Contact Center I personally saw accounts that had been active for a decade and people were paying about $80 for a 1 park pass.

At one point UO had a similar program, not sure if they still allow you to roll it over. I know Disney used to be a 1 and done, not sure if they have modified it.

I think it is a JOKE that they would charge more annually then what a Season Pass would cost initially. Unless it came with extra perks (free parking, ERT, coupon books, etc...)

njn63

Mega Poster

rtotheizzo17 said:
I think it is a JOKE that they would charge more annually then what a Season Pass would cost initially. Unless it came with extra perks (free parking, ERT, coupon books, etc...)
Why is that a joke? You think a company should deal with all the headaches of financing a minor purchase for no return?

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

njn63 said:
rtotheizzo17 said:
Why is that a joke? You think a company should deal with all the headaches of financing a minor purchase for no return?

Other major companies have offered the same product for years without charging extra, the line of thinking is, "if a family of four cant afford $280 upfront, we will break it into monthly payments to get them in the gate." There is a risk that the family will default, fradulently or otherwise, but that is the risk the parks are taking to try and increase revenue. It doesnt take much analytically thinking to see that these programs have brought Disney, UO, and SEA extra revenue otherwise the program would not exist. There is absolutely a return in a monthly payment plan, without things like application fees, or charging a higher premium. It allows more people to afford your product, which gets more in the gate, and more in park spending.

For the record, Six Flags has had monthly payment options on their annual passes going back 4 or 5 years, they never charged me an activation fee, and the pass came out to the same cost as a Season Pass.

So yes, I think it is a joke charging more for something and not offer any additional benefit. At least with a product like Flash Pass you are purchasing a value added product (cut the lines). I did a search of the membership website and didnt find one way or the other, but I am interested to see if they offer any sort of promise to not raise rates. The very slim ROI here would be years down the road if you were still paying todays prices (actually a little more), but the parks prices had increased.

therick311

Mega Poster

rtotheizzo17 said:
For the record, Six Flags has had monthly payment options on their annual passes going back 4 or 5 years, they never charged me an activation fee, and the pass came out to the same cost as a Season Pass.

I think you are confusing 2 different products here. The OP is talking about a membership, not a payment plan on a Season Pass. Cedar Fair already offers payment plans on Season Passes (make 6 easy payments of $XX). A membership has no expiration, you just keep getting charged until you tell them to stop. At which point, you will no longer have access to the park. This is much the same as something like a gym membership.

I used Six Flags as an example since they are a comparable competitor to Cedar Fair, and they are already doing what Cedar Fair is proposing. So, I think it's fair to assume the pricing structure will be similar to what Six Flags is offering. However, it is just speculation until we get hard numbers from Cedar Fair.

I don't think the Orlando parks are comparable for this type of service, since they are open year round, and most Cedar Fair parks are not.