What's new

Roy E. Disney Passes Away

Darren

Roller Poster
Roy E. Disney, nephew of Walt Disney, has died at the age of 79.

Disney passed away on Wednesday, Dec. 16, after a battle with cancer, a spokesman for Disney's company Shamrock Holdings told the Los Angeles Times.

Born in the 1930s, the younger Disney was a writer and producer for the family business and later influenced two investor revolts, one being against Michael Eisner. Disney's father, Roy O. Disney, and his Uncle Walt founded The Walt Disney Co. in the 1920s.

This is very sad news and my thoughts go out to his family. It's a great shame to see the loss of a Disney true legend.

Mark

Strata Poster
As this is a major theme park figure I will leave this topic open as apose to the Celebrity Death topic...

As I said in there...
I am genuinely shocked and saddened by this news. A terrible day for the Walt Disney company. A long standing fighter in keeping Disney in the vane in which his father and Uncle did he managed to return Disney to their true path.

My thoughts and condolonces go out to his family and friends...

Aww no, that's so sad.. Him and his brother were such iconic figures in the Disney industry obviously, and they both seemed like very nice people, so it's sad news indeed.

Thoughts to the family and friends, too :(

davidm

Strata Poster
^ just to correct you a bit Tay, this was Roy E not Roy O. Roy O was Walt's brother, Roy E was Roy O's son. Confusing enough huh!

But sad news really.

For anyone interested in the what Roy (E) was up to the last 20 years, I recommend the DisneyWar book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Disneywar-Kingd ... 743496000/) which includes a lot about Roy (E)'s leadership of the animation studios and the fight to oust Eisner.

nealbie

CF Legend
Despite the fact that he was the one that had Eisner in in the first place :p

He is the man to whom we credit the Renaissance, easily the best period for Disney. And it is a sad passing :(