What's new

Roller Coasters of the Future

A

Anonymous

There has been a countless amount of breakthroughs in roller coasters over the past 20 years, and we probably are nowhere near the end of the road. So, do you have any ideas for future roller coasters (and other rides)?

Type up some of your creative ideas in this forum thread below!

I came up with this idea: the FreeCoaster.

It would have lightweight trains with two 4-seat, floorless, "side-less" cars, with a safety gap of 10 feet. It would have light, flexible, pivoting arms made of thinned steel. The trains would travel on a cylindrical track, making for a smoother ride. It could travel backwards, forwards, leftwards, rightwards, and spinning.

Inversions? It could work due to the track form. When the train goes upside down, it would just turn itself right back to normal immediately due to the cylindrical track, no matter what, as long as it went through fast enough- it would even make tight, unbanked turns possible- the cars would just turn automatically!

Brookes

Giga Poster
Lying-down above the track

Like B&M flying trains but above the track and also with restraints above you. Haven't really thought about it that much so can't go into detail but it was an idea I had.

Error

Strata Poster
A better version of an elevator lift coaster.

Or even a do-it-yourself coaster kit (like how they have built your own tree houses)

Slash

Giga Poster
A coaster on a cylinder track that keeps inverting over and over again... only problem is what if u come back to the station... upside down... lol

ryan462

Hyper Poster
A stand-up vertical drop coaster...

Normal stnad up coaster lift hill but the first drop is vertical and has holding brakes at the top like oblivion. They wouldn't be as tall though due to the intensity.

Ollie

CF Legend
Seats in a hamster ball that run freely down track similar to Avalanche at Blackpool.

You heard it from me first. ;)

A

Anonymous

^ I have already done that, it's exactly what a Zorb is.

A

Anonymous

^^ That might not be a new 4D coaster design, but a new way of loading a Flyer train.
(Damn, I had that idea of loading a flyer train many years ago, I should have patented it...)

kimahri

CF Legend
robocoaster-harrypotter.jpg

That.

Lain

Giga Poster
I think at some point in the future, simulation technology will be so advanced, that the experiences created by roller coasters will be able to be recreated entirely, and those giant steel things will become obsolete.

Slash

Giga Poster
Mike said:
Lying-down above the track
So... Quite similar to a Vekoma Flying Dutchman?
http://www.rcdb.com/ig1089.htm?picture=14

A coaster on a cylinder track that keeps inverting over and over again
You mean something like this?:
http://www.rcdb.com/ig1179.htm?picture=1

Future, innovative coasters?
Hmmm... Pass. :p

err on my cylinder track thing i meant one tube thats it, not a heartline coaster. I know what i'm saying. I know what has been invented and what hasn't :wink:

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
kimahri said:

Those Robocoasters look ridiculous. They should die quickly.

I don't think Gimmicks are the way forward for coasters, what I do think the future holds is smoother, better designed versions of what we have.

It'll be the coaster layouts that'll define the future uniqueness I believe. Everyone will stop with the gimmicky coasters and concentrate on trying to get the worlds best coaster layout.

Slash

Giga Poster
Ben said:
^You however, clearly don't know what's ridiculous and what isn't.

Of course its ridiculous, i don't care I wouldn't want it to become reality, but you just know some douchebag from arrow or something will think it up.

Oh and Ben, are you ever nice? Or just compulsively sarcastic?