What's new

Roller coasters and health

Xpress

Strata Poster
I think one of the biggest issues is STAYING HYDRATED! You're walking all around the park, in the sun, you're sweating away every last ounce of water you've drunk, and when that happens, you start to run into issues, like graying out easier, or even blacking out on something as modest as Bizarro or Scream, something that features relatively modest forces compared to some of the other rides out there. Relatively easy to tell, you start to feel dizzy fairly easy, and sometimes get tunnel vision....

I try to drink about a gallon each day. You'd be amazed at how much better you feel when you're properly hydrated ;)

And that concludes your daily heath lesson. Class dismissed.

Hyde244 said:
You will most likely die in your old age from something not related to roller coasters. :roll:

Reminds me of that one guy in his 80's that set the world record for most rides on Xcelerator.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Martyn B said:
After riding Saw for the first time today, I can safely say that it cannot be good for your health. I have never been on a coaster where I have endured such pain, without banging my head at all, and its not even the same 'pain' as banging your head. I felt like I my head was about to implode.

I dont mind head banging coasters, but Saw, and whatever problem it has, is just on another level...

I have exactly the same issue with Speed to be honest; I found Saw fine. It's really odd that it's the only coaster that has ever caused me that kind of pain, but it doesn't to everyone.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I have issues with Speed too... haven't ridden it since 2006 but I'm pretty certain it wasn't bumpy like Saw, it was more to do with how intense it was. I always came off with my head burning, like I do with Top Scan's.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Xpress said:
I think one of the biggest issues is STAYING HYDRATED! You're walking all around the park, in the sun, you're sweating away every last ounce of water you've drunk, and when that happens, you start to run into issues, like graying out easier, or even blacking out on something as modest as Bizarro or Scream, something that features relatively modest forces compared to some of the other rides out there. Relatively easy to tell, you start to feel dizzy fairly easy, and sometimes get tunnel vision....

I try to drink about a gallon each day. You'd be amazed at how much better you feel when you're properly hydrated ;)

And that concludes your daily heath lesson. Class dismissed.

Which is why anyone who visits Cedar Point with me knows that I make the entire group drink water at every opportunity. :drinking:

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Only thing I could think of as far as coasters having any certain effect on health - adrenaline can get worked up on coasters, also potentially raising blood pressure? That's why they warn people ahead of time if they have things such as heart problems. Not sure though if that's close to the very reason behind that, as this is completely non-professional input, haha.

EDIT:
Hixee said:
FaceYourNemesis said:
dropthefloor93 said:
Think about the lives of Fighter Pilots or stunt pilots in the Air Force. Does that answer your question?

Sorry for being thick, but what does happen? I know about pilots blacking out from high g-forces and crashing, but....
He's saying that fighter pilots get put though forces that are far more intense on the body (sustained high g-force etc) and it has no negative effects on their health. Blacking out has become much less of an issue with the invention (and continued development) of G-suits. So if fighter pilots are alright with the forces they're put through, why should a coaster be a problem?

Obviously, this is stupid logic though.
Me said:
Whilst I do agree with the statement in some respects, don't forget that fighter pilots are highly trained, incredibly fit and healthy and a very select few. Within reason, anyone can just get on a coaster, so even though the forces are much higher on the pilot they're also much better equipped to deal with it.
^ Speaking of all that kind of stuff, as a side note I thought it'd be interesting to share what I read upon Googling, "Are near-death experiences real"? This is what I came across, if you're at all curious:

Experimental research

Science demands verifiable evidence which can be reproduced again and again under experimental situations. Dr. Jim Whinnery, of the National Warfare Institute, thought he was simply studying the effects of G forces on fighter pilots. He had no idea he would revolutionize the field of consciousness studies by providing experimental proof that NDEs are real.

The pilots were placed in huge centrifuges and spun at tremendous speeds. After they lost consciousness, after they went into seizures, after they lost all muscle tone, when the blood stopped flowing in their brains, only then would they suddenly have a return to conscious awareness. They had "dreamlets" as Dr. Whinnery calls them.

These dreamlets are similar to near-death experiences. They often involved a sense of separation from the physical body. A typical dreamlet involved a pilot leaving his physical body and traveling to a sandy beach, where he looked directly up at the sun. The pilot remarked that death is very pleasant.
Actual article/source it's found in: http://www.near-death.com/experiences/experts06.html