What's new

Roller Coaster Death in France

neo

Mega Poster
A Mother of two has died after falling from the Formule 1 roller coaster in Parc Saint Paul, France.

The Connexion said:
A MOTHER has been killed after being thrown from a roller-coaster at an amusement park near Beauvais.

The 35-year-old woman, from Aisne, had been with her partner at the Saint-Paul park with their two children when the adults went on the Coaster Formule 1 roller-coaster as the youngsters tried another ride with friends.

However, the woman’s partner said she had been uncomfortable once the car started and had raised herself in her seat to get comfortable but lost her balance on a bend and been thrown out. She fell about three metres to the ground.

The children, aged seven and eight, did not see the accident.

An investigation has been started by the gendarmerie who are checking whether the woman should have been allowed on the ride as she was said to weigh about 100kg – and there were restrictions on the size of people who could use the roller-coaster.

The park’s owners said both the ride operator and the woman’s partner heard the safety bar clicking into place but it was feared that the woman’s size meant she was not secured.

There were about 4,500 people in the park at the time.

Park boss Gilles Campion was given a four-month suspended jail sentence in 2005 after 11 people were hurt when a car on Coaster Formule 1 crashed into others that were stopped. The ride had only been open for a few weeks.

News article:

http://www.connexionfrance.com/news_art ... hp?id=1010

The RCDB listing for Formule 1:

http://www.rcdb.com/2664.htm

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Well looking at those restraints, and the outwards banking, I'm not surprised. It's Pax fault for not designing a sufficient enough restraining system.

tks

Strata Poster
So fat lady falls out of rollercoaster because she tried to stand up and "get comfortable". Well done.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This was closed when I went back in 2006, I believe it was for safety reasons.

Erm, nothing else to really add. It's a shame as always when a death occurs in the industry we all love, but regardless of all the health and safety bollocks you can throw at a ride, human error counts for a lot.

Slash

Giga Poster
Its quite sad really. I mean they shouldn't let people on if they're "pushing the limits" of the restraints.

But who's to blame? The woman for being a tad on the large side and being a credit whore, the ride op who let the fatty on or the manufacturer for not making it safe enough. Knowing legal systems today, it'll be the last one.

Oh well, teaches people. STOP CREDIT WHORING... and being overweight.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^What, how was she a credit whore? Just because she was riding without her kids. That coaster is nearly one of the biggest at Parc St Paul and her younger children were probably a bit scared to go on it too.

Its sad to hear of another accident especially a fatal one even if it did involve her standing up or raising the restraint. Some people just panic and don't take any notice of the safety signs.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Slash said:
Its quite sad really. I mean they shouldn't let people on if they're "pushing the limits" of the restraints.

But who's to blame? The woman for being a tad on the large side and being a credit whore, the ride op who let the fatty on or the manufacturer for not making it safe enough. Knowing legal systems today, it'll be the last one.

Oh well, teaches people. STOP CREDIT WHORING... and being overweight.

well - we can't really tesll from the information what actually caused the accident - if the restraint wasn't properly closed, then it's the ride ops fault, if she was trying to get out of the restraint, it's her fault.

Three meters? That's not really that high, but even though it may have been caused by her own stupidity, think of how traumatized her kids must be, poor things.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
OMG!

It's the coaster with the spring-loaded brakes!

Me and a buddy had a bet how long before this ride killed someone, but we got the REASON wrong!

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
rollermonkey said:
OMG!

It's the coaster with the spring-loaded brakes!

Me and a buddy had a bet how long before this ride killed someone, but we got the REASON wrong!

Spring Loaded brakes - what... the... hell?! :?

AeRo

Hyper Poster
I didn't think it was that bad ... but then I rode the Pax Drop Tower first :O

Now that WILL kill someone.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster