What's new

Rocket ride hangs on by a thread at Lunar Park - Russia

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
This is the kind of ride that gives me nightmares anyway (just watch my white knuckles on a Wave Swinger or the Flying Machines at Blackpool)...

So yeah, a ride cable snapped on a "rotating" rocket ride at Lunar Park, St. Petersburg...

Video!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSj9P-xJJ70[/youtube]

It's been a bad month for accidents, yadda yadda yadda... :p

Inverse

Hyper Poster
... I might cancel my park trip on Friday, wait till August, I don't like the sound of July so far.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No worries - corrected :)

Just looked at all the other rides I'm now never going on ;)

Nic

Strata Poster
Glad no one was hurt etc etc

Hahahaha, that company also make a ride similar to a Booster.... called a Vomatron! lol

marc

CF Legend
They also made the Bell ride at Hansa park and Star Flyers. Had never heard of them before this problem.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, Star Fliers have rapidly descended from "will ride once - just for the experience" to "bollocks to that!" :)

Nic

Strata Poster
Jake, Sue, Sara and I went on the Starflier at Plopsaland the other week. I've done some pretty extreme stuff in my time, but that was easily one of the most terrifying. Needless to say there was a hell of a lot of screaming and swearing from all 4 of us.

marc

CF Legend
^I was the same on that one as well, it was ok until we went over the trees and the wind started to blow. 1st and last one :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Eugh, I bet that was horrifying. Can you imagine when the cable snapped but the ride must have been rotating and swinging back and forth for a bit? And wondering if the other one was going to snap? ...Jesus Christ.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You do raise a brilliant point though Joey... It was held by a single cable.

I know it's hunting hard for a silver lining, but it does prove that if the cable is in good condition, a single one can hold the entire weight of the ride :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I would have thought each cable would be designed to hold at least 1.5 times the maximum weight of the capsule on their own. It was a maintenance issue (or something similar) that would have caused one to fail. I would have thought the other cable would have been plenty strong enough. That is, of course, assuming that the other cable was in good condition!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, anything that relies on the strength of quite flimsy looking cables always worries me. I know they're safe in their design, and that the cables are absolutely strong enough to bare the loads the rides are designed for, but they rely almost 100% on the maintenance from the parks who own them. Cables not checked/replaced regularly...

Ok, so that could be said for coasters, too really, but the "appearance" of danger in these kinds of rides actually does get to me. I was NOT a fan of the Star Flyer I tried last year.