What's new

Rides that still genuinely scare you...

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Its cool that some people are saying Oblivion, it means Wardley did his job right with that 90s masterpiece! Didn't particularly scare me on my first ride but it was fantastic at building tension and I love re riding for that floaty feeling of weightlessness. Call me a fanboy but I know I will always rate it the best dive machine even after riding stuff like Valvarn and Sheikra.

Just thought of something else that would scare the **** out of me now! Zac Spins. They are one of the worst Intamin products from what I've heard and riders put a lot of outward pressure on the restraints. For one 18 year old boy in Spain (I'm also an 18 yr old boy!), this proved too much, and everyone's worst coaster nightmare happened: he was ejected and died. (In fairness no one apart from investigators knows about other factors that caused this, perhaps he was very overweight and the restraint barely locked?)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ He WAS too big for the ride. This isn't unknown and has been clearly stated by the park during the investigation. It's not hidden knowledge.

One ride that scares me to the point where I almost refuse to ride them would be the Star Flyer rides. It's waaaay too open for my liking and I hate the way they freely spin. I nearly **** myself on the one at Martin's Fantasy Island which is tiny, so I don't know how I'd be on the bigger ones.

Actually, not dissimilar to the Star Flyer rides would be the ones on the Stratosphere. Way too open and way too high. I've been on them all twice each, but almost refused to do Insanity last time, which is clearly the worst one by far.

Drop towers would be another ride that scares me quite a bit. I can't think of any coasters that still scare me too much apart from maybe Dragster a tiny bit before the launch.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Didn't know about the 18 yr old at Terra Mitica being too big, none of the articles I read at the time mentioned it and I wondered if none would to be respectful or whatever. They stil look like pretty intense rides though

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
Jarrett said:
*Dragster still scares me a little before the launch but it isn't that bad.
*X2 left me genuinely scared when I rode it, just because of the face-first drop and how sketchy the whole thing feels
*Skyrush is probably the coaster that scared me the most. No matter how many times I rode it that day, I could never let go of the thought of that airtime snapping my legs in half and sending me flying across the park!

Kingda Ka is similar - but after two rollbacks I've learned that nothing is going to happen to me on that ride. Haven't been to Cedar Point - just not worth the drive for me. X2 is all the way on the other side of the Nation - again, with a new job, can't do it.

Now skyrush is an interesting one. Has anyone actually had a limb break from airtime hills? That would be an interesting subject to google sometime when I'm not working or with my Angel.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I actually rode that Zacspin at Terra Mitica about a week before it killed someone and didn't notice anything untoward, there was comments at the time about unauthorised repairs to the restraints or something by the park iirc?

Thinking about it I hate accelerators; the anticipation before the launch is a normal nervousness, I don't necessarily enjoy them, but I've seen that video of a cable snapping and tearing that lads legs to bits. Similar with drop towers, that poor lass who had her feet lopped off was enough to convince me not to bother even though deep down I know they're safe.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
In dry parks; nothing that I have done scares me, but I will always refuse to ride a Skycoaster.

I'm terrified by the "drop capsule" bodyslides at waterparks as well. I've done a few but the one at Jay Peak takes the cake. While it's an indoor waterpark you climb up to the top and look out a window to the mountains around you. It's beautiful and terrifying.

Edward M

Strata Poster
^ I agree. At amusement parks, I have certain anxieties about rides, but none outright scare me. However, I am genuinely scared of those huge drop waterslides and especially ones with drop capsules. I am fine with anything that has a tube, but big body slides tend to scare me.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I used to be terrified of those capsules, and I still am to an extent, but I conquered this thing, and I think I can do them all now!

aipkVzx.jpg

Yeah, the water turns white on this. White water slide. And the fact that airplanes go right over your head doesn't help either.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
See, drop box slides *looked* like they might be scary or something... but when I actually got to ride a few, I was underwhelmed. Its not this sudden free fall 'oh crap!' feeling... its more of a ... 'Oh, I'm already sliding down the slide' feeling.

mouse

Giga Poster
Oblivion, when looking down the drop it always feels like the car won't fit in the hole. That and Slammer are the first that come to mind.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Oblivion.
Stealth.
Drop Towers.
Anything with prolonged hangtime.
And I agree about the big body slides at waterparks, I won't go near them.

jay37415

Mega Poster
I am cool with any coaster.

The only ride that genuine scares me is the windseekers. Being that high with only a chain holding you is definitely a white knuckle for me.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Totally agree with all who have said Oblivion. I only recently got 'used' to it, it's SO intimidating. When I was a young teen, standing at the bottom of oblivion and looking up at it used to **** me up.

Also agree that the lift hill on Shambhala is pretty 'hurgh' inducing on the outer 'loner' seats.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I always find the Cedar Fair WindSeekers unsettling. There is just something about the notion of spinning 300 ft. up in the air with a loose lap bar that gives me the creeps.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I still get a moment of anxiety before a launch. Two Intamin accelerators grace my top ten, and it's almost certainly that little extra adrenaline that does it for me.

Dave

CF Legend
Oblivion, everything until you turn the corner and the track drops away, you can't see where it goes or where it leads too, the slow movement towards the drop. Then the slow movement, and creepingly slow hang and then plummet into a hole which does not look big enough for the train. Genius. Scares me everytime!

Also I hate heights, so The Revolution & The Big One at Blackpool scare me, I have to sit on the left side of the train on the Big One as freaks me out where there's no guardrail!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Yeah the Windseekers and Starflyers can actually be a little scary too (especially the tall Starflyers).

I'm kind of surprised that a lot of people said Oblivion. Is it the tunnel that makes it scarier? It's still not that tall (even though the drop is quite longer) and you pretty much know when your going to drop down; it's not like you're waiting at the very top of the drop tower not knowing when that's gonna fall. I didn't get front row either, but I don't think that would've changed much.