What's new

Rides that show potential to be insane but fall short?

Snoo

The Legend
Youngster Joey said:
Ethan said:
^ And your personal opinion is?

From the Skyrush thread

"It's a shame too.. the epicness of the ride was just overshadowed TOO much by the pain in my thighs.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to figure out ways to ride something to make it better. I guess thats why I didn't rank it up there like the rest of the guys on the trip."

That. The ride is still good, hence my 'Ride Potential' thread.. but not nearly as good as some others on the trip. As stated before.. it's a shame too.. because it's insane. I guess I'll have to go back when they fix the restraints.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Snoo said:
Youngster Joey said:
Ethan said:
^ And your personal opinion is?

From the Skyrush thread

"It's a shame too.. the epicness of the ride was just overshadowed TOO much by the pain in my thighs.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to figure out ways to ride something to make it better. I guess thats why I didn't rank it up there like the rest of the guys on the trip."

That. The ride is still good, hence my 'Ride Potential' thread.. but not nearly as good as some others on the trip. As stated before.. it's a shame too.. because it's insane. I guess I'll have to go back when they fix the restraints.

Hence why I posted your exact post from the Skyrush thread ;)

I'm just going to see what it's like when they fix the restraints. It will be in #1 discussions for most people I think.

dominoes

Mega Poster
Colossus. Such a fun coaster layout, but the roughness means that I really don't like it. If it was smoother it would be in the top five for me.

Bear

Roller Poster
I would have absolutely loved Saw if it wasn't so ridiculously painful. I found it a million times worse then even The Ultimate!

A slightly more obscure one, but The Bullet at Flamingoland was massively neutered when it was overhauled before opening there. It used to have a much more powerful launch, longer trains, a bit more track, and did two full runs every time! Curse you power-hungry Schwarzkopf ride!!

Bear

Roller Poster
dominoes said:
^I have never had that problem with Saw! I have never found it painfull. I really like it...

I used to give people a hard time who said it was rough, but the bottom of the main drop has become horrendous and you really have to brace for it! I think that one dodgy bit of track is duffing up the wheel clusters on the cars, because the rest of the ride is rough in a similar way moreso than it was last year!

Millennium Force and Intimidator 305 are the two that come to mind. So daunting, but they just don't do anything after the first drop and turn/overbank. I disagree with Snoo as far as Skyrush is concerned though... I thought it was great, despite the crappy restraints!

kimahri

CF Legend
I disagree with I305. It does the opposite, It's just too much. I rode at the begining of the day so I don't know what it's like later in the day but that first coner after the drop made me lose vision every single time and then give me an ear ache before giving me about a 5th of a second relief before doing it again and then snapping and once again going through unenjoyable forces until the trim and then it was actually fun for about 5 seconds before it hit the breaks.

Skyrush on the other hand balanced the forces out so you had sustain positives for an appropriate amount of time and then throwing you out and letting the blood flow back and not coagulate in your feet all while being ever so mildly inconvenienced by the restraints.

Jerry, show me the reverse POV of Skyrush telling me to listen out for the guy screaming out in pain for his legs on the break run. On second watch, It's some guy taking hte piss out of his friend before the ride gets over the lift hill. he stapled him self, it was his own fault. It's not that bad.

I305 is **** though. I rate it my second worst coaster above Velocity.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Skyrush?

You trippin.
I thought the opposite, (and others seemed to echo this sentiment) it looks cool but not that epic, then after you ride it you're like "HOLY S**T! I didn't expect that"
It runs so much faster than it seems and there is no way anyone expected that amount of airtime. It may be the most intense I've ever felt (which leads into the complaint...)

You obviously reference the restraints (Skyrush) or a trim (I 305) and I've never been on I 305 but cmon, was Skyrush so bad? My thighs hurt for like 30 seconds (probably not even that long) and it was such an epic ride. A little bit of, brief, thigh soreness is gunna ruin it?
Besides not so much the restraint but the- 2 G airtime. What do you expect?

Don't listen Ethan, Skyrush is great. Remember, a lot of people also hate wooden coasters because "aaahhh they hurt" ; )

Anywho, for me it's Fahrenheit. It's this maze of twisted steel and looks so sick but I was pretty let down by the ride.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Also, not to derail but I don't want to make a thread for this:
Anyone who has ridden I305, is the ride really a let down?

I get the trim...but it's been removed. I know the turn is less intense than it was, but is the change really that big a deal?

As for Mean Streak...I can half agree. I've been on it 3 times. Once was a bit dull, once was fun but not as epic as it seems, another time it was fast as hell. Maybe it depends on factors as well as how well it's been re-tracked? I will admit though, in general it's not AS great as it's grandiose size and structure would make it seem.

Snoo

The Legend
1. Skyrush left my legs in pain.. like not "woody getting rough" pain but "Ow.. what the ****" pain. It might be because my legs are rather large, but it really did detract from what was otherwise an incredible experience.

And to say I don't like pain would be a lie as I do love me some Voyage.. BEFORE the retrack.. which hurt like a slut but in a good way.. but that pain wasn't focused on 3 square inches of your thighs either.

It would be like getting slapped with an open hand compared to punched with just knuckles.

2. 305.. when they trimmed the drop.. it was meh. When they trimmed that airtime hill.. it was less. It kinda takes away from the rest of the ride but not NEARLY as much as that first drop trim did. Riding it at night though really made it completely sexy.

Of course, thats not saying its bad by any means. It's in my top 20.. but it does fall short.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Fair enough, I guess it could depend on the body, though I do have pretty solid legs. It just didn't last more than a few seconds for me. But yeah, if someone had that much pain I guess it could detract.

Well wait, just so I'm clear they HAVE removed the trim from the first drop correct? That's why I'm confused that people still gripe about it. I thought they were gone now?

Snoo

The Legend
The trims are back on the original airtime hill below the drop that they were before. It's a shame too because it REALLY doesn't need it.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
The problem with getting too much info from Wiki...they didn't mention that. Hell, I didn't know there were other trims! I thought it was just the first drop.
That is a shame.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Wow that sucks. Yeah, what is the point?
I know the first turn was causing blackouts/excessive tire wear but why on that hill?
Maybe the airtime was too intense? IDK never rode it, and seems like if I ever do it's going to be a tamer version :( Shame I can never ride the original 6 G blackout inducing, unfettered airtime I305

Also speed: 90 mph? Even with the trims removed from the hill? Could've sworn it was faster (like 94?), was that always the top speed?

madhjsp

Giga Poster
The trim that Marcus is referring to was put on I305 last season, after the massive trim on the first drop was removed. However, it wasn't grabbing nearly as hard last season as it is this year. They've obviously juiced it up some over the offseason, and it is somewhat disappointing. The first part of the ride is still epic, but it doesn't finish on the high note that it used to.

andrus

Giga Poster
I don't think that neither Skyrush nor I305 "fall short". They're actually my new #1 and #2 rides! :--D Sure, the first ride on Skyrush did hurt as hell. But during the ERT i learned not to hold my hands up in the air but rather hold on to the restraints, and it wasn't painful anyomore :) I305 is furiously fast before the trim :eek: After the trim it's just standard B&M pace.. But that insane first half more than makes up for slower ending imo! But it's all down to personal preferences of course :)

furie said:
Balder. It constantly promises to be fantastic, but just ruins it every time. It's the Thorpe Park of rides - promises so much but every time you're about to have fun, it's cut short and ruined.
Totally agreed! Soo many airtime hills yet so little airtime :/ I get dissapointed everytime I ride even though I've been on it countless times already..