What's new

Rides that don't feel safe

zazobo

Hyper Poster
That Rio Bravo thing at Parque Warner. The backwards drop is bloody terrifying. You're not expecting it so you're not bracing for it in any way and it felt like I was half out of the boat. My arse full left the seat and I don't recall there being a lap bar? I could be wrong...

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
Twister II at Elitch Gardens. That thing was wobbling like it was made out of popsicle sticks and the trains shuffled massively through the entire layout. Still can’t believe I voluntarily got on that hunk of junk.
I second this one. I didn't realize how much the structure moved until I was off it and my friend pointed it out. :oops:

oriolat2

Giga Poster
That Rio Bravo thing at Parque Warner. The backwards drop is bloody terrifying. You're not expecting it so you're not bracing for it in any way and it felt like I was half out of the boat. My arse full left the seat and I don't recall there being a lap bar? I could be wrong...
The backwards hump has been reprofiled this season to avoid that jolt of airtime. That was part of the reason why the last row of each log was roped off: apparently, after the reprofiling, all 4 rows in each log will be available increasing the ride's capacity.

As for me, the only ride which felt unsafe was Wild Mouse at BPB.

catsounds

Mega Poster
The Smiler. Still don't trust it tbh. Every time I go on it I still look over my shoulder on the first lift to see if there's any stalled cars ahead.
Despite being an enthusiast and knowing this won't happen again, I also am guilty of this

Indy

Hyper Poster
I'm going to caveat this by saying that I've been on rides that did not feel safe and that's because they weren't/aren't. That said, one of the rides that scare the daylights out of me because it feels unsafe even though I know that it is safe is...

Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom - There is something incredibly unsettling about being 400ft in the air and feeling the vehicle shake. I know that deflection is normal and often a completely expected and safe event, but even as a structural engineer, it freaks me out.

Any Star Flyer. It's those chains, man. They just look too thin.
Also this. I hate 'em. Scare me to death and they are the only ride that my wife insists on riding anytime we come upon one. Pretty sure it is out of spite.

• Double Helix on Beast - I’m sure the tunnel passes the hand touch test… probably

Edward M

Strata Poster
I remember back in 2017 I ventured to this incredibly janky park in Panama City called Cobra Adventure Park for a +1. After a cred rejection, I bought a ticket for their slingshot since A. I'd never done one, B. didn't want to waste a trip and C. it was surprisingly cheap. One cursory glance at it, and you can see why. The entire vehicle and structure looked to be in shambles. What freaked me out most were the cables, frayed well beyond what I'd expect to be safe. Still, I'm sure the park can't operate an unsafe ride, right? Lo and behold, two years later...

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
I remember back in 2017 I ventured to this incredibly janky park in Panama City called Cobra Adventure Park for a +1. After a cred rejection, I bought a ticket for their slingshot since A. I'd never done one, B. didn't want to waste a trip and C. it was surprisingly cheap. One cursory glance at it, and you can see why. The entire vehicle and structure looked to be in shambles. What freaked me out most were the cables, frayed well beyond what I'd expect to be safe. Still, I'm sure the park can't operate an unsafe ride, right? Lo and behold, two years later...

F*** rides that look unsafe, those bungee cable slingshots really are! They’re all hitting their service lives and they’re all snapping. You’ll never catch me on anything powered by a glorified rubber band.

That being said, the spring-powered versions are awesome.

Boodangy

Mega Poster
Anybody who's ridden a Maurer skyloop knows what's up. The lap bar doesn't press down on any part of your body as much as just sorta lays over your lower body so that vertical ascent to turning over upside down that high up off the ground... 120m tall starflyers are nothing, but Skyloops still scare the hell out of me.

TheTalbotHound

Roller Poster
The Zamperla Giant Discovery at BonBon Land. At the peak of each swing, the restraint would flop around between the two locking points. Probably just a quirk of these particular restraints, but in the moment it felt so weird.

Tour Descente at Parc Saint Paul. PAX drop tower from 2004. The structure looks very thin, especially compared to other drop towers. And it definitely looks like it's seen better days.

hersheyfan410

Roller Poster
The Zamperla Giant Discovery at BonBon Land. At the peak of each swing, the restraint would flop around between the two locking points. Probably just a quirk of these particular restraints, but in the moment it felt so weird.

Tour Descente at Parc Saint Paul. PAX drop tower from 2004. The structure looks very thin, especially compared to other drop towers. And it definitely looks like it's seen better days.
I felt the same way about the ratcheting restraints on Hershey's triple tower. The OTS harness was really loose and looked to be in rough shape which was concerning for a ride that was only a few seasons old at the time. Not complaining though, as it adds a little edge to the mostly tame ride.

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
Most large sketchy rides at carnivals, these make me incredibly uncomfortable because they have to be assembled and unassembled in small periods of time. I still go with them though.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I've never been on a Star Flyer, and never will. So while I can't answer if it feels safe or not, they don't look safe to me.

Volare's make me fear for my safety, like physical safety, being in that contraption feels horrid.

cookie

Giga Poster
Radja River at Walibi Belgium, easily. I don’t know if it’s due to a lack of padding or whatnot, but you experience some violent jolts every time a boat hits a corner, and it sends half the people in the raft flying. Even witnessed a girl completely lose her balance and land with her body sticking out the side once. Surprised there hasn’t been a more serious incident on it given how accident-prone river rapids rides are.

misstech

Roller Poster
Sandman's shout in the opening post about that shonky tree-tower thing at Tripsdrill is a good one. Genuinely unnerving stuff.

Any Star Flyer. It's those chains, man. They just look too thin.

Blackpool's Wild Mouse. Rickety as f***. Good riddance. Actually, all of Blackpool's woodies look and feel like they could just collapse at any moment. Me no likey.

The Smiler. Still don't trust it tbh. Every time I go on it I still look over my shoulder on the first lift to see if there's any stalled cars ahead.

And although I haven't ridden one (and have no intention of doing so), the mere concept of a tilt coaster I find fundamentally unsafe. I mean... why would you even design such a thing?

I went on the tilt coaster at the top of the Strat in Vegas and honestly thought I was about to die

7dd5dfd12e7e2426de4a3e6ae94c5120.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marsden10002

Roller Poster
I must admit, the last ride I had on Speed at Oakwood was somewhat disconcerting... it went up the vertical lift hill very slowly, and it creaked a lot as it went over the top. It was creaking so much and going so slowly that it almost felt like it wasn't going to make it over...

Now I know full well that Speed is 100% safe, but I must admit that it gave off a somewhat disconcerting impression...
Felt like I was going to be internally decapitated on that ride. Literally every jolt is so violent

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
Wild Mouse at BPB (RIP)
The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley (RIP)
Having seen the recent accidents, most Schwarzkopf looping rides do put me on edge now.

JackFish

Mega Poster
Even though I know it is safe, I find myself looking out of the corner of my eye when I was on the Smiler. Just to double-check.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
Even though I know it is safe, I find myself looking out of the corner of my eye when I was on the Smiler. Just to double-check.
I know what you mean. Does make me on edge approaching that point where it stalls and where the accident happened.