What's new

Rides at Your Local Park You Always Try to Ride?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Inspired by @nadroJ 's recent topic, I started thinking - there's rides I always skip / avoid at parks I go to a lot, but are there rides are always do my best to go on?

For me with Thorpe Park, there's no major ride which I always try to squeeze in regardless. In part because some days the major rides can get extremely long queues, in part because there's nothing that I really feel I have to do every time. But I always like to get a ride in on at least one of Depth Charge or Rumba Rapids. Rubbish little water rides yes, but strong nostalgia factor for me, plus they're the more fun or relaxing type of rides which Thorpe have very few of.

So nice and simple - which rides at your local park(s) do you always try to ride every visit, major or otherwise?

Matt N

CF Legend
In terms of my ride I always try to do at Alton Towers, I’d have to say Wicker Man. It’s my favourite ride on park, and I’ve done it on every single visit it’s been open on since it first opened in 2018!

It’s the only ride that I’ve done on every visit to the park when it’s actually been operating, and I do always make an effort to squeeze it in. I’m not sure I’d be able to say that for any of Towers’ other major coasters, although the likes of Oblivion & Nemesis are also ones that I try to hit on most visits as well.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
lol, what happens when you kinda hate the park that is technically your home park (based off distance and not number of visits?)
USF, gotta always ride Mummy, but really that's it. If I went with IOA I'd say Hulk and now VC

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Twisted Timbers, at least once in both front and back. Grizzly cause it’s there and never has a wait. Intimidator 305 in the front is a must as well. That’s about it for KD honestly. I don’t really feel the need to do Dominator or Racer.

Once Tumbili opens, it’ll probably join the list of “must-do’s” just because of the inherent variation in the ride cycle.

Skyye

Mega Poster
If i go to st. Louis? Mr Freeze and American thunder for sure
If I go to Chicago? Maxx force, goliath, and raging bull

Heth

Mega Poster
I'll ignore the obvious ones which I have to do at Thorpe Park (Nemesis Inferno, The Swarm, Stealth) and say that I love The Walking Dead The Ride and try to ride ot every time.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Kings Island: Mystic Timbers, Orion, Diamondback, in that order.

I could have a great day just lapping those 3 things. I usually do most of the coasters at least once a season, but start skipping them on return visits.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Kings Island: Mystic Timbers, Orion, Diamondback, in that order.

I could have a great day just lapping those 3 things. I usually do most of the coasters at least once a season, but start skipping them on return visits.
Come now - let's not also forget Beast!

For Cedar Point, it's a general combo of (in this ride order):
- Steel Vengeance
- Maverick
- MF/TTD
- Magnum
- A Potpourri of B&Ms (Valravn, Raptor, Rougarou, Gatekeeper)

Riding majority, if not all, of these often signals a good day at Cedar Point.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Come now - let's not also forget Beast!

For Cedar Point, it's a general combo of (in this ride order):
- Steel Vengeance
- Maverick
- MF/TTD
- Magnum
- A Potpourri of B&Ms (Valravn, Raptor, Rougarou, Gatekeeper)

Riding majority, if not all, of these often signals a good day at Cedar Point.
See I think the Beast is fine, and I'll ride it if the queue is short, but my rides this year have mostly been just ok. I'll skip it if the queue is more than 15-20 minutes.

I agree with your Cedar Point list. Who doesn't love a Potpourri of B&Ms? I usually try to hit up Gemini as well, but won't be devastated if I have to miss it.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Aheeeeeem

I'm gonna put this into two categories actually, because there are basically 5 rides that, if missed, would make my day feel unsuccessful or incomplete (in order).
  1. El Toro
  2. Jersey Devil Coaster
  3. Kingda Ka
  4. Justice League: Battle for Metropolis
  5. Nitro
Then, there are 5 that I do try to ride each visit but, for whatever reason, I don't always get to ride. It may be placement, wait time, or some other element. (in order)
  1. Houdini's Great Escape
  2. Batman: the Ride
  3. Bizarro
  4. Sky Ride (odd choice, but it's always pleasant and a very efficient use of transportation)
  5. Skull Mountain
The rest I could give or take depending on the visit. Still, I decided to look up all the rides in the park to be sure I didn't miss anything, and I was surprised to see Zumanjaro. I had completely forgotten it in the original forum post that even existed, which is emblematic of how little I tend to ride it. That's for one simple reason: the mile trek there and back. Such a hassle.

cookie

Giga Poster
If we go by the parks I visit the most, I can't leave Liseberg without going on:
  • Balder (it may be closed when I go next week, but at least I'm prepared for it)
  • Helix
  • Valkyria
  • Lisebergbanan
  • FlumeRide
  • Atmosfear (will be closed next week due to them putting up a scare maze in the queue)
  • Uppswinget
  • Loke
So basically all the major coasters, flats without excessive spinning, and any log flumes available.

As another example, Hansa-Park I can't go a day now without:
  • Schwur des Kärnan
  • Fluch von Novgorod
  • Nessie
  • Crazy Mine
  • Wildwasserbahn
  • SuperSplash
  • Highlander
  • Barracuda Slide

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I'm a sucker for a crappy dark ride, so I'll always do the one at joyland in great yarmouth (along with spook express and the snails!), and then on to the snails at the pleasure beach.

I miss gold mine at blackpool..

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
I don't actually live close to a park, but the parks that I visit on a frequent basis are Six Flags Over Georgia (2 hours) and Carowinds (3 hours).

Six Flags
  • Twisted Cyclone
  • Goliath
  • Blue Hawk
Carowinds
  • Fury 325
  • Copperhead Strike
  • Intimidator

el325greatcalvin

Roller Poster
Six flags great adventure
1. el toro back row
2. nitro
3 jersey devil
i always skip green lantern as it hurts my legs too much

At hershey park
1. skyrush
2. storm runner
3 farenheit
4 candymonuim

Aheeeeeem

I'm gonna put this into two categories actually, because there are basically 5 rides that, if missed, would make my day feel unsuccessful or incomplete (in order).
  1. El Toro
  2. Jersey Devil Coaster
  3. Kingda Ka
  4. Justice League: Battle for Metropolis
  5. Nitro
Then, there are 5 that I do try to ride each visit but, for whatever reason, I don't always get to ride. It may be placement, wait time, or some other element. (in order)
  1. Houdini's Great Escape
  2. Batman: the Ride
  3. Bizarro
  4. Sky Ride (odd choice, but it's always pleasant and a very efficient use of transportation)
  5. Skull Mountain
The rest I could give or take depending on the visit. Still, I decided to look up all the rides in the park to be sure I didn't miss anything, and I was surprised to see Zumanjaro. I had completely forgotten it in the original forum post that even existed, which is emblematic of how little I tend to ride it. That's for one simple reason: the mile trek there and back. Such a hassle.
I don’t think i’ve ever done the sky ride at great adventure as it always seems to have a 35 minutes long line when i go when toro is only 15 or 20. Houdini’s great escape is one of my favorite flat ride? I don’t really know what to call it.

hyde666

Roller Poster
I always seem to go on Nitro a tons at SFGADV. Same with El Toro, but it's been closed, so now I got more rides on Nitro than any other coaster I've been on.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
SFOG fan, my personal must dos:

Goliath
Blue Hawk
Mind Bender
Batman
Supes: Ultimate Flight

I also go out of my way to Battle of Metropolis. Great ride.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Blackpool, twenty minute drive outside the rush hour.
Icon, because it is my retirement coaster, and I'm getting some practice in.
Mme Crevettes excellent seafood emporium and bar, for brief refreshment and coaster small talk.
Then Dodgems, nothing like beating up a few random strangers after a beer or two.
The other rides don't really matter once the essentials are done.
And as a complete loafer, I have a doctor's note allowing me to skip work in the afternoons when my arthritis plays up.
Which is often, off peak.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
SFOG fan, my personal must dos:

Goliath
Blue Hawk
Mind Bender
Batman
Supes: Ultimate Flight

I also go out of my way to Battle of Metropolis. Great ride.
Interesting that you left out what some consider the best ride at the park. Not questioning your tastes, but I’m interested to know why Twisted Cyclone isn’t on the list.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Interesting that you left out what some consider the best ride at the park. Not questioning your tastes, but I’m interested to know why Twisted Cyclone isn’t on the list.
The line and one train ops on weekdays. Can be a 45min+ wait. Love the ride, but it's just too short for that line.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
At Thorpe Park generally my always-dos tend to be Saw, Rush, Samurai and Depth Charge. Saw is my favourite ride in the park and Depth Charge is a great ride to fall back on when every other ride in the park has an unholy queue. Storm in a Tea Cup used to be in there too but when I struggled to get a decent spin two rides in a row I stopped doing it - too bad because if you do get a spin, it's ridiculously fun.