What's new

Rhyl Sky Tower to Close for Good?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've just seen on the local TV news here that the observation tower in glorious Rhyl is looking likely to close for good. It's been there since 1993, the lease is almost up for the company that run it, and it's been left in such a state that it will take £400,000 to repair it properly.

BBC said:
8 April 2011 Last updated at 11:14

The future of Rhyl's landmark Skytower is in doubt after a safety report found £400,000 of repairs are needed.

The company which runs the tourist attraction on behalf of Denbighshire council asked for the report after coming to the end of its 10-year lease.

It found that the "weather has taken its toll" on the rotating observation tower which stands on the seafront.

It remains closed as Denbighshire council consider "viable" options.

While the structure "has not been condemned", it does need investment, according to Denbighshire councillor Glyn Williams, chair of Clwyd Leisure which runs the attraction.

The tower which stands 73m (240ft) on the promenade next to the Apollo cinema was last used at the end of the 2010 summer season.

The cinema is now closed as part of a £1.2m redevelopment which includes an outdoor screen.

"They don't want something next door that is unkempt," said Mr Williams.

Bethan Jones, Denbighshire council corporate director for business transformation and regeneration, said the tower's future was, as yet, undecided due to the costs involved.

"In view of this, the developments at the Apollo and the discussions on the future direction of the leisure offer in Rhyl as part of the town's regeneration, we are unable at this stage to determine the best way forward for the Skytower.

"Unfortunately the elements have played their part in the deterioration of the structure and given the sums of money involved, and the current difficulty in accessing public sector funding, we do need to take an overall view on how we will be able to sustain and develop the leisure attractions on offer in Rhyl."

The tower, which charges £2 a ride, was brought to Rhyl from Glasgow in 1993.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-13012757

When I was there last year it was running, but not rotating. That makes sense now; there's no way the operators would spend money on it if they new they were coming up to the end of their lease.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Gutted... One of my favourite rides at one of my favourite, clean and tidy seaside resorts...

Or maybe the opposite of that statement. Every time I hear anything from Rhyl, I just have to shake my head in despair.

I have been on it, it's a great way to spot people worth mugging...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I always enjoyed the views over the shells of burnt-out cars personally.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
And where will the paedophiles take their pictures of half naked kids in the "paddling pool" from now? Won't somebody please think of the kiddy fiddlers???

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
I used to try and spot how many little brats were going to drown, as their chav parents stood there drinking, and ignoring their spawn.

I liked the smell of rats, and old beer on board, I'll admit now that I used to be **** scared of this ride, especially when it creaked, and then vibrated ominously, felt like the floor was going to drop from underneath your feet.

You never know however, they may refurb it into some sort of thrll ride, or just improve it altogether .

Jake

Strata Poster
Reminds me of the Polo Tower in Morcambe. Apparently they can't rip it down because it's listed?! It's been closed for years, since Frontierland got spited.
2230417929_807f69ebe2.jpg

These towers are SO RCT <3.

Lofty

CF Legend
Rhyl just needs to be nuked. It's such a vile little seaside town. The only thing it's got going for it is the Sun Centre, and that's ****ing **** too!

nadroJ

CF Legend
Jake said:
Reminds me of the Polo Tower in Morcambe. Apparently they can't rip it down because it's listed?! It's been closed for years, since Frontierland got spited.
2230417929_807f69ebe2.jpg

These towers are SO RCT <3.

I definitely went to Frontierland, omg.

Rhyl is an awful place, I had my first Subway there. The End.

Emmett

Giga Poster
I was always afraid to go up it seeing as it was in such a state so its no great loss to the area. They need to demolish the whole seafront area there as its such a disaster. You cant even see the sea with the village thing in the way.