What's new

Regina at Tobu Zoo to be revived

In some related but non Regina news.
The park has given a fresh coat of glittery paint to the trains on their Mega-Lite (Unfortunatly not to the track or supports themselves)
We now have a sparkly green and a sparkly blue train.

Exciting news! Thinking about checking this spot out in march when I travel to Japan for the first time. I have heard that the zoo itself is pretty run down and entry to the park is a little expensive. For anyone that has visited.. is it worth the price and train ride to / from Tokyo?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Exciting news! Thinking about checking this spot out in march when I travel to Japan for the first time. I have heard that the zoo itself is pretty run down and entry to the park is a little expensive. For anyone that has visited.. is it worth the price and train ride to / from Tokyo?
It's worth it if you haven't ridden an Intamin mega-lite before. It's been a long time since I went, but the zoo was awful and yes, it was expensive considering there's not much there.

In terms of time needed, you'll be pushed to fill a couple of hours, so should look at doing another park on the same day. Even though they're not exactly close, I paired it with Yomiuriland.

It's worth it if you haven't ridden an Intamin mega-lite before. It's been a long time since I went, but the zoo was awful and yes, it was expensive considering there's not much there.

In terms of time needed, you'll be pushed to fill a couple of hours, so should look at doing another park on the same day. Even though they're not exactly close, I paired it with Yomiuriland.
Hey! Thanks so much for the info! Yeah I think I want to go and check it out even more so if Regina is re-opened by then! Good idea with pairing it with Yomiuriland... definitely gotta get on Bandit and I want to try the Ramen Noodle rapids ride! Cheers!

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Press release out of Tobu Zoo with some information on the new GCI train (translated);
Spring 2023 Water Wooden Coaster Regina Restart

Enter the nostalgic yet new steampunk world
Water wooden coaster Regina opened on March 18, 2000 as the world's first wooden water coaster at the time, and has been loved by many customers. As a result, the business was closed at the end of the inspection period.
The reaction of customers to the sudden closure of the business was extremely strong, and many voices of regret and gratitude for the closure, as well as wishes for a revival, were received on social media. In order to meet this expectation and revitalize the amusement park, we have been proceeding with the Regina renewal plan that utilizes the existing track since the end of business.
For the renewal, the theme of the area will be "Steampunk*1," a world view derived from the keywords "revival" and "development," and new vehicles will be introduced, safety will be enhanced, and the exterior will be decorated.
The new car will carry 24 passengers (1 train: 2 people x 12 cars), and compared to the previous car (1 train: 4 people x 7 cars), there will be more joints and smoother running will be possible. In addition, an automatic gate is installed on the platform to welcome customers safely and guide them smoothly.
In addition, Regina's charm, such as the thrill and speed of running through the wooden structure, will not change, and you can enjoy the steampunk world that feels nostalgic and new.
Please look forward to the new Regina, which will start running again in the spring of 2023.
*1 Steampunk is said to be a worldview that combines the elements of SF (science fiction, a generic term for fiction based on scientific fantasies) with British industrial design during the Industrial Revolution.

[New information] New name decision!

This time, Regina will be renewed with a new view of the world, but the name has been decided as "Water Wooden Coaster Regina II (Due)". Maintaining and inheriting the long-loved “Regina” (meaning “Queen” in Italian), as the second generation Regina, adding “II” (meaning 2 in Italian and pronounced “Due”). I will continue to be loved and loved from now on.
Currently, preparations are underway for the opening, but the new vehicle that was being produced by the American roller coaster manufacturer GCI has finally been completed and preparations for departure have begun. It is scheduled to depart the United States in mid-December and arrive at Tobu Zoological Park in mid-January after a month-long voyage. GCI's vehicles are often used overseas, but this park will be the first in Japan.
In addition, we would like many customers to know about the revival of Regina and the new name. created a new illustration of the mascot character "Toppy" riding a roller coaster.
Please look forward to the “Water Wooden Coaster Regina II (Due)” that will start running again in the spring of 2023.
______.jpg

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
So, new trains on the same piece of **** coaster? Wonderful.

nice to see a woodie survive once in awhile! I had heard that Regina had gotten pretty rough towards the end of 2019 so hopefully the new trains help. I might actually have to visit in April while in Tokyo. This and an Intamin Megalite will do nicely!