What's new

RCT3 | BBH's Simple Coaster Challenge - VOTING!

BBH

Giga Poster
As the RCT3 junkies we are, we all (subtract me) hate in-game supports and stations. Which is why we heavily lag the games with loads of custom scenery, supports, etc. I, however, am not one to use custom scenery when I don't have to, which is why this competition is to be done WITHOUT ANY CUSTOM SCENERY, INCLUDING SUPPORTS AND STATION PIECES, WHATSOEVER!

I will be judging you on the following, based largely upon the scale used for portemine's Contest:

25/75 - Realism - Style of manufacturer, smoothness, g-forces and brake run/brakes, placement of entrances/exits
25/75 - Layout - Uniqueness, pace, elements, g-forces, airtime, smoothness
25/75 - Park Overall - Terraining, terraforming, presentation, surrounding rides and queue work (surrounding area only required as per suggestions)

Voting will be 50% my opinion and 50% public vote.

Rules:

*No custom scenery is allowed. At all. Don't do it.
*CTR and CFR's may be used but no CT.
*Trains must be single- or two-car trains. No exceptions. Don't try a full train.
*Low friction may be turned on.
*No height, speed or length limits.
*A station building of some sort with the in-game walls may be included for a 15% increase in score.

I want to see what you people can do with the in-game tools and see if you can survive without clicking Steel Jungle. ;)

Enjoy, entry due date is November 18, 2012. Have fun!

7xtoE.png

gopats1479

Mega Poster
Re: BBH's Simple Coaster Challenge - READ FIRST POST

If we make a woodie and have DasMatze's support overhaul set (which replaces the in-game default woodie supports with 3D ones, but is not technically CS), does it count as using CS?

I'm in no matter what the answer is, just wondering for those of us who already have the set.

reddude333

Giga Poster

^That would definitely be considered CS. It is at the very least custom content which we have been told is only allowed in the capacity of CTRs and CFRs (although I have no idea why we are allowed to use CFRs as they have nothing to do with making a coaster.

I like that you are limiting the entry time but I wouldn't be surprised if people around here don't get an entry in on time. I might do this (since I already have an idea) but it would require me to spend a significant amount of time on it.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I hope to get an entry in.

I am a person who hates having to use Custom Supports, but I do it not because this forums expects me to. It's for a matter of logistic.

An awful aspect of programming in RCT3 is that if you place scenery beneath the track on a tile that's occupied by a default support, the support will move. If there are no tiles free, then the support will vanish. Leaving a very unrealistic floating section of track.

This contest is deceptively much harder that you realise since you're grading realism. You must be more tactical with design than normally so you don't end up making in-game support vanish with station work, queue line work etc.

How do I prove I have in-game music playing in the station since the RCT3 video recorder records no sound?

BBH

Giga Poster

@reddude
CFR's are allowed if you're making a full theme park which will help your score.

@scw55
I'm talking about the realism not of the supports and such, but the coaster itself. Does it stay true to the manufacturer?, etc.

BBH

Giga Poster

scw55 said:
I hope to get an entry in.

I am a person who hates having to use Custom Supports, but I do it not because this forums expects me to. It's for a matter of logistic.

An awful aspect of programming in RCT3 is that if you place scenery beneath the track on a tile that's occupied by a default support, the support will move. If there are no tiles free, then the support will vanish. Leaving a very unrealistic floating section of track.

This contest is deceptively much harder that you realise since you're grading realism. You must be more tactical with design than normally so you don't end up making in-game support vanish with station work, queue line work etc.

How do I prove I have in-game music playing in the station since the RCT3 video recorder records no sound?
Fraps?

scw55

Hyper Poster

I'll build a coaster that doesn't last longer than 30seconds.

BBH

Giga Poster

scw55 said:
I'll build a coaster that doesn't last longer than 30seconds.
Is this supposed to be a joke or...?

Colossus

Giga Poster

Count me out of this, I enjoy the use of custom Scenery and simply put /i would never make and more importantly present a ride with those vulgar in-game supports.
Only the wood coasters don't look completely ridiculous with their in game supports.

It`s really ambitious to expect people to do a whole park, even if you increase the time limit, people wont want to do it, my Pentney Lakes project has been running for roughly 3 months and is about 40% complete as a park.

If you change the rules from whole park to just surrounding area, you might get more people in quicker.

BBH

Giga Poster

Again, it's not about the custom scenery, it's about the ride itself. I could care less about the supports, just as long as the ride itself is realistic, not the way it's supported.

I also extended the entry date and cut down the park recommendations as per the suggestions of a couple of people.

reddude333

Giga Poster

Yes, well this seems to be a bit too ambitious of a competition considering I probably won't love my final entry. I may submit something I made a while back but it would probably be embarrassing compared to what I can do now.

BBH

Giga Poster

Ambitious? I'm asking you to make a coaster, and skip the support stage. :lol:

scw55

Hyper Poster

25/75 - Park Overall - Terraining, terraforming, presentation, surrounding rides and queue work (surrounding area only required as per suggestions)
implies that a whole park needs to be built around it.

Colossus

Giga Poster

reddude333 said:
Yes, well this seems to be a bit too ambitious of a competition considering I probably won't love my final entry. I may submit something I made a while back but it would probably be embarrassing compared to what I can do now.

My point exactly, we don`t make coasters for the sake of it we spend days and weeks, sometimes months on our projects, because we love the rides we create and enjoy presenting the results because we`re proud of them, we have to be inspired.

We understand RCT 3 is just a game, but some of us don`t play it like that, we like to push our creative juices as far as the game will let us and if we can`t do that then people won`t be interested

Obviously the use of CS is not for everybody and that`s fine, it`s fine to have a test using the in game objects, especially for station and surrounding area, but as most of us are perfectionist`s the non allowance of custom supports is an issue.

I know you havent been around here long, but take a look at the caliber of creations that can be had on CF, all of these are made for competition.

Portemime

eridan07copier.jpg

eridan18copier.jpg

Myself

Shot0026.jpg

Shot0029.jpg

Reddude333

Hmmm6.png

Hmmm7.png

scw55

Hcvuz.jpg

sL0zj.jpg

Alternatively we had comp like this many moons ago where we could do only support work, nothing else.

Shot0014.jpg

Shot0015.jpg

So you could always let people do it, but still not judge it.

I`m not trying to be a **** just trying to help you out and get people interested in your comp.

BBH

Giga Poster

Only support work is allowed then, but it will not be factored into my judgement unless I'm blown away. ;)

scw55

Hyper Poster

My stance is that I hate C Supports but it's needed if you plan to flood the floor tiles with scenery or path work.

I think I might try an entry a realistic entry that doesn't use custom supports whilst using scenery. Might be an exciting challenge.

BBH

Giga Poster

scw55 said:
My stance is that I hate C Supports but it's needed if you plan to flood the floor tiles with scenery or path work.

I think I might try an entry a realistic entry that doesn't use custom supports whilst using scenery. Might be an exciting challenge.
If I can do it, sure as heck you can. :arrow: coasters are the best for this IMO.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

OK, so now that custom supports are allowed (even though they won't be judged), I think I can do this. It'll be in one of my parks. Maybe I'll finally build a B&M Invert and use Steel Jungle for the first time...

reddude333

Giga Poster

I'm still not sure what I will do for this comp. I don't want to just gloss over it and do nothing but I foresee the creation of an entire park (as I would want to get full points) to be quite time-consuming. Like I said, I may just enter an old creation but it would pale in comparison to what I can do now.

BBH

Giga Poster

I'm not saying you have to build an ENTIRE park. Just a surrounding area if you want extra credit.

SpongeBob put it best:
"But Mrs. Puff, I don't feel like I really did anything."
Mrs Puff: "That's how extra credit is SUPPOSED to feel!"