What's new

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I specifically remember doing one, so you're right:

Search function says CCI is too common, otherwise it could have been confused by the misplaced apostrophe in the original.

I should have gained a load last month, but nothing has changed since I last posted in there (unsurprisingly).
I knew it! And based on the dates, I must have scrolled right past it when I tried manually searching. Eh, it is what it is!

Matt N

CF Legend
As this is the thread for CCI discussion, I’d be intrigued to know; is Megafobia one of the more highly ranked CCIs, or is it just that the UK doesn’t have an awful lot of wooden coasters? Only asking because I’ve noticed that a lot of the British vloggers and enthusiasts who visit Oakwood seem to rave about Megafobia like it’s the best thing since sliced bread (“UK’s best wooden coaster” seems to come up quite a lot, even post-Wicker Man), but abroad, a lot of the CCIs seem to have faded into obscurity a bit (barring a select few; GhostRider and to a lesser extent rides like Boulder Dash and Tonnerre de Zeus come to mind, but even the former only really became popular again once GCI worked their magic on it).

I’d be very intrigued to know. For me, personally, Megafobia is good fun (a solid 8/10 for me), but I much prefer Wicker Man as far as UK woodies go (controversial, I know!). Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion on these rides, but I think for me, Wicker Man just provides stronger sensations, is smoother and has more comfortable trains, has stronger pacing, and I just enjoy it a lot more on the whole; a true 10/10 coaster!

For me, I think a quote from @Hixee, despite being in a different thread and about a completely different ride, sums it up quite well:
Hixee said:
It's good and all, but it's very 'old fashioned', and not in the "ah the good old days" kinda way - more the "look how far we've come" kinda way.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
is Megafobia one of the more highly ranked CCIs
In my sadly limited experience of CCIs, no it's not amongst the better ones. GhostRider is cheating like you mentioned but it's so superior in layout that it's rather incomparable. I can't see a rejuvenation of Megafobia putting it in the same league (though I'd be more than happy to get proved wrong on that).

is it just that the UK doesn’t have an awful lot of wooden coasters?
It's not quite this either, because that implies quantity is a factor in setting the bar so low, as opposed to quality. If we could just have one thing that was good (pretty much any other GCI would have sufficed) then Megafobia would have the carpet ripped from under it's footers.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
1 Boulder Dash - My #1, out of some 1,040 coasters I've ridden <3
2 Cornball Express - It's been 15 years.... But I'd love to reride it. Was in my top 5 wood for a long while.
3 Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain - absolutely LOVE this awful coaster.
4 Silver Comet - Still top 1- worthy <3
5 Timber Terror - Went to Silverwood expecting to love Tremors but ended up falling for this.
6 Cyclops - Legendary CCI airtime... well, until it was re-profiled. Still gonna give it the legendary status even if its been highly tamed.
7 Legend - So, so much better than Raven. <3
8 New Mexico Rattler - pretty awesome ride stuck in a park with somewhat meh operations and waayyyy to hot. #ripCCI
9 Excalibur - My first CCI and my first 'modern' woodie. Rode it the year it opened without even knowing it was at the park <3
10 GhostRider - Done it with both the PTC and GCI trains. Maybe over-hyped but its not a bad ride either.
11 Tremors - loved it but one train op's suxxx.
12 Cheetah - Even with G-Trains, I love this ride, Wild Adventures is my nearest non-home park and I try and visit at least once a year
13 Shivering Timbers - More I rode it, the less I liked it :|
14 Kingdom Coaster - Awesome midsized/family woodie
15 Megafobia - Kinda forgettable? Wasn't bad but it didn't live up to the hype either
16 Twisted Twins - Meh?
17 Great White - Kinda meh, it looks nice and its run smooth but it doesn't really do much for me.
18 Hurricane - Was on the last public train, ever. Got evac'd off the lifthill too.
19 Outlaw - the GCI CCI!
20 Tomahawk - EHh?
21 Cannonball Run - Meh but not bad, just not very good either. Oddly enough I made two visits to Waterville...yet I still haven't made it to the other CCI in Alabama.
22 Hoosier Hurricane - Meh
23 Underground - questionable credit
24 Zach's Zoomer - Is what it is
25 Stampida - Gross, and the *worst* trains, ever.
26 Pegasus - Gross
27 Boss - Meh, haven't done it since the helix removal (the worst part of the ride) but at least the ride *looks* beautiful
28 Zeus - Garbage
29 Raven - Dont @ me

Got around to getting myself to Alabama Adventure and riding Rampage! I'd probably put it right between Tremors and Cheetah, so 12th-ish out of the 30* I've ridden.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Here's my list:

1 - Great white - Morey's piers
2 - Excalibur - funtown splashtown
3 - megafobia (oakwood)
4 - Boulder dash - compounce - just don't get the hype over this one!
5 - stampida - PA
6 - tomahawk
7 - Tonerre de zeus - Asterix. was awful last time I rode it..

KentuckyCoasterFan

Roller Poster
1 - Ghostrider
2 - Boulder Dash
3/4 - Tie: The Boss and Shivering Timbers
5 - Legend
6 - Rampage
7 - Tremors
8 - Underground
9 - Pegasus
10 - Hoosier Hurricane
Everything after 10 isn't ranked, it's in random order because it would take too long to properly rank
Outlaw
Tonnerre de Zeus
Lost Coaster
Raven
Cyclops
Zach's Zoomer
Tomahawk
Timber Terror
Zeus
Mega Zeph (I was lucky to get this credit back in 2004 before the hurricane, back when I was only 12 years old)
Cornball Express
Stampida
New Mexico Rattler

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I could have SWORN we had a topic for one of the most popular coaster manufacturers of the 90s, but the search function turned up nil. CCI woodies became quite common at parks over time with some rides being regarded as top tier coasters and others ultimately yielding utter crap. Many still stand while others have recently been converted into RMC monsters, and some have even met a sad fate and have been removed. And because WHO DOESN'T LOVE A GOOD LIST THREAD, obviously, how do you rank the ones you've been on?!

1. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce - Truly a special ride with essentially nothing else to compare to. It's almost completely enshrouded in trees on the side of the hill throughout its lengthy layout.
  2. Medusa - Six Flags Mexico - The original Medusa was so darn good in its own right prior to its conversion due to its placement in a ravine and its unique layout. I can only imagine how good Medusa Steel Coaster is.
  3. Tonerre de Zeus - Parc Asterix - I rode this over a decade ago so its high ranking may come as a surprise, but back then it was smooth as glass and provided a long, airtime filled ride from start to finish.
  4. Excalibur - Funtown Splashtown - Another ride that used its length, speed, and airtime to bolster the ride's strength. It's a hidden gem up in Maine.
  5. Tremors - Silverwood Theme Park - I was a bit surprised that this isn't higher in my own list considering how I showered it in praise last week. It's excellent, but it's not quite as long as those above, it's slightly rougher, and it does have one or two slow spots. Granted, if I rode it a decade ago instead of now, I'd probably remember it even more fondly and rank it higher.
  6. Cornball Express - Indiana Beach - It's the surprise at the Beach. How'd they manage so much airtime in such a bizarre layout.
  7. Raven - Holiday World - If it was 500 feet longer, it'd be in the top three of this list. It has the same formula as those at the top, but it's just too short.
  8. Timber Terror - Silverwood Theme Park - Very good airtime but a fairly standard, short layout.
  9. Legend - Holiday World - I'm in the minority when it comes to Legend, but the ride is significantly better after GCI got its hands on it.
  10. Shivering Timbers - Michigan's Adventure - I still enjoy its hilly, mile long layout, but it's still a comparatively average ride.
  11. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain - Indiana Beach - Locosumo is the quirkiest of the list and it plays this strength well.
  12. Silver Comet - Fantasy Island - Another ride with which I'm apparently in the minority. It has its shining moments but the middle section is kind of dull.
  13. Cyclops - Mt. Olympus - All that needs to be known about this ride is that the final drop off the side of the hill is incredible.
  14. Boss - Six Flags St. Louis - I guess it's better now? I thought it was alright a decade ago.
  15. Zeus - Mt. Olympus - It exists.
  16. Hoosier Hurricane - Indiana Beach - It also exists.
  17. GhostRider - Knott's Berry Farm - Yet another minority opinion, granted I didn't get to ride it post GCI rework. I recall an incredibly rough ride with zero airtime and awful laterals. Sounds like how everybody describes Legend...maybe they're getting their rides mixed up?
  18. Pegasus - Mt. Olympus - It really wasn't bad at all, but it is the park's kids coaster so it's incredibly tame.
  19. Zach's Zoomer - Michigan's Adventure - See above. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just gauged for the young thrill seekers.
  20. Villain - Geauga Lake - It got the fate it deserved.

1. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
  2. Medusa - Six Flags Mexico
  3. Tonerre de Zeus - Parc Asterix
  4. Excalibur - Funtown Splashtown
  5. Tremors - Silverwood Theme Park
  6. Cornball Express - Indiana Beach
  7. Raven - Holiday World
  8. Timber Terror - Silverwood Theme Park
  9. Legend - Holiday World
  10. Shivering Timbers - Michigan's Adventure
  11. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain - Indiana Beach
  12. Silver Comet - Fantasy Island
  13. Cyclops - Mt. Olympus
  14. Boss - Six Flags St. Louis
  15. Outlaw - Adventureland
  16. Zeus - Mt. Olympus
  17. Hoosier Hurricane - Indiana Beach
  18. GhostRider - Knott's Berry Farm
  19. Underground - Adventureland
  20. Pegasus - Mt. Olympus
  21. Zach's Zoomer - Michigan's Adventure
  22. Villain - Geauga Lake

A couple additions after visiting Adventureland late last week. I was excited to ride Outlaw as it was the precursor to Mike Boodley splitting from CCI and forming GCI, but the ride was disappointingly mid. You can feel where more modern design methods were used, but the ride just isn't big enough to do much more than meander about. Underground is much more a dark ride than a coaster, but as a whole package, it's so terrible that it's enjoyable.

Indy

Hyper Poster
  1. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
  2. Shivering Timbers - Michigan's Adventure
  3. Villain - Geauga Lake
  4. Cornball Express - Indiana Beach
  5. Rampage - Alabama Adventure
  6. Cyclops - Mt. Olympus
  7. Outlaw - Adventureland
  8. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain - Indiana Beach
  9. Legend - Holiday World
  10. Raven - Holiday World
  11. GhostRider* - Knott's Berry Farm
  12. Boss - Six Flags St. Louis
  13. Hoosier Hurricane - Indiana Beach
  14. Twisted Twins - Kentucky Kingdom
  15. Cannonball Run - Waterville USA
  16. Zeus - Mt. Olympus
  17. Pegasus - Mt. Olympus
  18. Zach's Zoomer - Michigan's Adventure
  19. Cheetah - Wild Adventures
  20. Underground - Adventureland
*I haven't ridden it since the GCI reprofiling and retracking

cpfanatik77

Roller Poster
1. Boulder Dash
2. Shivering Timbers
3. Cornball Express
4. Raven
5. Excalibur
6. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain
7. The Legend
8. Hurricane
9. Hoosier Hurricane
10. Zach's Zoomer
11. The Villain

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I need to up my CCI game. 0.54% of the count?
Consider it upped. 1.38%.

1. GhostRider - The clear winner. Everything I love in a woodie. Is it cheating? Probably.
2. Cornball Express - The real winner. Everything I love in a restraint and the terror to back it up.
3. Raven - A bit of everything.
4. Legend - A bit more of everything.
5. Shivering Timbers - Love how much it does, but it's a tad vanilla.
6. Zeus - Surprisingly good.
7. Great White - Just plain good.

8 & 9. Stampida - Bags of fun as both a spectacle and a ride. Never disappointed.
10. Tonnere de Zeus - It amused me, it was alright.
11. Hoosier Hurricane - As did/was this.
12. Megafobia - Never caught it on a good day, so they say. Always disappointed.
13. Cyclops - Meh.
14. Outlaw - I don't even know what this is.

15. Tomahawk - Cute.
16. Underground - Not really a rollercoaster.
17. Zach's Zoomer - Barely any more of a rollercoaster.
18. Boss - Not cute.
19. Pegasus - Not cute at all.

Just booked some tickets for an imminent deux Zeus, so looking forward to that. Is it also cheating? Probably.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Just booked some tickets for an imminent deux Zeus, so looking forward to that. Is it also cheating? Probably.
0. Tonnere deux Zeus - Seems the whole holy trinity of wooden manufacturers has a knack for making CCIs better now.
1. GhostRider - The clear winner. Everything I love in a woodie. Is it cheating? Probably.
2. Cornball Express - The real winner. Everything I love in a restraint and the terror to back it up.
3. Raven - A bit of everything.
4. Legend - A bit more of everything.
5. Shivering Timbers - Love how much it does, but it's a tad vanilla.
6. Zeus - Surprisingly good.
7. Great White - Just plain good.
8 & 9. Stampida - Bags of fun as both a spectacle and a ride. Never disappointed.
10. Tonnere de Zeus - It amused me, it was alright.
11. Hoosier Hurricane - As did/was this.
12. Megafobia - Never caught it on a good day, so they say. Always disappointed.
13. Cyclops - Meh.
14. Outlaw - I don't even know what this is.
15. Tomahawk - Cute.
16. Underground - Not really a rollercoaster.
17. Zach's Zoomer - Barely any more of a rollercoaster.
18. Boss - Not cute.
19. Pegasus - Not cute at all.