What's new

Rank the Gravity Group coasters

Kalistos

Mega Poster
Interesting list! Also, I find it interesting that you pick up on Gravity Group coasters rattling; the only one I've ridden is Mine Blower, and while it certainly wasn't the smoothest of coasters in the front row, I wouldn't have said the rattling majorly affected the experience for me, and I certainly don't have the highest of roughness tolerances by any means! However, it is probably worth noting that I only rode it in the front; is it really that much worse in the back?
Yes, to me it is sometimes night and day between the back and the front, the front being always smoother. Before, I used to always go on the back for the airtime on a gravity group but not anymore. But hence why I did Mine Blower only one time and on the back row (should have done the front).
At some point I thought I was just being picky after hearing everyone praising Gravity Group and me not liking them that much and even having headaches. I didn't have any problems with the GCI but I always got assigned to the 1st row for almost all of them. And then I did T-Express and understood what was a genuine smooth and exceptionnal wooden (front or back are both as smooth as a good steel coaster). So nope, I don't agree, Gravity Group is not that good and I don't know why everyone is so forgetful of their roughness. Either this or they are very moody coasters. Which wouldn't surprise me as woodens are always very moody, specially the badly maintained ones in China.

Matt N

CF Legend
Yes, to me it is sometimes night and day between the back and the front, the front being always smoother. Before, I used to always go on the back for the airtime on a gravity group but not anymore. But hence why I did Mine Blower only one time and on the back row (should have done the front).
At some point I thought I was just being picky after hearing everyone praising Gravity Group and me not liking them that much and even having headaches. I didn't have any problems with the GCI but I always got assigned to the 1st row for almost all of them. And then I did T-Express and understood what was a genuine smooth and exceptionnal wooden (front or back are both as smooth as a good steel coaster). So nope, I don't agree, Gravity Group is not that good and I don't know why everyone is so forgetful of their roughness. Either this or they are very moody coasters. Which wouldn't surprise me as woodens are always very moody, specially the badly maintained ones in China.
Mine Blower is, while a bit on the rattly side, perfectly bearable from a smoothness perspective in the front; I'd recommend trying it the next time you're in Florida, as you can normally pick your row quite easily on Mine Blower, it would seem! I rode in the front for my only ride on it, so I'm not sure if I would have liked it as much had I ridden further back...

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
1 Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
2 Mine Blower - Fun Spot America
3 Zippin Pippin - Bay Beach Amusement Park
4 Wooden Warrior - Quassy Amusement Park
5 Hades (not 360) - Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park
6 Roar-O-Saurus - Story Land
7 Oscar's Wacky Taxi - Sesame Place

itching to back to KK for Kentucky Flyer and Switchback should happen next summer

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1 - Voyage - Delicious ride, a night ride on this bastard is on my to-do list
2 - Wooden Warrior - I loved this gem, unfortunately I was in a hurry so I only had 2 rides but man it's fun.
3 - Twister - Very re-rideable, lovely pops of airtime and just keeps on going.

No such thing as a poor Gravity Group imo.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I'm gonna hold off on putting together a ranking for another couple months. Gonna be adding a couple other creds soon (Ravine Flyer II and Kentucky Flyer) and also getting another chance at Voyage. But also, right now I'm really hesitant to say Voyage is my favorite GG. It's definitely an incredible ride when it considering the pacing, size, and location, but I just didn't fall in love with it like others have.

The others I've done are Roar-O-Saurus and Wooden Warrior. RoS is the other contender for my favorite GG. I got so many rides on that thing and it was a blast. Roar might be more consistent and just plain fun, and Voyage is more exciting. I really just need more Voyage rides, we'll see.

Oh, Wooden Warrior is definitely at the bottom though (still good though!).

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Ooooh I like this one! It really shows how good Gravity Group is when it comes to designing fantastic rides!

1. The Voyage - for obvious reasons. Pure sex for three minutes straight.
  2. Roar-o-saurus - The only bad thing about this little dino is that it's in the middle of New Hampshire. It's seriously one of the most rambunctious rides you'll go on - the airtime is almost RMC intense.
  3. Mine Blower - Without a doubt the best new for 2017 ride. It's simply amazing that they were able to design a ride that packed such a punch and did so much in such a tiny footprint.
  4. Ravine Flyer II - RFII has not lost any luster in my eyes. Every time I ride it, I ask why I don't have it ranked higher than it is because it's so damn good.
  5. Hades - I haven't ridden Hades in 13 or 14 years and I have no plans on doing it again any time soon, but I remember a fun, intense ride that's likely improved with the corkscrew and Timberliner trains.
  6. Wooden Warrior - It sucks seeing WW at the bottom of the pile because it's still a great little ride.

I'll have to keep my eyes on this topic - I might get on Zippin' Pippin next weekend, Kentucky Flyer in July, and Switchback and Boardwalk Bullet in September.

1. Voyage
  2. Roar-o-saurus
  3. Mine Blower
  4. Ravine Flyer II
  5. Hades
  6. Kentucky Flyer
  7. Wooden Warrior

Again, none of these rides are bad by any stretch of the imagination - Kentucky Flyer and Wooden Warrior are just smaller and weaker than the rest due to their target rider cohort.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Voyage
Twister
Switchback
Ravine Flyer II
Boardwalk Bullet
Kentucky Flyer
Wooden Warrior

Ten years ago I'd have put Boardwalk Bullet in second place but it really hasn't aged well.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
1. Mine Blower
2. Twister

I didn't rate either of the above particularly highly. I prefer the feel of most GCIs I have been on.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Another fun 'ole 2 coaster list
  1. Voyage- I mean obvs, it goes on for days and will not. let. up.
  2. Mine Blower- A bit too aggressive for my usual liking (I had to call it at 3 rides), but it's one helluva ride.

Make that three
3. Twister- not quite an airtime machine like the other two I’ve done, but it’s a fantastic coaster for its size and especially location.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
After Voyage, does it really matter?

Here are my ranks, and their relative position within my overall ranking:

2VoyageDude, this is the ****.
10Ravine Flyer IIThis has been getting mixed reviews of late as it ages, but I still have quite excellent rides on it.
51Boardwalk BulletThis is a really cool layout and placement. My main critique was losing steam in the second half of the ride.
166Kentucky FlyerBest train design ever.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Yay, more Gravity.

1. Jungle Trailblazer (Zhengzhou) - Visit the top 10 thread to see me gushing about this thing.
2. Fjord Flying Dragon - Goes on for days, delivers perfectly throughout.
3. Jungle Trailblazer (Wuhu) - Almost perfect with a really well executed inversion, just got one big slow turnaround.
4. Wooden Coaster - Fireball - First half is a bit of an older style with bigger drops and turns. Refreshingly gets better towards the end.
5. Jungle Trailblazer (Jinan) - Stays really low to the ground a lot of the time, with incredible results. Took a little time for me to warm to it and the inversion feels pointless.
6. Dueling Dragon (Blue) - Goes on for days, gets a little slow at the end. Shame it didn't duel.
7. Wood Express - Amazing little thing, delivers perfectly throughout.
8. Timber - Stronger than the above, but feels jarringly short in comparison.
9. Cú Chulainn - Starts strong, dies out quite badly.
10. Jungle Trailblazer (Xiamen) - Starts strong, dies out even quicker.
11. Twister - Cute and impressive ride but I didn't manage to fall for it. The restraints seemed awkwardly higher up on your body, the staff were stapling, Grona Lund in general gave me a headache and it was obnoxiously loud.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I'm gonna hold off on putting together a ranking for another couple months.
Well let's do it then.

1. Ravine Flyer II - Got some night rides on this and it was so ****ing good. Loved the layout as well, the lower sections were out of control.

2. Voyage - Finally got some excellent rides on this beast, thanks to the retrack. I wouldn't say it's the best airtime-wise but the pace, speed, transitions, and length make for such a special ride.

3. Roar-O-Saurus - Sat on this thing for 14 rides back when it opened and it was stupid fun. It's actually pretty violent, and the airtime gets better towards the end.

4. Wooden Warrior - Pretty solid stuff, but a step down from RoS (that's in a league of its own when it comes to the family woodies honestly). Good pops of airtime, not much else to say really.

5. Kentucky Flyer - Heard this was among the lower end of the family woodies and that's what I got. It has some decent airtime, but it's just not as exciting as the others. The setting isn't the best either. I mean, still a solid ride, can't go wrong with it.

Matt N

CF Legend
Interesting to see someone who still loves Ravine Flyer II! Of course rides can vary and all, but hype for RFII really seemed to have fallen by the wayside a little as of late, so nice to see such a big fan!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You can still put me down as an RFII lover as well. Rode it earlier this year and still gives a great ride.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Definitely one of my favorite manufacturers, as Gravity Group manages to deliver regardless of the size of coaster, I rank them:

1) Voyage - No explanation needed. This my all time favorite coaster. It's relentless for 2 minutes straight and delivers in every category, insane airtime, laterals, and positive Gs
2) Dauling Dragon - I was pleasantly surprised by this awesome ride! It starts with a few crazy ejector moments (the high five being absolutely incredible), it tapers off a bit at the end but still amazing
3) Boardwalk Bullet - What a hidden gem! Similar to DD the first section of this ride is sop relentless and intense. There's great airtime throughout and it's so compact.
4) Roar-o-saurus - This ride is just plain CRAZY! I didn't expect such violent airtime from such a little coaster.
5) Wooden Warrior - It's basically a tamer version of Roar-o-saurus but it still has some great airtime, especially in the first half.
6) Twister - I love the intensity and compact nature of this little coaster. Great airtime as well.
7) Kentucky Flyer - In my opinion the weakest of the mini GG's that I've done, but that not saying much because it's still a ton of fun!

REALLY need to make trips over to Mt Olympus and Waldameer for more Gravity Group goodness.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Was gonna question this, but you fixed it. Good man.

Nearly 50% of the list :rolleyes:

1. Jungle Trailblazer (Zhengzhou) - Visit the top 10 thread to see me gushing about this thing.
2. Fjord Flying Dragon - Goes on for days, delivers perfectly throughout.
3. Jungle Trailblazer (Wuhu) - Almost perfect with a really well executed inversion, just got one big slow turnaround.
4. Wooden Coaster - Fireball - First half is a bit of an older style with bigger drops and turns. Refreshingly gets better towards the end.
5. Jungle Trailblazer (Jinan) - Stays really low to the ground a lot of the time, with incredible results. Took a little time for me to warm to it and the inversion feels pointless.
6. Dueling Dragon (Blue) - Goes on for days, gets a little slow at the end. Shame it didn't duel.
7. Wood Express - Amazing little thing, delivers perfectly throughout.
8. Cú Chulainn - Starts strong, dies out quite badly.
9. Jungle Trailblazer (Xiamen) - Starts strong, dies out even quicker.
10. Twister - Cute and impressive ride but I didn't manage to fall for it. The restraints seemed awkwardly higher up on your body, the staff were stapling, Grona Lund in general gave me a headache and it was obnoxiously loud.

Interesting....aren't a lot of the jungle trailblazers copies of each other? interesting to see such different results between the different ones - I'd kinda though 'ride one - ridden all' - why do you think they are so different in delivery?

rctneil

Roller Poster
My ranking:

Voyage, Holiday World - Just relentless, the speed is fantastic. Complete workout to ride
Fireball, Happy Valley Shanghai - Really enjoyed it
Mine Blower, Fun Spot America - Super fun little ride. Did not find it rough at all.
Cu Chulainn, Tayto Park - Looks weird in that park but a really great ride. Got 30 rides in a day on it
Ravine Flyer II, Waldameer - Wish i could have ridden it more
Twister, Grona Lund - Incredible what a great ride they got in such a small spot.
Dauling Dragon (Blue), Happy Valley Wuhan - Blue side was better, not sure why. Needs Timberliners
Dauling Dragon (Red), Happy Valley Wuhan, needs timberliners
Hades, Mt Olympus - Horrible
Kentucky Flyer, Kentucky Kingdom - Just didn't rate it.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Not done many, done way more GCIs but here goes:
Ravine Flyer II- didn't live up to the hype, was rough
Wooden Warrior- decent for a kiddie cred
Should be getting some of the larger ones in a couple of months so will have a more rounded opinion then.
Back to update.

1. The Voyage - no explanation necessary really
2. Ravine Flyer II - now, last year this didn't live up to the hype, this year I rerode in the dark and it was amazing! Wondering whether they did some track work over the winter as last year it seemed a lot rougher.
3. Hades 360 - This thing is insane and not very rerideable imo because it beats you up, but one heck of a ride!
4. Wooden Warrior - Ok for it's size.
5. Kentucky Flyer- not as good as WW, found it a little meh but it's ok.

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Interesting....aren't a lot of the jungle trailblazers copies of each other? interesting to see such different results between the different ones - I'd kinda though 'ride one - ridden all' - why do you think they are so different in delivery?
Because all the ones I listed there are completely different layouts.

The Jungle Trailblazer clones as of writing this are:
Jinan & Ningbo
Zhengzhou & Nanning
and Zhuzhou is a clone of Fjord Flying Dragon