What's new

Rank the Goliaths

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Of all the Six Flags staples, having large coasters named Goliath seems like one of the most well known, and ranking is always fun, in my opinion, so I thought it might be fun to rank the coasters named Goliath! Even though I spoke about Six Flags above, this does include Goliath at Walibi Holland, which was a Six Flags park when Goliath was built.

I’ll get the ball rolling with my ranking. I haven’t ridden any of them, but if I had to approximate based on my taste in rollercoasters as well as reviews, I’d probably go for:
  1. Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia
  2. Goliath at Walibi Holland
  3. Goliath at Six Flags Great America
  4. Goliath at La Ronde
  5. Goliath at Six Flags Fiesta Texas
  6. Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain
  7. Goliath at Six Flags New England
But how would you personally rank the Goliaths?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Yay, ranking topics! Who doesn't love a good rank?
I've ridden 3:

1. Goliath at Walibi Holland. Superb coaster, used to be in my top 10.
2. Goliath at Six Flags Great America. Not great by RMC standards, but still a bit of a beast.
3. Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Meh.

Out of the remaining Goliaths, the one at Six Flags Over Georgia is the one I'd like to ride the most.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll rank all of them, with the ones I've ridden slotted in in bold.
  1. Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia - I love B&M hypers, okay, and this is meant to be the best of the lot.
  2. Goliath at Six Flags Great America - Which the stall loops epic, this is very short coaster and I think that'll make it suffer.
  3. Goliath at La Ronde - This one is actually geniunely brilliant.
  4. Goliath at Walibi Holland - It's good and all, but it's very 'old fashioned', and not in the "ah the good old days" kinda way - more the "look how far we've come" kinda way.
  5. Goliath at Six Flags New England - See above, but less good.
  6. Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain - The first drop and big helix are rather cool, but size over substance mostly.
  7. Goliath at Six Flags Fiesta Texas - Got spited by this, so that drops it one or two positions, but also it's just another batman clone and I've done enough of them now. They're all the same, they're all alright.
Interestingly, none of them are actually terrible. Even #7 is better than most crap out there. :p

Hutch

Strata Poster
5. Goliath at Six Flags New England - See above, but less good.

Interestingly, none of them are actually terrible. Even #7 is better than most crap out there. :p
If you think Goliath at SFNE is any decent... well... don't even bother. :p

I've only done a couple, but I know SFNE's is in my overall bottom 3. It has the worst train/restraint design I've ever done, and goes out of your way to beat up your entire body.

1. Goliath - SFGAm.
2. Goliath - Walibi Holland.
3. Goliath - SFOG.
4. Goliath - La Ronde
5. Goliath - Fiesta Texas
6. Goliath - SFMM
7. Goliath - SFNE

Over Georgia's might actually be the best one (it definitely has the best layout), but it's a tad rattly. I also have all my RMC's ranking above it, so I think placing Great America's on top makes sense for me. (And Walibi's looks quite good too).

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Nice thread question!

I haven't ridden any of them, but if asked about my preference, I think I'd have put Goliath at the top. Big drops and airtime, what's not to love? Second would be Goliath, as it looks like a really fun coaster too but has some apparent drawbacks detracting a little from the overall ride experience. Then Goliath clocks in at third with Goliath in fourth, as both of them appear to ride somewhat similarly. They begin with a big drop and go fast over hills and such. Bonus points for Goliath for appearing in RCT2 and being quite an awesome coaster there. So did Goliath, come to think of it, but from reports it seems like it hasn't aged as well as Goliath did, so it'll get fifth place. Then Goliath in sixth place - it looks fun, if a little too overdone by being cloned so many times - and finally Goliath at the bottom. It has the same conceptual flaws as Goliath while also enjoying a rather poor reputation.

Oh, and a shout-out to Goliath Jr., which has now been renamed, but the sheer concept of a kiddy coaster named Goliath is quite fun (also, why not call it David? Too biblical?). Anyway, I think I would slot it in just below Goliath.

hendrixmarshall

Roller Poster
I'm going to do bold for ridden Goliaths...Maybe we should do "Timbers" list next?
1. Walibi
2. SFGAm
3. SFOG
4. SFFT
5. La Ronde
6. SFMM (First grey out!)
SFNE - Meh...shuttles