What's new

Queue Questions

CoasterfanSWE

Roller Poster
Hello

First of all, attempts were made to find threads answering the questions, however no very relevant ones were found. If despite this there would already be a topic answering the questions asked in this post, I sincerely aplogize for the inconvenience and will attempt to take appropriate actions.

Looking through many older post on these forums, I found a thread where it was stated that the ride operators directed the visitors to certain rows in the train instead of giving them the freedom of choice. Living in a country consisting of rather few parks, at the ones I have visited I have never encountered anything like that. For future references (and to avoid potential surprises/let-downs) I wish to ask;

1. Is it a common practise throughout amusement parks to direct the riders to a certain row of the train instead of giving them the freedom to choose by themselves?

2. Regardless of the answer to previous question, which parks and rollercoasters (more re-known in Europe most prominently, but re-known american ones are appreaciated as well) utilize this practise?

While I am asking questions regarding queue systems, I am also having wonders regarding singe-rider queues. Due to the previously stated lack of experience I have yet to encounter single-rider queues and am uncertain regarding the usage of such.

3. How are single-rider queues handled? Does the way they are handled vary between different parks/rides? (generally asking about major differencies)

4. Which re-known rollercoasters (preferably in Europe and US) utilize a single-rider queue?

*EDIT: Note that "re-known" is not necessarily solely refferering to parks of Disney, Merlin, Six Flags or other famous brands but any park that would be concidered noteworthy.

While I realise those might be quite obvious questions, these sort of practises are not utilized in the parsk I have visited, so it is very appreaciated to have them answered for future references and I hope it is okay that I ask them.

Thank you in advance.

1. Depends. Cedar fair parks use to let you chose, but now with fast lane they'll tell you where to go to. Of course if you ask to go somewhere surely they'll let you go, unless it's that time of the month.
2. Cedar fair parks. Sorry, that's the only chain I've been to :(
3. The park staff will direct single riders to empty seats, or have them sit with other single riders. As for the second part in your third question, the staff don't really care about where any riders go in rides that nobody goes on. Hope that kinda-sorta answered your question ;)

1. It does depend. Alton usually allow you to go wherever but on Rita, you're told where to go. Same with Thorpe with Stealth and Saw.

2. Both my examples are Merlin.

3. Whenever there's a spare seat, the people in the single rider fill those seats up. The Nemesis one can be forgotten about whereas the staff are nealy constantly keping an eye out for spare seats on Rita and Spinball.

1 - As mentioned, Merlin have it on a few rides at UK parks (Swarm is also one) - all of the one's mentioned (except saw) do have a front row queue.

Also - Hersheypark had it on Skyrush
Blackpool's old woodies have small loading stations - So you may be asked to move forward if trying to wait for a certain row.

1. Most of the parks I have been to have had a free-for all policy (sure a separate front row queue, but that's pretty standard). There are a few exceptions though, a few rides that have a guy point you towards a row or in some cases where a specific number of people is let into the station each time to fill the train.

2. Blue-Fire <3
They use points you towards a certain row all the time and it works brilliantly, thanks to this then they get a smooth flow of all passengers, front row, normal queue and the single rider ones.

3. On blue-fire again, it was a big difference between who was manning the entry gate. It all depended on how they arranged the groups from the normal queue how the single rider were let on.
But most of the time they are usually pretty efficient on filling up the seats.

2. Disney. They have a policy of "no preferred seating" and have very organised systems of allocating rows based on clearly labelled numbers. Well, that's the case at Paris and California, so I assume it's the same elsewhere. Whilst it might be annoying if you fancy a certain row, it does mean that on the whole (California Screamin' was the only exception where they were consistently doing a crap job of it) trains are batched and dispatched with incredible efficiency which keeps the queues moving at a rapid pace.

3. As for single rider queues, they don't have them for that many rides, but the ones they do have are generally handled well. In most cases they use a system of pass cards to distinguish single riders. As they allocate rows to people, it makes it easier for them to spot single spaces, so easier for them to seat single riders quickly.

2.I know that Port Aventura has it on all their rides. At least when there's a big queue. I don't remember any other park that utilizes it that frequently? Like others have said Merlin got it on a few rides. But fortunately most of the time you can choose for yourself :)

At least they don't got a front seat line for Kahn or Baco. I haven't been in a while so I don't know whether Shambhala got one or not..

Overall, it depends on how crowded the park is and how many riders are waiting in line.

Skyrush, Maverick, and Diamondback for instance can have moments where a ride op assigns you a row to sit in. If it is a slow day in the park however, you are able to select your seats.

The reason for seat assignment is it makes the station queue run much more smoothly and efficiently, reducing congestion and allowing everyone to be in place to load the train asap.