What's new

Python at Efteling - New trains again?!

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
I stumbled across Python on RCDB again recently, and noticed that they've decided to replace the trains, yet again.

So I guess the story goes, it opened with Arrow trains which were replaced with Vekoma trains in the 90s (you know, those horrible, cramped, round things). Then in 2005, they were replaced by trains from KumbaK, which frankly looked awesome, but I have no idea how they rode. Then six years later, these were replaced by new Vekoma trains (with the vest harnesses).

I guess the main thing that caught my eye, was that the KumbaK trains were replaced by the new style Mk-1212 trains from Vekoma.

Does anyone know why they decided to switch so soon? I don't think the KumbaK trains would've been such a catastrophic mess, since Sea World Australia decided to purchase one (or maybe two?) for their Sea Viper coaster.

Thanks, and all that stuff.

Sneaky

Roller Poster
From what I've read on a dutch forum, the Kumbak trains were needed to be replaced, simply becouse they were already worn.
I don't know how much of this is true though.
Also, Python turned 30 years old last year and that would've been the other reason the trains are replaced (again)

andrus

Giga Poster
I thought the KumbaK trains were great! They're nice looking and had enough room to fit a tall person like me, unlike the new Mk-1212 Vekoma trains.

Lofty

CF Legend
Anything Kumbak touches turns to ****. Stampida, prime example.

Thankfully, they've got the new Vekoma trains <3

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Surely the KumbaK trains couldn't have become so worn out that they needed to be replaced, after only six years of operation? It just seems a little strange to me that they'd produce trains with such a short life span...

Lofty

CF Legend
dj-fireball999 said:
Surely the KumbaK trains couldn't have become so worn out that they needed to be replaced, after only six years of operation? It just seems a little strange to me that they'd produce trains with such a short life span...
All sources say this happened and the fact they got new trains, it's probably factually correct. Also, you do realise it's Kumbak, right? ;)

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I don't think its a case of that they were worn out, it's simply a case of 'these are terrible, those ones are better'. Efteling has the money to splash out on things like that, its one of the 25 busiest theme parks in the world.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
I don't think they were that terrible, considering that I've only heard good things about the KumbaK trains on Sea Viper at Sea World Australia. I guess if you can afford to get new trains, the why the hell not? :--D

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
No, they were awful. Worse than the trains on corkscrew imo. I don't know what Kumbak were thinking when they 'designed' the seats, but the only train I've experienced with a worse back would be the abomination that was Viper at SF GAdv. The bits just dug in uncomfortably, felt like you were in one of those horrible massage chairs off of Shopping Centres.