What's new

Pricebuster

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Much has been made of BPB's decision to start charging for those who just meander through the park. To me, I don't have any great problem with that, if the wristband price stays at a more reasonable level, as the current £20 entry if booked online is.

If it keeps through traffic down, and encourages people to stay within the walls of the Pleasure beach, then it is no bad thing. That said, I have yet to see a park where the system works - take Drayton Manor as an example, who ditched the system quite quickly.

To me, the answer would be to charge by attraction type; for example you could have a thrill-seeker wristband at about £35, which would entitle the wearer to a meal and drink to the value of about £7-8 and full ride access, a Multi pass, at about £25 with the same deal, but to go on 'a' grade rides, you would have to pay a supplementary £1 charge, and thirdly I would introduce a £10 'Blackpool pass' which is the minimum pre-requisite for entry, but would entitle holders entry to other attractions outside the park, at a reduced rate.

What I want to know though, is what you would perceive to be the best pricing system for BPB, or even any other park, in need of a change.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
BPPB should have gone with a 1-quid entry fee if they wanted to charge a gate to the non-riding grannies, and kept the original pricing scheme for the wristbands.

I always thought it was stupid for parks to charge everybody admission. I like the systems that have it where you can get a wristband if you're gonna ride the rides, and if you're not, you don't have to pay anything. I can understand maybe charging a $5 entrance fee for those who aren't gonna ride, but for parks like Six Flags, paying $40-50 to go into the park when you're not gonna ride anything is quite a ripoff.

AmandaPanda

Mega Poster
I like something like this:
Over 1.4 Highest price
1.2 - 1.4 Slightly cheaper
0.9 - 1.2 Cheap
Children 3 or under free
Concessions 60-75 at a cheap price, and 70+ free
Disabled + 2 carers Cheap

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I have absolurtely no problem with the 5 pound charge - I only wish other theme parks could do a similar rate for non riders.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Why would you go to a park and not ride anything? I understand it if there is more to do there than just rides, like a boardwalk or something, but who would go to SF parks and not ride anything if they don't have a season pass?

Martyn B

CF Legend
Why would you go to a park and not ride anything?

If you live by, and fancy a walk, or you're going to get pics of a new ride being built?

I always thought it was stupid for parks to charge everybody admission.

Not a Blackpool it isn't. I for one am quite glad of it, it keeps the scum from Blackpool, who just want to cause trouble, out. Blackpool Pleasure Beach has the same security measures as our airports, its quite a rough place, if it weren't for the Pleasure Beach, or the really good Zoo, I would never ever go there.

But the Pleasure Beach is special, so any coaster fan has to go there.

A

Anonymous

Trouble in the park has been cut but there will always be the morons who are there just to cause trouble. Yes at times its a ripoff but its worth it at times.

Blackpool is your average seaside town with money isses. Yes its the piss up capital of the northwest with the stag n hen nights and the gambling dens. Alcohol is a big thing in blackpool it is one of the issues but some problems is just the rough nature of some of the people in the town.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I think they are OTT with security, I mean it's so strict yet very little has happened for them to become that way.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
CMonster said:
Why would you go to a park and not ride anything? I understand it if there is more to do there than just rides, like a boardwalk or something, but who would go to SF parks and not ride anything if they don't have a season pass?

Yeah, as someone said, you can just have a wander about, but, more to the point, it gives parents who don't want to ride the opportunity to take their kids, who want to ride, and not have to pay for their efforts.

In terms of Blackpool, I don't think a fiver to get in as a non-rider is that bad actually, but it would've been nice for them to reduce wristband prices when they did that. As it is, its still £30 on the gate, which is expensive anyway, and now you've got to pay £5 on top of that for every rider. Yeah, you can get tickets for £20 on the 'net, but I bet a large proportion of people don't buy online still.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Ormerod said:
I think they are OTT with security, I mean it's so strict yet very little has happened for them to become that way.

The bag search completely caught me out; especially when I went through with various keys that I'd forgotten about in my pocket, what I'd assumed to be metal detectors, while a lady in the booth next to me got told she couldn't bring outside food into the park. It left me really unsure of what the searches were actually for.