What's new

Predicting the most successful new coaster type of the 2020s.

What new coaster type will most succeed in the 2020s?

• Swing Launch, Intamin

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Axis, S&S

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • T-Rex, RMC

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Steel Track, GCI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Next Gen Flying Coaster, Vekoma

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Suspended Thrill Coaster, Vekoma

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm expecting the first T-Rex to potentially be very expensive when one is built; I could see it being one of the priciest coasters ever built (I'm talking in terms of ride hardware alone, not including all of the big themed experience coasters that Disney & Universal have built), especially if it hits 500+ft as Alan Schlike has hinted that the T-Rex was designed to do!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I'm expecting the first T-Rex to potentially be very expensive when one is built; I could see it being one of the priciest coasters ever built (I'm talking in terms of ride hardware alone, not including all of the big themed experience coasters that Disney & Universal have built), especially if it hits 500+ft as Alan Schlike has hinted that the T-Rex was designed to do!
Isn't this a very roundabout way of saying "the biggest coaster ever built will also be the most expensive coaster ever built"? Kinda goes without saying, really.

And also a counterpoint to the whole T-Rex thing: if you're going to shell out for the most expensive ride ever built, why would you go for a model without a proven track record? I would expect the first T-Rex to be built at a more reasonable size for that reason. Not many hyper coasters are built in the first place, and already there are several manufacturers competing for those few contracts worldwide. If the T-Rex is designed to only be applicable when somebody wants to beat a world record, RMC better be prepared to wait for a long, long time. That sort of record breaking doesn't happen very often these days.