What's new

PortAventura | Ferrari Land | New Area

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Re: Ferrari Land PortAventura

Jordanovichy said:
There's more to it going 'higher' or 'faster' than existing coasters. I'd be happy with the same sort of speed/height of existing accelerators, what I'd like to see is new elements added to the generic oval shape of an Intamin accelerator, maybe a different shape, a different way the train interacts with the track. I'm not really looking forward to the generic record breaker, I'd like to see something new and different.

Yeah I definitely agree, there's so much more that can be done with a launched coaster, it's a shame though, from the concept art, it seemed just to be a regular top hat layout. :( To be honest i'm not the biggest fan of Intamin's restraints, and until they fix them, i'd rather leave it to Mack to create launched coasters with exciting layouts.

Lofty

CF Legend

owenrita121 said:
It seems strange that a park with such amazing theming around different counties would add a land like this. I would get it if they added an area called Italy and had a Ferrari themed coaseter in that area but this just doesn't seem right for a park like PA.
It's not a 'land' in terms of an additional area of the park, it's a completely separate entity. The best way to explain it is DLP and The Studios Park.

When it comes to the coaster, I highly doubt you'll see it being taller than Shambhala. HIGHLY doubt it.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

silenthillXD said:
To be honest I don't think any park in the world has enough money to invest in a ride that tall. In all honesty I doubt many have the money to even afford a 400ft ride. I expect this to be 250-300ft, certainly not much higher unfortunately.

I actually think there's lot's of park that have the financial muscles to build one. I don't think well se one though, they are lot's of better ways to spend that much money and the problems they had to get Kingda Ka to launch fast enough to clear the top hat is not helping to sell them either.

Lofty said:
When it comes to the coaster, I highly doubt you'll see it being taller than Shambhala. HIGHLY doubt it.

Wasn't there a magazine article where they stated the new coaster would top Shambhala?

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Every article I've seen is cleverly worded 'Europe's tallest launch coaster' or 'Tallest of it's kind' etc. I've not saw one yet that mentions it will top Shambhala :)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Well if we go by the preview videos made by the park, it shows that the coaster has a full vertical twist down, just like Kingda ka / Top Thrill, so its gotta be 300ft+ to accommodate such element.

Lofty

CF Legend

Yes but how many times have we seen preview videos that aren't the same as the coaster themselves and are merely a form of visual explanation to the project.

coaster addict

Mega Poster

silenthillXD said:
Jordanovichy said:
There's more to it going 'higher' or 'faster' than existing coasters. I'd be happy with the same sort of speed/height of existing accelerators, what I'd like to see is new elements added to the generic oval shape of an Intamin accelerator, maybe a different shape, a different way the train interacts with the track. I'm not really looking forward to the generic record breaker, I'd like to see something new and different.

Yeah I definitely agree, there's so much more that can be done with a launched coaster, it's a shame though, from the concept art, it seemed just to be a regular top hat layout. :( To be honest i'm not the biggest fan of Intamin's restraints, and until they fix them, i'd rather leave it to Mack to create launched coasters with exciting layouts.

We concur that adding new elements to these type of launch rides would be nice. Also, we'd love to see a longer track with additional elements used for high-speed / taller launch rides like this. That may be wishful thinking though. As it pertains to the Intamin restraints, we LOVE the restraints on TTD and Millennium Force - simple, free, and fun! We have not been on Kingda Ka, but those seem to be the same restraints that Maverick have, and we much prefer TTD's and even the I-305's restraints over those headache-producing ones! Agree?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Lofty said:
Yes but how many times have we seen preview videos that aren't the same as the coaster themselves and are merely a form of visual explanation to the project.

However, I've never seen PA misrepresent their rides.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Going to get in there first:

It looks really slow from the video.

oriolat2

Giga Poster

I guess this picture below makes it kind of official:

th720_645e9bb8633e5cebdbbd50e9be503e90.jpg

The image shows the teaser for the upcoming Ferrari Land, expected to open in 2016.

Source: PA-Community.com

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster

Ferrari + PortAventura = Stuff I will bite my tongue over until I die.

Anyway I think it will be a great addition to their resort and will attract "other-buzz" adrenaline junkies to the park.

marc

CF Legend
Ferrari Land PortAventura

This could be a bad idea now seeing alonso is leaving Ferrari.

The Spanish are very loyal to him and when he left mclaren they did not react well to that team. Will be interesting to see how this goes as its Ferrari that are meant to have let him go.

Alex23

Roller Poster
According to a user on Towers Street the coaster is going to be called "The Formula" and will be 360ft tall. I cant find this anywhere on the web but just thought I'd pass it on :)

Smithy

Strata Poster
Well it'll sure stand out on the skyline of the park, can see Shambhala from most of Salou as it is. Not a fan of accelerators personally so from a selfish point of view I'm hoping there's a lot more to this area than just an accelerator.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
It seems like the area also has bumper cars and a dark ride?
Could be a restaurant or a shop though. A few flats would be nice as the park lacks in thrilling flat rides.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
In the concept art, it seemed as if the accelerator will have a Zumanjaro Drop of Doom-type attraction slapped on it's face. This will obviously be much shorter than Zumanjaro, but it's probably going to be the tallest drop ride in Spain, if not all of Europe. Can anyone actually confirm that?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Well if the facts are right about the height of the accelerator, then it would be only a small amount taller than Condor, wouldn't that make Condor a bit pointles now? Seems strange.

marc

CF Legend
Is this still happening?

On some f1 forums people are saying it might not as Alonso has left Ferrari and it might not be that popular now.

It probably just people putting two and two together and coming up with 5.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
marc said:
Is this still happening?

On some f1 forums people are saying it might not as Alonso has left Ferrari and it might not be that popular now.

It probably just people putting two and two together and coming up with 5.
Yeah the area is still happening, the park has started promoting it and I think clearing has started but don't quote on that.
I

Lofty

CF Legend
Ground work has in fact started on the new area and it is reportedly still on schedule. The new coaster is also rumoured to be around 360ft tall - how true that is is up to your personal interpretation.